Pickling -Who pickles?

stlrman

Pickling -Who pickles?
« on: 1 Jul 2019, 03:23 pm »
So , I have always wanted to pickle !!!  I love pickles !! Sour tomatoes, I seem to only get in Philadelphia, but love them .  They get served in some Delicatessens .. they are very sour , and really great !!
So my wife and daughter bought me kit with 10 jars and seasoning packets . Plan to give it a go later this  summer .
For now I just added carrots , small tomatoes, one cherry to try it ,real thin cut cucumber, basil, later today crushed red peppers, to some pickle juice that I had from a jar of pickles .

I know pickling is pretty basic. I have watched many YouTube videos .

Do you make your own pickles? What veggies do you pickle ? I’m sure yellow and orange peppers would be great .   What’s your secret to awesome pickles and pickled veggies?

Do you order any special pickles from boutique pickle companies?
I’m cheap, so 6 to $8 for pickles seems crazy. Plus I’d rather make my own brine.

I plan to make all ten jars and give most away to neighbors and friends .

I must get to the Picklesburgh festival this year.
Peace and Pickles !,
Todd

ctviggen

Re: Pickling -Who pickles?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2019, 06:10 pm »
That sounds awesome, the Picklesburgh festival. I like dill pickles. Bubbies makes a great, fermented (and kosher*) dill pickle.  I've also found similar pickles at a Polish deli.  There's a local (CT) place that makes great regular dill pickles.  These are all expensive.

I always wanted to make my own, preferably fermented, but I just never have the time. 

* Usually, I don't like kosher pickles, which I find to be bland. But these are really quite good.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2019, 07:19 pm »
My wife takes grocery store brand dills, cuts them into fat wafers, then adds spices, sugar, and peppers.  They turn out very tasty... sweet, spicy, and hot. 

simoon

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2019, 07:54 pm »
My girlfriend and I make our own pickles!

Only REAL fermented pickles. No vinegar for us, only brined and cultured. Why not get the probiotics while you enjoy pickles?

We pickle: cucumbers with habanaros, tomatoes, make our own kimchee, make our own sauerkraut (sometimes add golden beets). Maybe a few other fermented veggies I forgot to mention.

I agree about being a very good brand. Real brined and fermented pickles. Another brand that is as good, is Ba-tampte. 

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2019, 08:36 pm »
I've experimented with making my own kimchi a few times. Makes me appreciate why it costs as much as it does, amazing how a mountain of veg compacts into such a small container after brining.

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2019, 08:26 pm »
I forgot to mention one of my favorites. Pickled red onions , which I will be making as well .

This weekend was Picklesburgh festival . Pickle sorbet mixed  over vanilla ice cream, pickle beer , didn’t try that as J don’t really drink too often . Spicy pickle brine shots for me and my daughter!! Non alcoholic.
Picked up a jar of spicy dill , pickles spicy jam, red pepper spread , ate perogies. Lots of samples , yummy pizza with pickles veggies.
It was packed !! Three day festival . They close off the Roberto Clemente bridge.
Fun !!!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2019, 08:57 pm »
My girlfriend and I make our own pickles!

Only REAL fermented pickles. No vinegar for us, only brined and cultured. Why not get the probiotics while you enjoy pickles?

We pickle: cucumbers with habanaros, tomatoes, make our own kimchee, make our own sauerkraut (sometimes add golden beets). Maybe a few other fermented veggies I forgot to mention.

I agree about being a very good brand. Real brined and fermented pickles. Another brand that is as good, is Ba-tampte. 

How do you deal with the smell from the fermenting process?

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2019, 10:29 pm »
I usually get myself in a pickle. Does that count?

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2019, 11:54 pm »
Hi,
     One Xmas not to long ago I had zip for money to buy presents. I went to the grocery store and bought a case of Ball or Bell canning jars and a ton of eggs. I made pickled eggs for presents. !/2 water, 1/2 vinegar, onions, red pepper, black pepper balls, garlic, and even my own label that looked like Jethro Bodine printed it. They were a smash hit and original.
   I hate to sound like Jack Benny but I got out of this for 25 bucks or so making about 10 jars for 10 people, and they wanted more!....Mark Korda