Question about remote control range

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Question about remote control range
« on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:41 am »
OK, this is kinda dumb.

A year ago I bought a used high-end (for me) preamp on Agon.  It sounded amazing but the remote was erratic, having trouble with volume down.  The seller stood by his word and I returned it.

Now I get a newer preamp of the same brand from another Agon seller.  I specifically asked the seller (has excellent feedback) if there were any problems and he assured me it was fine.

Install the preamp and the remote works fine until I get about three feet from the listening chair, then it gets erratic. 

Does the distance from the unit matter that much?  Listening position is about 18-20' from the preamp.

Batteries? Relatively fresh, and I don't think that should matters.  Or should it?

Will a new universal remote have greater range, or is a function of the receiver?

Are there range extenders out there?  Do they work?  All my other remotes are fine.

'brick

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Question about remote control range
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2010, 01:37 pm »
Random thoughts, comments and questions:

- I presume it's IR as opposed to RF?

- Battery power would matter for sure. It's transmitting a signal, if the battery isn't up to the task, the signal distance would be shortened.

- You mentioned both units had issues with their respective remotes, but didn't mention if the issues are identical for both units.

- Distance shouldn't matter (in a typical household situation and assuming battery is strong).

- Nothing is in the way of the 'eye' I assume, ie: a leg of the equipment rack, cables, etc...

- Can you see the eye? Is the front edge of the amp to the front edge of the rack, or is it pushed way back in a "tunnel" between other components?

- May also be a good idea to mention the make and model. If it's inherent with this brand, a fellow user might speak up. Not knowing what it is, and they may not. 

- While making loud growling noises, try violently biting your neck repeatedly. Works for me.

- Have your wife fetch your beverage and adjust the volume instead of a battery powered remote. It's better for the environment than using disposable batteries. Works for me.

Might also be a good question to place in the Lab.

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:12 pm »
Random thoughts, comments and questions:

- I presume it's IR as opposed to RF?

- Battery power would matter for sure. It's transmitting a signal, if the battery isn't up to the task, the signal distance would be shortened.

- You mentioned both units had issues with their respective remotes, but didn't mention if the issues are identical for both units.

- Distance shouldn't matter (in a typical household situation and assuming battery is strong).

- Nothing is in the way of the 'eye' I assume, ie: a leg of the equipment rack, cables, etc...

- Can you see the eye? Is the front edge of the amp to the front edge of the rack, or is it pushed way back in a "tunnel" between other components?

- May also be a good idea to mention the make and model. If it's inherent with this brand, a fellow user might speak up. Not knowing what it is, and they may not. 

- While making loud growling noises, try violently biting your neck repeatedly. Works for me.

- Have your wife fetch your beverage and adjust the volume instead of a battery powered remote. It's better for the environment than using disposable batteries. Works for me.

Might also be a good question to place in the Lab.

Bob

Thanks, Bob for the prompt!  Here are the answers:

IR remote
First preamp was Musical Fidelity A3CR, current one is the A3.2CR.  The earlier one had an older style remote that was worse on the "down" volume, not bad on "up"
Distance is closer to 22' ft.
Angle of unit to remote is 30 degrees or less.
B&K preamp and all players, accessories in the same rack do fine on remotes
No obstructions
Having the wife change volume is a price I am not willing to pay.  I'd sooner put the preamp next my chair and run a crap-load of 25' ICs.
The neck thing is kinda fun.  It freaks out my students.

Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:19 pm »
I'd feel out of place, being another Bob, if I did not respond!  This is the "all Bob" thread.

How many items are you controlling?  You could look into RF remotes, which send RF signals to a box than then sends signals thru wires to IR "blasters" at the end of the wires.  The IR blaster goes onto the device were the IR receiver is.  I use this technique for all my equipment.  This way, you can point the remote wherever you want to point it.

However, these types of systems are easily $200+. 

22 feet is stretching it for some of these IR remotes, particularly if the IR sensor is sensitive to angular reception.  Try moving the remote up or down and see if you get better reception.  If you do, consider mirrored elements, even tin foil, near/around the IR sensor to direct signals into the sensor. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:22 pm »
That's cool, Bob, and by the way, I have had several Saabs.

I have tried every kind of Body English imaginable to no avail.  Holding it up high, backhand, you name it!
All the other units in the rack are very forgiving of sloppy aiming

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2010, 03:18 pm »
You might try something like these, which are less than 50 or 100:

http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/IR-to-RF-to-IR-Remote-Control-Range-Extender-Kit-433-MHz/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/59501/Smarthome-Hidden-IR-Repeater-System/p.aspx

The first one is $50 and might solve your problem.  (However, I don't have any personal experience with these.)

I like my Saab, but I am going to sell it.  I bought a 2 door, and it's a tough car for a 2-child family.