Timepiece Review on AA

Horsehead

Timepiece Review on AA
« on: 17 Feb 2004, 10:39 pm »
Here is a very positive review of the Timepiece on AudioAsylum-
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/153587.html

From what Bob has been telling about my pair of Continuums with the new woofers, I am in store for something VERY SPECIAL. Even Bob seems to be have trouble holding back his enthusiasm in his messages. :dance:

infiniti driver

Timepiece Review on AA
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2004, 03:29 am »
reefus is driving tomorrow (400 mile round trip) for an auditon as well. I think he may provide some feedback on the presentation. I don't know if you folks realize this but I am working with a research team where the timepieces are an intergral part of the experiment. Mostly what we are doing is taboo to speak of and I was hoping that reefus could gfet an inside glimpse of the facility but he will be doing the auditon at my home instead. I will be powering them with a great reference amplifier and asked him to bring along a preamp and some interconnections and his favorite music. The preamp I use cannot be moved from the research facility although, I do have a Bottlehead foreplay he can check out as well as the computer workstation with its apogee front end (which by the way is cleaner than many boutique preamps in the 4K range).

The room will also be a challenge because that room is new to me (no audio equipment in it at all..as I listen at the research facility) and it is open to a dining/kitchen area. Their is also an acoustic piano in the same room :(  :evil:  :D  :o  :)  :?:

I hope we top the audition off with a trip to a fabulous seafood resturant!

For those who live on the gulf coast, let me know if you want to get in on a listening session.

It sounds like Tasos is having some serious fun with his new speakers!

Tasos

Review of Timepiece 2.0
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2004, 09:25 pm »
About 1 month ago, I posted a review of the SP Technology Timepiece 2.0 speakers on Audio Asylum.  Although Horsehead kindly linked my review on this forum, I though I would reprint my review in full and add an adiitional comment now that I've owned these speakers for a longer period of time.  Here is the original AA review :

I have owned the Timepiece 2.0 speakers for several weeks and am blown away by the sound quality and value these offer.
Having owned a handful of excellent high-end speakers, including Thiel 2.3, Vandersteen 2ce, Aerial 7B and Reference 3A models, and having visited a multitude of rooms at both the Stereophile and CES shows over the past few years, I write from a vantage point of at least some high-end listening experience.

Quite a few high-end speakers cannot reproduce deep bass; the ones that do often sound compressed at realistic listening levels. My favorite aspect of the Timepiece speakers is their powerful reproduction of bass notes -talk about realism! These can blow dry your hair with the proper music. Yet the bass notes are very well-defined, not just a blob of muddled low frequency noise.

In addition, the Timepiece speakers offer a smooth treble rendition, making music sound more natural. There is very little perceived grain or hash. The very high frequency range may be slightly rolled-off, but this is an advantage to my ears.

The most important spectrum of music - the midrange - is reproduced naturally without being too forward or, worse yet, recessed sounding. On Eleanor McEvoy's SACD, "Yola", McEvoy's voice sounds detached from the speakers, centrally located with great presence. There is good soundstage depth, but this varies on the recording, as it probably should on an accurate speaker. Imaging is outstanding, and a broad stage is presented with the location of instruments easily discernible in space.

I like that the Timepiece 2.0 speakers are not another 'me-too' product. There are plenty of 2-way speakers on the market utilizing good drivers and various crossover topologies, but differing from each other largely in minor ways. The Timepiece speakers utilize an innovative waveguide tweeter (which crossover is set at 950 Hz), a very rigid cabinet (by means of some innovative thinking beyond just thicker panel walls) utilizing a type of transmission line port, and several other innovative features, most of which I (not being an engineer) largely do not understand.

As a benefit, the Timepiece speakers are very well finished, with a black piano finished faceplate and real wood veneers on the sides. They are designed and manufactured in the good ol' USA.

If you are in the market for speakers and have $3k or even substantially more to spend, I recommend discovering the SP Technology speakers. As these speakers are rather inefficient, bring an amp with at least 200 watts/channel to the table, and you will enjoy awesome sound.

I have a feeling this company will do very well with the Timepiece model and gain well deserved attention for the superb sound quality and value they bring to the market.
_______________________________________ ______________________

Now a brief additional comment which explains my thoughts on the Timepiece 2.0 speakers better than anything else - they make me want to
 :guitar: and   :drums: and  :dance: !!!