Any Shinola TT Fans?

DCC3341

Any Shinola TT Fans?
« on: 30 Sep 2022, 10:19 pm »
Have been running an Ortofon "Blueish Purple" cartridge (forget the model #)  on my Shinola (Detroit Built Baby!). Anyone have a recommendation on a better option Under $500? Much appreciated!

mick wolfe

Re: Any Shinola TT Fans?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2022, 04:02 pm »
The Nagaoka MP-200 comes in just under the $500 mark. Can be found on Amazon FWIW. If budget is tight, maybe look at the MP-110 or MP-150 as well.
Here's where you'll have to do your homework to decide if these lower priced models compete though. Initially I was going to mention the MP-300, but its price has soared to nearly $700.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Any Shinola TT Fans?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2022, 04:23 pm »
The Nagaoka MP-200 comes in just under the $500 mark. Can be found on Amazon FWIW. If budget is tight, maybe look at the MP-110 or MP-150 as well.
Here's where you'll have to do your homework to decide if these lower priced models compete though. Initially I was going to mention the MP-300, but its price has soared to nearly $700.

I own the MP-200 and MP-150.  Both are very good.  They have similar sounds-warm, punchy bass, forgiving of poor music to an extent.  They have a great midrange.  Top end is good, none fatiguing without being rolled off.

Go with the MP-200 if you decide to go with Nagaoka.  Check Ebay, you can save about $100 buying direct from Japan.  Thats what I did and I saved $150 on my MP-200.

Both took about 30 hours of  break-in to sound great.  The first few hours are a little rough.  Even Nagaoka recommends break in.

Keep in mind, that these are medium compliance cartridges.

If you want a Moving Coil cartridge, take a look at the Hana EL series for under $500.  Read the review on this cartridge.