4 (3.1%)
I would like to make my own speakers
2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Types of speakers we own or want

won ton on

Re: Types of speakers we own or want
« Reply #60 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:00 pm »
a dedicated room is the way to go. maybe you need speakers that will accept the wife.......ha ha

airhead

« Reply #61 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:33 pm »
Not having a dedicated room was one reason I opted for Stax's instead of Quads.  Long narrow room--->tall narrow speakers.  They don't look too bad in my opinion.  Roger claims his are also high in WAF. 

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #62 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:25 pm »
Not having a dedicated room was one reason I opted for Stax's instead of Quads.  Long narrow room--->tall narrow speakers.  They don't look too bad in my opinion.  Roger claims his are also high in WAF. 

Thanks for the picture. They appear to be in the center of the room. How do the speaker wires run to the amp? What does the other side look like? I see that an amplifier in the middle wouldn't be possible unless you hung it from the ceiling. Really, one could. Then the speaker wires could come down and you could route the other wires in the attic or along the ceiling/wall transition on a narrow wooden shelf/tray. Would make cleaning the floor easier.

For sometime I have considered making an amp you could hang on the wall with the tubes pointing out.

ken

« Reply #63 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:56 pm »

Those would never fly in my house.  :nono: I brought home a pair of white SMGA's a few years ago that someone local loaned to me and the first thing out of my wifes mouth was "What are those panels doing in my family room" :(

airhead

« Reply #64 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:30 pm »
Thanks for the picture. They appear to be in the center of the room. How do the speaker wires run to the amp? What does the other side look like? I see that an amplifier in the middle wouldn't be possible unless you hung it from the ceiling. Really, one could. Then the speaker wires could come down and you could route the other wires in the attic or along the ceiling/wall transition on a narrow wooden shelf/tray. Would make cleaning the floor easier.

For sometime I have considered making an amp you could hang on the wall with the tubes pointing out.

The speaker wires run under the house.  They cost a small fortune; don't remember the brand. The speaker wires for the subwoofers also run under the floor.  This was a lot of work, done when I was younger.  This picture was taken before I bought the woofers.

By the way the minimum impedance of the speakers is 4.5 ohms, reached at both frequency extremes.  I guess this is still okay for the Futtermans; the high frequencies sound gorgeous, and the low frequencies are handled (now) by Roger.  I'm pretty sure it was the amp clipping at low frequencies that caused my problems with the bass in the past.

BruceSB

« Reply #65 on: 7 Jul 2012, 04:17 am »
As regards electrostats especially and planars in general, they have tended to be large (or very large) and to have a very poor WAF.
My wife, for example, describes my acoustat spectra 22s as "black coffins"!
However I do think times are changing.
I am sure that manufactures are addressing these matters more, there is even an electrostat with a glass panel!!! (check out my post at the planar circle).
I think it is really great that we can, more and more, have a beautiful wife pleasing (planar/electrostat) object that sounds fantastic.
By the way, I would love to see more of and hear more about Roger's electrostat.
Bruce

geowak

« Reply #66 on: 7 Jul 2012, 07:30 pm »
If I won the Lottery for BIG MONEY, I would buy the Vandersteen 5A's and the best Maggies out there. :D :D :D

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #67 on: 11 Jul 2012, 04:52 am »
As regards electrostats especially and planars in general, they have tended to be large (or very large) and to have a very poor WAF.
My wife, for example, describes my acoustat spectra 22s as "black coffins"!
However I do think times are changing.
I am sure that manufactures are addressing these matters more, there is even an electrostat with a glass panel!!! (check out my post at the planar circle).
I think it is really great that we can, more and more, have a beautiful wife pleasing (planar/electrostat) object that sounds fantastic.
By the way, I would love to see more of and hear more about Roger's electrostat.
Bruce

Are you suggesting we read the review on 6 moons of the Silberstatic? I did read painfully what appears to be a computer translation of the German. This speaker appears to be a re-do of the Acoustat Spectra series. For better or worse, I cannot tell. It certainly makes no effort to provide any bass at its roughly $10.000 price. Where is the link to the glass speaker?

BruceSB

« Reply #68 on: 11 Jul 2012, 05:40 am »
The post about the electrostat was a bit further in on the planar circle.
Actually the one with the glass panel is a hybrid!
But it sure does look great.
Here is the link.
http://liquidbase.com.au/index.php
Regards
Bruce

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #69 on: 15 Jul 2012, 12:20 am »
The post about the electrostat was a bit further in on the planar circle.
Actually the one with the glass panel is a hybrid!
But it sure does look great.
Here is the link.
http://liquidbase.com.au/index.php
Regards
Bruce

Thanks for the link. I doubt this speaker sounds very good for a number of reasons. It appears to have a single way panel with a woofer for the bass with an unspecified crossover point likely to be high, bass that only goes down to 80 Hz. For $3000, are you kidding? What do they think about this on the planar circle?

Likely problems: Beaming, floor bounce because the panel is so short and high up, Glass resonance, made with parts from Taiwan and China (who wants to brag about that).

Here are the limited specs:

Output:
80Hz - 20KHz

Input:
12VDC80mA

Input power:
100 watt max.

Weight:
13kg

Height:
1250mm

Footprint:
350 x 290mm

Composition:
8mm tinted toughened glass plinth with sonic speaker plate. Aluminium, metal and plastic fittings with pyramid subwoofer box

BruceSB

« Reply #70 on: 15 Jul 2012, 05:12 am »
I only came across this speaker as an offshoot of some correspondence with Rob from ER Audio.
It seems that Rob supplies the electrostat unit.
Here are some details on the electostat unit (which I think may be available separately from ER Audio).
Panel size is approximately 150 x 445 x 8 mm.
Frequency response is from 150 to 20K.
These panels go very loud according to Rob.

General feeling from the original posts were they "look good but we are not impressed with the sub/mid woofer".
No one has heard them and no one knows any one who has heard them.

Hope this additional information fills in a few gaps.
Regards.
Bruce

intermediatic

« Reply #71 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:54 pm »
An old topic, but thought I'd contribute… I own a pair of Vandersteen Quatros that I run off my RM-9.

audiogoober

« Reply #72 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:03 pm »
I'm a recent owner of a new pair of Daedalus Ulysses AP speakers. This is my second pair of Ulysses AP's but the new ones are MUCH better. Lou has recently implemented a new wiring configuration along with some changes to the crossovers. These changes are VERY noticeable... and not by a small margin. Lou will be starting a new thread discussing these changes soon.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #73 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:34 pm »
I never imagined I could afford high-end speakers but, with some help from Roger Sanders and the great guys on the DIY Audio Planar Forum, I designed and built these hybrid eletrostats back in 2008.  I'm really pleased with this setup.  The build photos/parts list/instructions are on my blog page below:

http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/

Freo-1

« Reply #74 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:37 pm »
Those are great looking (and sounding, I bet!) speakers.  Well done,  :thumb:

hdspeakerman

« Reply #75 on: 20 Apr 2013, 03:01 pm »
For the most part, if I want it I build it.  Howard

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #76 on: 25 Apr 2013, 06:14 pm »
My speakers are the X-Statik from the now out of business AV123.  Designed by Danny Richie of GR Research.  They are a 3-way using open baffle mids and sealed cabinet woofers.  About 90-91 in sensitivity.  They are the best speakers I've heard for under $1000.  Danny still sells kits of the drivers and crossovers and cabinet plans for $379/pr.

The sub behind it is also from Danny minus the cabinet which I built myself.  It's a 12" sealed sub with matching 370 watt servo amp.  A beast of a sub which cost me around $600 complete.  Panels are by ATS Acoustics.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #77 on: 25 Apr 2013, 07:52 pm »
The X-Statik is the best value speaker I have ever heard, with AJinFlorida's SAM 1 monitors being a close, but more expensive, second.  If I ever sell my LS9's to get something with a smaller footprint, the X-Statiks are what I would go with.

nickd

« Reply #78 on: 25 Apr 2013, 09:20 pm »
I would second the X Static "Best value Ever" award :thumb:

I bought a slightly used pair for my son for $600 bucks a while back. I almost cried when I heard how they sounded compared to some of the behemoths I have owned over the years. They are sweet indeed. And performance can be improved from what I understand with some cap tweeking.

Some one should buy that design from Danny and mass produce those by the thousand in the U.S.A.

neekomax

« Reply #79 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:23 pm »
I would second the X Static "Best value Ever" award :thumb:

I bought a slightly used pair for my son for $600 bucks a while back. I almost cried when I heard how they sounded compared to some of the behemoths I have owned over the years. They are sweet indeed. And performance can be improved from what I understand with some cap tweeking.

Some one should buy that design from Danny and mass produce those by the thousand in the U.S.A.

Especially with some aesthetic updates to the design (IMHO), they would seem very marketable.