Isolating an RM-9 from vibration

intermediatic

Isolating an RM-9 from vibration
« on: 18 Nov 2013, 07:11 pm »
My RM-9 sits happily on a wood stereo cabinet from the 1960s. Yesterday I put it on top of some old Vibrapods that I had lying around to see if there was a difference. There was, definitely a cleaner beefier sound. I'd always thought (after trying t he Vibrapods long ago) that they were really snake oil, but apparently not.

The Vibrapods are too small to take the weight of the RM-9 so they are going to have to be swapped out, even if it's just for new Vibrapods. I really don't want a full plate underneath though, just something small and unobtrusive under the amp.

Does anyone have any anti-vibration solutions? I'd be especially interested in Roger's thoughts of course.

JackD

Chazro

Re: Isolating an RM-9 from vibration
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2013, 08:59 pm »

I'm sure if there's one thing we all can agree with is that vibrations are a huge negative.  I've got my RM9 on brass tiptoes sitting on a Billy Bags rack.  Even if one were to argue that isolating your amp is ineffectual (can't see how but....) it certainly can't hurt anything!

intermediatic

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2013, 03:18 am »
those brass tiptoes look great. i really don't want a platform though. would it still be an improvement to get them? if so, where can i find them?

tubegroove

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2013, 12:11 pm »
I have tried several options on my RM10 and my previous solid state Class A amp - black diamond racing cones, ordinary brass cones (forget which brand), Stillpoints, Marigo Mystery Feet and Herbies Audio Lab tenderfeet.  To my ear under the RM10, the Marigo Feet sounded the best but the cost benefit ratio may not be justifiable esp given the price of the RM10.  The Tenderfeet have be consistent performers making a meaningful improvement on the RM10 and other components and also do well on a price to benefit ratio
My two cents, YMMV

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2013, 01:14 pm »
Small & unobtrusive sounds like a prescription for these, possibly:  www.musicdirect.com/p-81966-stillpoints-ultra-mini-risers.aspx  The price is high but sound like what you might be looking for. Many, many reviews on these and there is a money back guarantee should they not float your boat.

At a lower price point, these are very effective in my experience. I have several sets. www.boston-audio.com/tuneblocks.htm Again, many reviews are on the web.

Clio09

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2013, 03:26 pm »
If you sensed a difference with the Vibrapods then stick with something compliant like the neoprene pads or the Herbies feet. They are not too costly and at least in the case of Herbies can be returned if you do not like them.

Me, my RM-10 just sits on the floor, as do my Atma-Sphere monoblocks.

/mp

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2013, 04:19 pm »
Bill Firebaugh of Well Tempered Lab likes squash balls. Slice them in half for stability. Posters in the well tempered circle claim they eventually compress. E.g. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116955.0 Asymptotically approaches free as long as one doesn't slice off a finger. Let us know what you try and if it works.

/mp

rbwalt

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2013, 04:41 pm »
i had my RM9SE sitting on walker valid points and pucks. i used 3 instead of 4. more stable that way. the valid points and pucks worked pretty well. if you go to systems> rbwalt you will see how my amp sits. i am now using Critical Mass Rize's . they are much better in the sense that  things are more liquid, smoother and more neutral/ natural sounding. more solid in the bottom end also. they are not cheap but well worth it. another tip is you get rid of the standard power cord. also try JJ E34L's tubes. much better than the EL34's  for that amp. better mids, deeper more solid bottom end and the top end is smoother. a tube that is more open and natural from top to bottom.

hope some of this helps.

Chazro

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2013, 08:59 pm »
those brass tiptoes look great. i really don't want a platform though. would it still be an improvement to get them? if so, where can i find them?

I keep receipts on everything I buy so I looked in my file and was surprised to see I bought them in 2004 (man, time flies!) from Revelation Audio Lab.  Out of curiosity I looked to see if the company/product still existed.  Imagine my surprise to find that this company has been banned at Audiogon!  Further digging shows that apparently this company changed their focus to cables and has been heavily accused of fraud!  Whoa!  Looks like they should've stuck with the cones!;)  Anyhow, you've been given a number of good alternates, good luck!

rbwalt

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2013, 11:41 pm »
if you can i would try a separate stand for the amp but stay away from brass footers because they tend to ring.

good luck.

intermediatic

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2013, 11:55 pm »
ack, how sad. they are truly gorgeous and fit the RM-9 perfectly.

a separate stand isn't happening.

so i guess i'll stick to the vibrapods although they also impart a slight element of harshness. i may yet get rid of them.

rockadanny

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:23 pm »
I would consider one of these stands: Sistrum Apprentice Platforms™ Vibration Management by Star Sound Technologies.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tweaks-sistrum-apprentice-platforms-vibration-management-by-star-sound-technologies-llc-2013-11-16-accessories-1810

I use their products and think they are terrific.
Familiarize yourself with their approach here: http://www.audiopoints.com/liveVibe.php

kenreau

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:32 pm »
I highly recommend the Herbies Tenderfeet.  Great performance at a reasonable price.  Check out their AC forum here.

Kenreau

Chazro

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:40 pm »
if you can i would try a separate stand for the amp but stay away from brass footers because they tend to ring.

good luck.
[/quote

???? Ring?  Perhaps yours were hollow but mine are solid weighing almost 1/4 lb. apiece, they're not bells.  I can't imagine the volume necessary to coax any sound from them!   

rbwalt

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2013, 12:07 am »
no mine were not hollow and weigh more than 1/4 of a pound. like i said before try the critical mass riez feet. just because it is brass does not mean it is the best. also a thick shelf is a must ( 1 1/2 or more). stay away from MDF if possible. different materials will affect the sound. just have to find one that works best for you.

rbwalt

intermediatic

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2013, 03:18 pm »
I found some solid brass isolation cones on Parts Express that look identical. Probably the same Chinese factory.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-iso-4g-gold-isolation-cone-set-4-pcs--240-720

I'll play around with these. They're a totally different approach than the Vibrapods. We'll see where it goes.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2013, 03:47 pm »
  The concept is to isolate from vibrations from below and drain vibration from said component. A wood box filled with sand resting on Isoblocks [ Mapleshade ] works wonders. You can make the box yourself out of ply or hardwood.
   Set a wood plinth on the sand place component on top and be happy. If ya want to get serious and spend money Kansco is the company.

rbwalt

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2013, 03:12 pm »
by the way the walker valid points and pucks are lead filled.much better isolation and won't ring like standard brass footers that seem to be all the rage because they are cheap. get what you pay for guys.