GK-1 Stepped Attenuator

LM

• Lyn
Re: GK-1 Stepped Attenuator
« Reply #80 on: 4 Sep 2008, 10:11 pm »
Hi Ron,

I never doubted the AndyR and DSK faith that the Crump mod would be a further improvement over the stand alone TKD but it’s very interesting to have it reconfirmed.  I must say the unmodified item is a corker so this must be some pretty nice icing on the cake.

My question though is has it changed the stepped output in any noticeable way?  I have found the taper of the 40 or so steps of the standard item near perfect in my system.  I can always find the ideal volume and it’s generally at about the 10/11 o’clock position on the control for normal listening volume.

It would also be interesting to know just how much the overall attenuator rating changes from the original 10K due to the mod, perhaps by measurement or calculation.  This may not matter but as I said, more for interest than anything else. :)

DSK

« Reply #81 on: 5 Sep 2008, 03:55 am »
It would also be interesting to know just how much the overall attenuator rating changes from the original 10K due to the mod, perhaps by measurement or calculation.  This may not matter but as I said, more for interest than anything else. :)  ...

Hugh advised it was OK to replace the stock 25K pot with a 10K TKD. Surely that change must be far more significant than any impact the bypass resistors would have so I think you're right that it probably doesn't matter much.

However, like you I am interested. Hugh ... is there a way to calc the change produced by adding the bypass resistors?

RonR

« Reply #82 on: 5 Sep 2008, 07:12 am »
Hi guys,

I didn't detect much change in the way the attenuator functions, just 1 or maybe 2 clicks more were required to give the same sound levels as before.

I measured the bypassed attenuator at zero volume and full volume positions before installation. At zero volume the input to earth/output measurement was 9.22k, and at full volume the input/output to earth measurement was again 9.22k. I'm afraid I didn't measure the effect at other positions.

Cheers,

Ron

andyr

« Reply #83 on: 5 Sep 2008, 09:44 am »

My question though is has it changed the stepped output in any noticeable way?  I have found the taper of the 40 or so steps of the standard item near perfect in my system.  I can always find the ideal volume and it’s generally at about the 10/11 o’clock position on the control for normal listening volume.

My question is, Lyn ... what does it matter?  If you used to listen at 10/11 o'clock then if (as RonR says) it takes a couple of clicks more to get the same volume ... you're listening at 10:30/11:30 o'clock.  And so?   :?

For tuner & CD, I listen at 12 / 1 o'clock for "normal" sound levels.  If I want to crank it up, it's 2 o'clock - or a click or two more.

For phono, because I feed my LOMC directly into my upgraded-gain MM stage, I listen at 3 o'clock or 3:30.  Sometimes if the LP is cut low and I want to listen loud ... I listen at 5 o'clock - which is as far as the TKD will go - ie. it's out of circuit.

Regards,

Andy

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #84 on: 6 Sep 2008, 12:51 am »
just 1 or maybe 2 clicks more were required to give the same sound levels as before

Hi Ron,

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know, appreciated.

My question is, Lyn ... what does it matter?

Hi Andy,

I must admit I’m rather intrigued by your question.  :scratch:  Following Ron’s answer and your confirmation, clearly it does change things in a noticeable way but I agree, not enough to matter.  The first part is the answer to my question and second is the answer to yours.  And so?…. I’m happy. :thumb: aa

kyrill

« Reply #85 on: 7 Oct 2008, 10:13 am »
if you want one of the best stepped volume controls :drool:
http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/page31/page31.html
Guido Tent and associated are well respected EE's only interested to be one of the best in his high end audio applications

AKSAphile

« Reply #86 on: 7 Oct 2008, 06:03 pm »
if you want one of the best stepped volume controls :drool:
http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/page31/page31.html
Guido Tent and associated are well respected EE's only interested to be one of the best in his high end audio applications

This is really one of the sexiest volume controls available ...:drool:

...but good things don`t come cheap  :(

Tentlabs said that there should be soon available volume control with added buffer  :drool:

whubbard

« Reply #87 on: 25 Nov 2008, 11:03 pm »
I was just taking a look back at this thread, and while I do think the Tent Labs volume control is very nice, wouldn't it be a bit of a pain to use with a Gk-1? I mean I feel like it would either be one more RCA interconnect (which in my mind is bad) or it seems like it would be a bit complicated to incorperate into the system...

I am personally very satisfied with my selector and attenuator, but it is true that this looks VERY nice. I would love the ability to use a remote with my GK-1 and still have a good stepped attenuator and selector. I'm still not sure if this compares to the bypassed TKD, might be very close!

-West

DSK

« Reply #88 on: 26 Nov 2008, 01:36 am »
Go on Westy ... somebody has to be the first .... :lol:

AKSA

« Reply #89 on: 26 Nov 2008, 06:50 am »
West,

I'm confident that Guido's RSA could be hard wired into the GK1 without difficulty.

Don't know the cost, probably 100 Euros or so, and this is quite pricey, on a par with the cheaper stepped attenuator from DACT.

But I'd be confident it would sound good.  The relay SA is a very elegant solution, but it's software driven, which introduces a level of complexity not all - especially yours truly - would welcome.

Hugh

whubbard

« Reply #90 on: 26 Nov 2008, 02:31 pm »
Well maybe that will be in the future but considering the cost of the TKD and Dact, and that I personally like Hugh's M board with the Phono and Sub-Out. So I'm fine for now. One day maybe...

-West