Ordered a PS Audio P20 Monday; might see it by the end of next week

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
Here are the outlets and p-cords.. This is sort of a compromise between using NO Noise Harvesters and using many to reduce the perceived problem of cross-contamination.

From the left:
Bottom (with the gold-colored 'X'), 20-Amp inlet cable, a current-gen. Neotec 10g. with then-best, quite-expensive Furutech ends; top pair, long p-cords to main (Atma-Sphere) poweramps.. These are the new 'JBG Signature' 6X11 cords with AQ NRG1000 ends, now discontinued.*
Center column of outlets, the inexpensive 12g. extention cord supplying the two bassamps (plateamps) for the Super-7s;
Second-right column, shiny-black DH Labs Power+ 12g. cable feeding the Emotiva center-and-surrounds poweramp; and
RH column, current-gen Neotec 11g. cables feeding the 'most-digital' of my components, the Marantz '8805 pre/pro and the Oppo '203 discplayer, and two NHs.. With no NHs plugged in and both the preamp and DP turned on and 'idling', the noise measured at either unused outlet--in fact, at any unused outlet of the P20--is about 175mV.. Plugging in one NH reduced that noise about 10mV or c. 6%.. Since I'm an if-one-is-good-two-are-better kind of guy, I plugged another NH into the unused outlet. 

I also plugged two NHs into the two unused outlets of the above-mentioned extention cord, adjacent to the p-cords of the bassamps.

* The 1000-series cable ends (last RR was $200) have been replaced with the Mistral cable ends, RR $120.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2019, 08:20 pm by jeffreybehr »

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
Removed the original steel-shrouded hardish-plastic feet...

...and replaced with five ISOAcoustics ISO-Pucks, their lesser-expensive equipment footers*.. Looks LOTS better.. I really like the black on black; the much shinier OREAs would look a bit garish, I think.

* They seem to have the same feel, compressibility, etc., as the OREAs, they're simply less-expensively finished.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2019, 08:21 pm by jeffreybehr »

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
Received a new input powercord constructed of the same 6x11g. cable I used for the long runs from the p-con to the Atma-Sphere poweramps.. It's again connected as 3x8g. and uses AQ 1000-series wall end and a new Mistral-series 20-Amp IEC end.. The AQ IEC connects more tightly to the inlet than the far-more-expensive Furutech FI-52 (R) did.. Looks and sounds just fine.   :)

Have rearranged a few damping blocks, etc.; I hope I'm finished with this..   :)  :|  :)

SET Man

Hey!

Man! That thing is a monster! :o

I have been using the P600 since it first came out, I think I got it around late 2001 early 2002. I'm running either 18wpc SET or 40wpc SET amp. It feeds my entire system, except tuner, two cassette decks which I unplug when not in use and my DAC runs off batteries.

I like the sound of my system with the P600. When I plug everything directly to the wall, the sound just collapses. And I feel that this make my tubes last longer too. Well, I'm in NYC and I'm pretty sure the AC  is as dirty and smelly as the NYC's subway  :icon_lol:

I am curious of how the newer one are for sure, but they are pretty pricey now aren't they? But if my P600 goes I'll definitely get their newer model.

Buddy

Early B.

Jeff -- did you notice any sound quality differences between the BPT and the P20?

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
Jeff -- did you notice any sound quality differences between the BPT and the P20?

To quote myself in the PS Audio forum: "There was a clear, audible improvement in sound quality when I installed the BPT balanced-power p-con years ago, and from that excellence, there is an audible improvement with the P20… My system has NEVER sounded better."
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 06:48 pm by jeffreybehr »