20 inch iMACs

navi

20 inch iMACs
« on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:57 am »
I share a studio with another photographer, he complained to apple about problems he had with the new 20" iMac- that he got as a replacement to faulty G5 iMac.

the screen has a problem where it's lighter on the bottom half than it is on the top half- Under apple care a technician came out to look at it - and said "ALL" new 20" iMacs have that problem but if he had got a 24" it won't have that problem.

I saw the 20" iMac and I can see the problem - it won't matter if you are just on the net but when you are doing critical colour work - it can be a problem

What the hell is apple doing releasing dodgy iMacs?...... stay away from the 20"

Panelman

Re: 20 inch iMACs
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2008, 01:20 am »

My son has the 20 inch iMac and there is no problem with the screen. How could Apple release a product knowing there is a problem with all the screens on a model?  I think Apple may be having some growing pains but for a tech to say all of a product is faulty is suspect.

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2008, 01:30 am »
I have two, an early spring '06 (white core duo) and a refreshed fall '07 (aluminum core 2 duo). The '06 model had that problem which was painlessly replaced. The '07 model was fine, although I have heard of other folks with '07's that had the problem.

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2008, 03:06 am »
Call me old school, but I don't think there's any LCD screen that can deliver for critical color work. Hopefully I'll be out of the photo biz before my Sony Artisan dies. I read somewhere that companies like ILM are pulling their hair out over the death of hardware calibrated CRTs. (meaning the calibrator adjust the ouput of the electron guns.....not just monkeying w/ the LUT like a Spyder)

Sucks about Apple's QC though. Even though I'm a diehard Mac user, they've had some serious blunders over the years. (Ti Powerbooks for one)

zacster

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2008, 04:02 am »
I would complain louder, that just isn't acceptable.  Take it higher up than that technician.  I wouldn't care if they 'all' were like that.  I'd tell them to take it back.  These are premium priced machines.  I'm typing on a 20" iMac right now and it doesn't have any such problem.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2008, 04:07 am »
Call me old school, but I don't think there's any LCD screen that can deliver for critical color work. Hopefully I'll be out of the photo biz before my Sony Artisan dies. I read somewhere that companies like ILM are pulling their hair out over the death of hardware calibrated CRTs. (meaning the calibrator adjust the ouput of the electron guns.....not just monkeying w/ the LUT like a Spyder)

Sucks about Apple's QC though. Even though I'm a diehard Mac user, they've had some serious blunders over the years. (Ti Powerbooks for one)

I agree, the CRTs are fabulous for this type of work. I still keep a Sony CRT around as well as my 30" cinema display. In fact, I absolutely love the picture from Sony CRT HDTVs. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2008, 05:35 am »
I was a CRT diehard too, but the Cinema Display won me over.  The first LCD I saw which didn't suck.  You can't put any junk on top of it, though. :P

navi