NFL 2023/24

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: NFL 2023/24
« Reply #80 on: 8 Oct 2023, 11:18 pm »
Once again, the Beagles looked really good.
I switched from the Cheifs game once I heard Romo say, "BOOM!"
John Madden he ain't.

vrao81

« Reply #81 on: 9 Oct 2023, 03:03 am »
Cowgirls getting spanked! Glorious day!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #82 on: 9 Oct 2023, 01:58 pm »
Cowgirls getting spanked! Glorious day!
My son and I were talking about what I think is a related matter.  In Pittsburgh Jaylen Warren is outperforming the highly talented 1st round pick Najee Harris.  I posited that in Matt Canada's wide zone offense's primary play the running back targets the back of the tight end.  They run that until the defense overcorrects then you throw inside zone and duo at them.  Warren is an undrafted free agent and does what he's told, while Najee is always trying to break a big play on his own.

In the same offensive theory on the Niners Purdy does what he's told, he doesn't try to reinvent the play, and we see the results.  Many of the high dollar QBs think they need to win by themselves in spite of the OC and head coach.  Purdy has none of that baggage being "Mr Irrelevant" so follows the plan and delivers the ball where it's suppose to go.  Being a world renowned idiot I don't know if this hypothesis holds water, what do the experts here think?

rodge827

« Reply #83 on: 9 Oct 2023, 03:21 pm »
I agree! The Hurts interception in the LA game is a perfect example. He should have thrown the ball to the back corner of the end zone as the play called for. Instead he tried to get cute and get another PI call only this time the defender was in perfect position for the interception. Siriani gave him an earful and hopefully it sank in!!

jjss49

« Reply #84 on: 10 Oct 2023, 06:03 am »
pretty clear that unless injuries decimate one or both of them that the niners and eagles will meet again in the nfc championship game

niners may be peaking a little early with 12 more games to play, maybe the eagles will once again peak at the right time

afc side certainly more interesting and more uncertain, chiefs and who else???

what the patriots have become is shocking, even from the several years of mediocrity that has prevailed since tb12 departed...

Freo-1

« Reply #85 on: 10 Oct 2023, 12:12 pm »
Don't count out the Lions.  They have been dealing with injuries and still have an good record.  Once their secondary and offensive line get fully healthy, they can challenge in the NFC. 

Long season.  Will have to wait and see.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #86 on: 11 Oct 2023, 10:33 am »

what the patriots have become is shocking, even from the several years of mediocrity that has prevailed since tb12 departed...

Having lived through the Steelers Superbowl run in the seventies it's not surprising at all.  Chuck Noll told his wife right after that last SB win that she needed to prepare for some tough years.  The team was old and they didn't have the draft picks to rebuild.  Bradshaw's arm was too damaged to repair, similar to Brady leaving as relates to the team.  Great coaches are always attached to great QBs, Lombardi to Starr, Noll to Bradshaw, Madden to Stabler, and we we see again in New England.  The only great coach to get out before the curve was Walsh, who was the most brilliant in many ways.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #87 on: 15 Oct 2023, 10:00 pm »
It kind of looked like the Browns had some help from the officiating crew and some SF injuries.
Even so, they looked a lot better than I was expecting them to.
Think I'll give the Eagles/Jets game a pass.

vrao81

« Reply #88 on: 16 Oct 2023, 12:00 am »

Think I'll give the Eagles/Jets game a pass.

Uhh..dude you missed a big upset win

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #89 on: 16 Oct 2023, 12:18 am »
So I did, good for the Jets!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #90 on: 16 Oct 2023, 10:41 am »
This happens almost every year, some plucky team with a good defense beats the front runner.  It's unusual for it to happen to two undefeated teams on the same weekend.  Next Sunday night the Eagles face off against the Dolphins, should be fun.

twitch54

« Reply #91 on: 16 Oct 2023, 02:03 pm »
This happens almost every year, some plucky team with a good defense beats the front runner.  It's unusual for it to happen to two undefeated teams on the same weekend.  Next Sunday night the Eagles face off against the Dolphins, should be fun.

Agreed, the 'Fish' have a far more potent offense than the Jets. I suspect this loss will reset the reality button for the Birds.

Bills, what pathetic showing against the Giants, Bills secondary sucks, running game sputters with a few glimpses of promise, winning ugly !

jjss49

« Reply #92 on: 16 Oct 2023, 02:51 pm »
nfl is still the best real life soap opera in sports

professional scriptwriters couldn't have done a better job...

only if the giants coulda knocked off the bills in the late game ...  tyrod taylor at the goal line ... :roll::duh:

Freo-1

« Reply #93 on: 16 Oct 2023, 07:20 pm »
Went to the Lions/Bucs game in Tampa.  What a crazy atmosphere.  There was easily as many Lions fans as Bucs fans.  After the game, the Lions fans were partying like there was no tomorrow.  Never seen anything quite like it.

Could be an interesting year for the Lions and the long suffering fans.

rockadanny

« Reply #94 on: 19 Oct 2023, 05:21 pm »
As a Lions fan for over 60 years I am still waiting (cringing) for the other shoe to drop. Sorry, I just can't help it. And I find it extra gut-wrenching lately to hear all prognosticating of how both their brilliant OC and DC will be leaving next year for head coaching jobs. Ugh! Can we not at least string together a few successful years before dismantling the team?! They still have yet to even win a playoff game! Maybe I should start watching pickleball or cornhole on TV instead ...

Freo-1

« Reply #95 on: 19 Oct 2023, 08:30 pm »
As a Lions fan for over 60 years I am still waiting (cringing) for the other shoe to drop. Sorry, I just can't help it. And I find it extra gut-wrenching lately to hear all prognosticating of how both their brilliant OC and DC will be leaving next year for head coaching jobs. Ugh! Can we not at least string together a few successful years before dismantling the team?! They still have yet to even win a playoff game! Maybe I should start watching pickleball or cornhole on TV instead ...

Don't give up.  I attended the game in Tampa, and they played very well against a very good Tampa team.  What was amazing was the fan reaction after the game.  One would have thought they won the Super Bowl. 

Screw the football writers.  They always publish crap, that's how they make their living.  90% of what they put out is nonsense anyway.

This team just seems different.  If you could have seen the excitement on the Lions bench after the game, you would realize that they are very excited and have confidence. 

jjss49

« Reply #96 on: 21 Oct 2023, 10:13 pm »
lions are the real deal, pretty sure they will be in the nfc final four, injuries allowing -- they have talent, are very well coached and play their asses off every week

fish v eagles tomorrow....  should be a real treat...

vrao81

« Reply #97 on: 22 Oct 2023, 06:04 pm »
Lions getting spanked 28-0! Don't crown them yet.

vrao81

« Reply #98 on: 22 Oct 2023, 06:26 pm »
Tyrod Taylor totally outplaying Daniel Jones. Gotta love it when the backup qb on his 6th team outplays the $160 million guy.

Freo-1

« Reply #99 on: 22 Oct 2023, 06:34 pm »
Lions getting spanked 28-0! Don't crown them yet.

Yeah. Pretty embarrassing.