The sound charactoristics of the various Omega speaker series

BrystonNut

• Bryston, there is no substitute!
Re: The sound charactoristics of the various Omega speaker series
« Reply #20 on: 14 Aug 2017, 09:06 pm »
Why not post tech data on the frequency response curves?  This is needed to determine how they're voiced...maybe I am missing something here.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 14 Aug 2017, 09:44 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2017, 07:29 pm by FullRangeMan »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 14 Aug 2017, 11:13 pm »
Wild and crazy FR chart pulled!  :thumb:

Ouch!  :|
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2017, 10:25 pm by Wind Chaser »

BrystonNut

• Bryston, there is no substitute!
« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2017, 02:49 pm »
Ouch indeed, that is a little nasty...I would expect music to have too much sizzle. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2017, 04:32 pm »
Even more troubling is the 11 db suck out between 4 and 5 KHz.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:26 pm »
I wouldn't assume that chart is accurate. Who made the measurements, using what equipment, etc...

I can take measurements of my reference speakers, the Pioneer S-1EX that are very close to the TAD Evo Towers at over $30k, and get absolutely horrible results that have nothing to do with the speaker and everything to do with the room the speakers are in. I know how the speakers measure when done properly (nearly perfect) and it's very difficult to recreate this! Getting truly accurate FR measurement results is not trivial or easy.

I also think, because of these reasons and the fact Louis doesn't post measurements that it's not appropriate to post this information. It's misleading at best, and taken at it's word, which is surely not the truth, is extremely unfair to Omega. So FRM, I think you should delete your post and I think Wind Chaser needs to delete the quote. This is absolutely inappropriate imo.

roscoe65

« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:34 pm »
I was about to say something along the same lines as Dave.  A couple of points:

1.  The Alnico 7A driver is no longer in production.  There are some Omega owners who have owned both this driver and the new 6.5" Alnico driver and indicate that the newer driver is far superior in both sound and sensitivity.

2.  The ragged behavior in the treble is suspicious to me.  I own a pair of SAM's and while the top end can be a bit finicky it is much smoother than an equivalent Fostex.  If you look at the published response of the Fostex driver, it appears far smoother than the plot above.  However my ears tell me that every Omewga OEM driver is smoother, more sensitive, and produces better bass than the equivalent Fostex.  However, unlike JLM I have not heard the Fostex alnico versions.

I would take the plot above with a grain of salt.  I find it difficult to believe that a good sounding driver would have a 18dB delta between 4khz and 10khz.  That being said, whizzer cones can demonstrate some odd behavior in the high frequencies.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:37 pm »
I wouldn't assume that chart is accurate. Who made the measurements, using what equipment, etc...

I can take measurements of my reference speakers, the Pioneer S-1EX that are very close to the TAD Evo Towers at over $30k, and get absolutely horrible results that have nothing to do with the speaker and everything to do with the room the speakers are in. I know how the speakers measure when done properly (nearly perfect) and it's very difficult to recreate this! Getting truly accurate FR measurement results is not trivial or easy.

I also think, because of these reasons and the fact Louis doesn't post measurements that it's not appropriate to post this information. It's misleading at best, and taken at it's word, which is surely not the truth, is extremely unfair to Omega. So FRM, I think you should delete your post and I think Wind Chaser needs to delete the quote. This is absolutely inappropriate imo.
Thanks for posting this Dave, I was very tempted to chime in with a similar response.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:39 pm »
I was about to say something along the same lines as Dave.  A couple of points:

1.  The Alnico 7A driver is no longer in production.  There are some Omega owners who have owned both this driver and the new 6.5" Alnico driver and indicate that the newer driver is far superior in both sound and sensitivity.

2.  The ragged behavior in the treble is suspicious to me.  I own a pair of SAM's and while the top end can be a bit finicky it is much smoother than an equivalent Fostex.  If you look at the published response of the Fostex driver, it appears far smoother than the plot above.  However my ears tell me that every Omewga OEM driver is smoother, more sensitive, and produces better bass than the equivalent Fostex.  However, unlike JLM I have not heard the Fostex alnico versions.

I would take the plot above with a grain of salt.  I find it difficult to believe that a good sounding driver would have a 18dB delta between 4khz and 10khz.  That being said, whizzer cones can demonstrate some odd behavior in the high frequencies.

You need a purpose-made transducer to get extremely clean highs above about 15 kHz. Many can't hear up that high anyways... ;)

roscoe65

« Reply #29 on: 15 Aug 2017, 06:57 pm »
You need a purpose-made transducer to get extremely clean highs above about 15 kHz. Many can't hear up that high anyways... ;)

Just because our ears can't hear that high doesn't make it undetectable.  The "lack" of highs may be a blessing in disguise.  A number of people are using their dedicated HF drivers facing upward to add dispersion and "air".  It may not be as compact and elegant as an all-in-one speaker but arrangements with separate bass, midrange, and HF modules can sound better.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #30 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:05 pm »
 :|
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2017, 01:13 pm by GT Audio Works »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:19 pm »
Nope! That dip in the 3-4kHz area is a real bliss to the human ears, mainly woman, this range 3-4kHz is the most sensitive of the human ear and easily irritated by tweeters or any treble sound in this range.

Its not easy made this dip in a FR driver, in tweeters its impossible in the current technology stage, also its very rare find a FR driver with this feature, this dip made the Omega drivers sound like magic IMO.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:27 pm »
Just because our ears can't hear that high doesn't make it undetectable. The "lack" of highs may be a blessing in disguise.  A number of people are using their dedicated HF drivers facing upward to add dispersion and "air".  It may not be as compact and elegant as an all-in-one speaker but arrangements with separate bass, midrange, and HF modules can sound better.

I agree... just less important that the FR is flat vs the midrange.

roscoe65

« Reply #33 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:49 pm »
Nope! That dip in the 3-4kHz area is a real bliss to the human ears, mainly woman, this range 3-4kHz is the most sensitive of the human ear and easily irritated by tweeters or any treble sound in this range.

Its not easy made this dip in a FR driver, in tweeters its impossible in the current technology stage, also its very rare find a FR driver with this feature, this dip made the Omega drivers sound like magic IMO.

That resembles the famous 2-3dB "BBC Dip".

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2017, 10:25 pm »

:scratch: :duh:  :lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #35 on: 16 Aug 2017, 07:28 am »

Okay, I still can't believe you wrote the above but I owe you a better response than a few Emojis.

As to the deleted FR chart, Dave was correct in saying… we don’t “who made the measurements, using what equipment etc....” therefore the “chart” is “misleading at best” and “extremely unfair to Omega.”  Yet you consider that wonky and erratic response as “real bliss” and “magic” .................??

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #36 on: 16 Aug 2017, 02:49 pm »
I wouldn't assume the "dip" is there in real life. Further illustration of the dangers of this, even when it's explained that the measurement is likely nowhere near accurate it's still discussed. Sigh...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #37 on: 16 Aug 2017, 05:59 pm »
I wouldn't assume the "dip" is there in real life.

Didn't we all agreed that the measurement was highly questionable and thus remove it?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 16 Aug 2017, 11:42 pm »
Okay, I still can't believe you wrote the above but I owe you a better response than a few Emojis.
I have listening much famous brand speaker as JBL, Wilson, Focal, AvantGarde etc over the years in the local audiophiles homes and the best was the Carver Amazing, so I have bought the Silver edition.
This is the Stereophile measurement:

A flat chart will sound hot to the human brain, main in the critical 3-5kHz area and listen fatigue will boring the listener in short time.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 17 Aug 2017, 12:43 am »

This chart shows has an 11 - 12 db spike between 3 - 5 Khz.

The previous chart (which we have since removed) showed 11 db suck out between 4 - 5 Khz.

That is the exact opposite; a difference of at least 22 dbs within the same range.

Since you stated that "dip in the 3-4 kHz area is a real bliss to the human ears..." What effect does that upward swing have on the human ears?