Subwoofer to match M3 Turbo

vmlistening

Re: Subwoofer to match M3 Turbo
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:01 pm »
I also have the M3 Turbos and listen to music exclusively (no HT), the same sort of material you enjoy. Be sure to search for music subwoofers primarily. Yes, technology in that area has improved very substantially over time, but on a limited budget you can still get where you want to be with the sound. I use an old (but beautiful) Janis subwoofer from the era when they invented that genre of equipment. I had to repair the matching 100W amplifier, but it has provided me with countless hours of satisfying deep bass that does justice to both acoustic double bass and synthesizer. Spend what you are comfortable with and upgrade as you feel the need and have the extra money. I do really like the H-frame open baffle systems I've seen and might build a pair for myself someday to save a bunch of money vs. commercial off the shelf products.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2023, 03:25 am »
For music I'd go with REL or Rythmik.

Don't you have the GR Research open baffle subs? How do they compare with REL or Rythmik?
Btw, my one experience with the RSL speedwoofer 10S mkii has been very positive but that is for a minor home theater, not for a dedicated music system.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2023, 03:37 am »
Don't you have the GR Research open baffle subs? How do they compare with REL or Rythmik?
Btw, my one experience with the RSL speedwoofer 10S mkii has been very positive but that is for a minor home theater, not for a dedicated music system.

Rythmik actually makes the drivers for GR Research, which is what I would get - https://www.rythmikaudio.com/GR_drivers.html of from GR Research - https://gr-research.com/product/sub-series-double-trouble-with-flatpacks-copy/

However, I also know some people simply won't take a chance on an OB sub (even though it's better).  For them, the REL box subs are a good option.  Personally I'll never own a box sub ever again, I'm way too spoiled with the GR Research OB subs.

Early B.

« Reply #23 on: 7 Sep 2023, 04:20 am »
Personally I'll never own a box sub ever again, I'm way too spoiled with the GR Research OB subs.

Yeah, boxes sound like...ummmm...boxes. When you think about it, it's absurd to put any woofer in a box and expect it to sound life-like. There's a reason 95% of OB servo sub owners will never go back to boxes. And to make matters worse, most box subs use cheap plate amps; they sound substandard and buzz like crazy while the woofer is woofin'.

vmlistening

« Reply #24 on: 7 Sep 2023, 07:16 pm »
I wrote to Spatial for their recommendation.

Here is what Clayton wrote back:
The best design we have tested is the Rythmik Audio F12 Series. It incorporates a patented servo-control system that allows reaction time that sounds much better than normal subs, and it blends into our open-baffle designs very well. Two subs always sounds better, but you could start with just one unit.

Does anyone have experience with another (sealed box or OB) subwoofer that sounded better than the Rythmik F12 when paired with M3 Turbos? I completed get that OB subs would make sense with OB speakers.

Vikas

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2023, 08:04 pm »
I wrote to Spatial for their recommendation.

Here is what Clayton wrote back:
The best design we have tested is the Rythmik Audio F12 Series. It incorporates a patented servo-control system that allows reaction time that sounds much better than normal subs, and it blends into our open-baffle designs very well. Two subs always sounds better, but you could start with just one unit.

Does anyone have experience with another (sealed box or OB) subwoofer that sounded better than the Rythmik F12 when paired with M3 Turbos? I completed get that OB subs would make sense with OB speakers.

Vikas

The GR Research OB subs use the same servo technology as the F12.  In fact, Rythmik makes those drivers and amps for GR.

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 7 Sep 2023, 08:50 pm »
Does anyone have experience with another (sealed box or OB) subwoofer that sounded better than the Rythmik F12 when paired with M3 Turbos?

The F12 is the second best option to dual OB servo subs.

vmlistening

« Reply #27 on: 7 Sep 2023, 09:04 pm »
Thanks Tyson and Early B. Looks like there is consensus on Rythmik!

JackD

« Reply #28 on: 8 Sep 2023, 02:48 am »
I ran a pair of F12G's with both the M3 Turbo and M3TM.  If that will only allow you to buy one though you might want to look at the L12's instead and get a pair.