New speakers on the Spatial home page guys :)

Tangram

Re: New speakers on the Spatial home page guys :)
« Reply #20 on: 25 Sep 2022, 08:44 pm »
A year ago I would have said "Kudos for replacing the M100." That isn't the case anymore. I love the overall presentation of the M3 Sapphires and haven't given a second thought to another speaker for a while. That's unusual for me.
I found that because the speakers had greater dynamic range than what I was using before, and because the bass is so room-friendly, I was unwittingly cranking the volume about 10 db louder than I should have. In doing so, the treble got nasty harsh on peaks and I was having kittens about whether I'd made a mistake. But between break-in (speakers, ears, or both?) and going back to "normal" listening levels (85 db A-weighted peaks), I'm a happy camper.

All I do these days is buy records and listen to tunes. Not thinking about gear at all.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence is usually just an illusion.

Save yourselves some $$ and stick with the program. The M3 Sapphires with the Peerless tweeter are tremendous speakers!

El Tio

« Reply #21 on: 25 Sep 2022, 10:15 pm »
A year ago I would have said "Kudos for replacing the M100." That isn't the case anymore. I love the overall presentation of the M3 Sapphires and haven't given a second thought to another speaker for a while. That's unusual for me.
I found that because the speakers had greater dynamic range than what I was using before, and because the bass is so room-friendly, I was unwittingly cranking the volume about 10 db louder than I should have. In doing so, the treble got nasty harsh on peaks and I was having kittens about whether I'd made a mistake. But between break-in (speakers, ears, or both?) and going back to "normal" listening levels (85 db A-weighted peaks), I'm a happy camper.

All I do these days is buy records and listen to tunes. Not thinking about gear at all.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence is usually just an illusion.

Save yourselves some $$ and stick with the program. The M3 Sapphires with the Peerless tweeter are tremendous speakers!
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2022, 12:44 am by El Tio »

El Tio

« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2022, 10:39 pm »
I had the same basic experience when I got my M3's. My previous speakers had the same sensitivity rating so I would set my preamp at the same percentage but the sound was glaring. After realizing and turning it down 12 percent things were coming around. Also after several hundred hours of break in they REALLY started to sound good. The M3 could be my last speaker (I'm 68 years old). Also with the recent "upgrades" to the M3 I do not feel I am missing out, quite the contrary. Aside from the rounded baffle edges and the aluminum base I tend to think the original drivers (M100 and Eminence 15") may be superior and Claytons driver changes are more due to supply issues rather than intended upgrades. I'll never get to compare so I will never know and I am sure Clayton did not replace the drivers with 2nd rate components.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2022, 12:46 am by El Tio »

catluck

« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2022, 01:14 pm »
Tangram & El Tio - Please add a seat at the table for me. As some may recall, I was considering upgrading the M3's to the X4's thinking I might enhance the musical experience.  But upon replacing my Psvane 845 monos with the Class D MiniGans (GanFets) I have wholeheartedly abandoned any plan to upgrade. The M3's sing like never before. I hadn't heard such clarity, detail, and/or resolution from the M3's prior to the amp change-out. I find the peerless unit to be, well, if not peerless, at least so facile that I now have no desire to "upgrade."  Regarding issues related to amp output/wattage/current all I can say is that the substantially increased "power" (going from 845's to GanFets) brought the M3 woofers to life - WOKE them from their slumber in relative terms.  There may be something to the claim that Clayton's change to the M200 tweeter (Beyma) was instigated by supply chain issues rather than a deliberate design motivation.  Regardless, Daryl Zero writing in this circle called it - if it sounds good maybe just leave it alone.  Take yes for an answer. End-game speaker? Probably.