BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #320 on: 29 Sep 2012, 11:13 am »
I was wondering if someone knows how many headphones the Bryston BHA-1 can drive.
I have 12 Sennheiser HD650's I am using for a high end multiple listener experience.
Could it drive this many?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher

Hi Christopher

I have used 8 pairs at shows for demo purposes but it all depends on the combined impedance of all the phones attached.  The lower the impedance the more current is needed.
What is the impedance and efficency of the HD650's?

james

JohnR

« Reply #321 on: 29 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm »
I would happen to know that since I own a pair... 300 ohms and 102 dB/... hm, the SPL is specced at dB/V. Unusual?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #322 on: 29 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm »
HI,

300 ohms is fairly high and 102dB is good sensitivity so my quess is you would be OK but I will ask engineering when I get back after the Toronto Audio show. 

When I used the 8 pairs they were all Grados with an impedance of 30 ohms.

james

Chrisart

« Reply #323 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:28 am »
HI,

300 ohms is fairly high and 102dB is good sensitivity so my quess is you would be OK but I will ask engineering when I get back after the Toronto Audio show. 

When I used the 8 pairs they were all Grados with an impedance of 30 ohms.

james

Hi James,
JohnR is correct....300 ohms and 102 db.
I would appreciate your asking engineering to find out if this set up would be ok. I am thinking of expanding the system to possibly 24 HD650's. Any info would be great. If the BHA-1 could handle 18 HD650 headphones with no problem, I would be seriously interested in purchasing one :-)

Chris

myview

« Reply #324 on: 1 Oct 2012, 03:16 am »
Hi Chris,

Just out of curiousity (I am really trying to learn here), under what circumstances would you need to run this many pairs of identical headphones together? 

Hi James,
JohnR is correct....300 ohms and 102 db.
I would appreciate your asking engineering to find out if this set up would be ok. I am thinking of expanding the system to possibly 24 HD650's. Any info would be great. If the BHA-1 could handle 18 HD650 headphones with no problem, I would be seriously interested in purchasing one :-)

Chris

Chrisart

« Reply #325 on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:10 am »
Hi Chris,

Just out of curiousity (I am really trying to learn here), under what circumstances would you need to run this many pairs of identical headphones together?

Hello,

I am doing a kind of workshop but instead of talking, I am performing improvised music and sound. It is not a concert, I am using sound vibrations which facilitate increased awareness in the listener . It is a touring system so it has to remain somewhat portable. Speakers take too long to set up and calibrate and are difficult to move around (I am in Japan). Speakers also require that the event space have acoustic properties and is relatively soundproof. The speaker scenario is too restrictive for this project. Headphones basically eliminate these problems. Also, I am using high definition 3D audio and generally, headphones work best for that.

Hope that answers your question ;-)

Chris

myview

« Reply #326 on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:26 am »
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.  I learnt something new today  :)

myview

Hello,

I am doing a kind of workshop but instead of talking, I am performing improvised music and sound. It is not a concert, I am using sound vibrations which facilitate increased awareness in the listener . It is a touring system so it has to remain somewhat portable. Speakers take too long to set up and calibrate and are difficult to move around (I am in Japan). Speakers also require that the event space have acoustic properties and is relatively soundproof. The speaker scenario is too restrictive for this project. Headphones basically eliminate these problems. Also, I am using high definition 3D audio and generally, headphones work best for that.

Chris

Vipers

« Reply #327 on: 3 Oct 2012, 08:42 pm »
Found out today from PMC that after what seems the longest wait ever for a new product that my BHA-1 is actually in the UK and I should be getting it on Friday, I really never thought this day would come :)

I opened a Sennheiser account last week so I'll be able to put the Grado PS1000's up against the Sennheiser HD800 as well as the BHA-1 v the new Sennheiser headphone amp, the HDVD800 which I should have in a couple of weeks, exciting times indeed.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #328 on: 3 Oct 2012, 08:46 pm »
Found out today from PMC that after what seems the longest wait ever for a new product that my BHA-1 is actually in the UK and I should be getting it on Friday, I really never thought this day would come :)

I opened a Sennheiser account last week so I'll be able to put the Grado PS1000's up against the Sennheiser HD800 as well as the BHA-1 v the new Sennheiser headphone amp, the HDVD800 which I should have in a couple of weeks, exciting times indeed.

Really be interested in your comments sir!

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #329 on: 3 Oct 2012, 08:46 pm »

Hello,

Chris

Hi,

Engineering tells me maximum 10 pairs at a time based on 300 ohms.

james
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2012, 12:30 am by James Tanner »

Joker

« Reply #330 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:05 pm »

That all sounds real exciting! I'd be mega interested in your comments & findings in those two headphone & headamp comparisons! Keep up the good work, pls  :icon_lol:

bjski

« Reply #331 on: 4 Oct 2012, 10:52 pm »
Picked up my BHA today. Listening to a pair of HiFiman HE-500. Wow, I have the gain up and listening in the balanced mode and these cans are loud at about 9 o'clock. I'm sure the BHA can drive some of the very efficient speakers out there. I'm interested to see what this sounds like as a preamp. Will report when everything breaks in.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #332 on: 8 Oct 2012, 08:53 pm »

Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 3:50 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Nomination for the Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier.

Dear James:

Congratulations on your 28th Annual TEC Awards Nomination for Outstanding Technical Achievement in the category of Amplification Hardware/Studio & Sound Reinforcement for the:

Bryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone Amplifier.

Best regards,

Eric Geer
Director
TEC Foundation for Excellence in Audio
28th Annual TEC Awards

Marius

« Reply #333 on: 8 Oct 2012, 08:59 pm »
HI James,

ordered my BHA1 a couple of weeks ago, any idea how long I will have to wait?
Needless to say you need to compensate for the long wait with your personal signature on this one  :thumb:

Thanks,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #334 on: 8 Oct 2012, 09:17 pm »
HI James,

ordered my BHA1 a couple of weeks ago, any idea how long I will have to wait?
Needless to say you need to compensate for the long wait with your personal signature on this one  :thumb:

Thanks,
Marius

I will check Marius - today is a holiday in Canada.

James

Marius

« Reply #335 on: 8 Oct 2012, 09:30 pm »
Great, and sorry for not knowing Canadian Thanksgiving  :oops: :duh:

found a nice site about those international holidays http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/canada/thanksgiving-day

Enjoy!
Marius
I will check Marius - today is a holiday in Canada.

James

Chrisart

« Reply #336 on: 10 Oct 2012, 03:10 pm »
Hi,

Engineering tells me maximum 10 pairs at a time based on 300 ohms.

james

Hi James!
Thanks for the information. It seems that my solution would be to have two BHA-1 Headphone amps. Currently, I am running 10 headphones on my system plus two more from my Metric Halo ULN-8 IO headphone out. This means I could use one BHA-1 with my current setup but If I expand, I would have to get a second BHA-1. Lots to think about ;-)

Thanks again for the info!

Chris

Vipers

« Reply #337 on: 11 Oct 2012, 01:17 pm »
Who said miracles can't happen, after what seems like months of waiting my BHA-1 has just arrived, and as a bonus I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD700's arriving tomorrow :)

Right, must dash, I've got more important things to do than being on here :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #338 on: 11 Oct 2012, 01:19 pm »
Who said miracles can't happen, after what seems like months of waiting my BHA-1 has just arrived, and as a bonus I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD700's arriving tomorrow :)

Right, must dash, I've got more important things to do than being on here :wink:

Looking forward to your feedback  :thumb:

james

saveloy

« Reply #339 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:04 pm »

Today I made the journey north of my London home to visit Hi-Fi Lounge.
It took 45 minutes door to door - less time than travelling into central London. With the added bonus of having the car (in the car park) ready to take home any purchases (or stolen items). 
The building (both inside & out) & surrounding area are beautiful, and there are no issues with noise - ironically. 
Paul and his wife, Wendy, were there today.  And they make a fine team.  Paul is a very eager and enthusiastic man, friendly and brimming with energy.
And combined with the laid back vibe of the whole establishment, it all comes together to form a relaxed and very pleasant atmosphere.  Almost akin to being at a friend's home for a night of hi-fi nirvana. 

Inside, there are 3 rooms on 2 levels.  The main room includes an AV set up & those huge PMC MB2s.  Downstairs in the 2nd room it is more restrained, with various equipment, and the 3rd is a dedicated headphone lounge.  And it is the contents of this room with which I was very impressed........

The Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amp had only just arrived.  With a full selection of lovely Grado cans on display I began at the very top - the PS1000, costing an eye watering £2000!
Sitting snugly on my little head I began with Alanis Morissette singing in my ears.  And then moved on to Queens of the Stone Age, and some classic Faith No More.
I wasn't expecting the excellent detail retrieval or the bright presentation.  They certainly didn't have the familiar Grado sound.
Next up was the GS1000, at £1000.  These sounded far more familiar, nowhere near as detailed, but the warmth gave the sound a real charm.  But they sounded a little muddy after their bigger brother.
Finally I tried the PS500, a snip at £700.  And straight away I knew I'd found 'the one'.  The warmth of the GS1000 was there, along with a great deal of detail and punch.  The bass was full, energetic & nicely defined, and a real sweetness to the mids and highs.  And a better balance to the overall sound, too - lovely. 
The Bryston BHA-1 wasn't too shabby, either!  Well done, James.

Kyri