BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #200 on: 24 Aug 2012, 10:34 am »
HI James,

Thanks, just to be 100% certain before ordering: so balanced and unbalanced sources can be used simultaneously, and independently selected with the little input-selector on the BHA? In fact just like the BP26 source selection works? As opposed to the input-selection switch on the Bp1.5, where either MC or MM can be accommodated, but only 1 at a time in 1 setup)

Marius

Hi Marius,

Correct - the source select determines which input signal gets sent to the front panel outputs.

james

Marius

« Reply #201 on: 24 Aug 2012, 10:36 am »
thank you sir, wonderful  :thumb:

I take it the selected source gets sent to the newly added back panel outs too...

Hi Marius,

Correct - the source select determines which input signal gets sent to the front panel outputs.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #202 on: 24 Aug 2012, 10:40 am »
thank you sir, wonderful  :thumb:

I take it the selected source gets sent to the newly added back panel outs too...

Correct :thumb:

James

terrycym

« Reply #203 on: 24 Aug 2012, 11:21 am »
So, the back panel outputs are just a parallel connection of the front panel balanced headphone outputs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #204 on: 24 Aug 2012, 11:30 am »
So, the back panel outputs are just a parallel connection of the front panel balanced headphone outputs?

Correct.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #205 on: 30 Aug 2012, 11:36 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Customer Feedback BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier

DATE: August 2012

Hi Folks,

The following are some comments of some “HEADFIERS” regarding the Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier and some of the most difficult to drive headphones out there.

james

“Some headfiers and myself, had a meet at my workplace last Saturday.

I had the chance to try the Audeze LCD-3 with the BHA-1. It was a really good synergy and some of the attendees thought it was the best match-up of the day. I compared the LCD-3 and LCD-2.2 for a couple of minutes. The sound signature of both headphones is really similar but the LCD-3 bested the LCD-2.2 in all areas except bass slam and fun factor. They were more refined and textured than the 2.2. I sure can live with the 3 easily but after a comparison of the two, I feel no rush to go buy a pair of LCD-3. I still love my LCD-2.2 (especially with my taste for electronic music). But the LCD-3 are definitely a superior headphone for musicality and accuracy.

BUT, the biggest surprise of the meet, was when we tried the Hifiman (insanely hard to drive) HE-6 with the Bryston. Absolutely everybody who listened to this combo, were blown away by it's musicality and sense of realism. Yes we had to push the Bryston to it's power limits on most songs but the results were nothing short of spectacular. I prefered the Hifiman to the LCD-3 by a nose. I would like to have the chance to demo them for a much longer session on my Bryston (Benjamin?). Even the owner of the HE-6, Benjamin, said that he finally discovered the full potential of the HE-6 for the first time. And he feeds the HE-6 with the supposedly matching Hifiman EF-6 headphone amp. He was thinking of selling the HE-6 but after hearing them with the Bryston he is now considering of selling the EF-6 amp and looking for a Bryston BHA-1.

The BHA-1 and HE-6, are really, really an impressive combo.”

Lappy27's

Vipers

« Reply #206 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:26 pm »
That last paragraph has got me rather excited as I spoke to the HiFiman rep again in the week regarding being a stockist, he is very cautious at the moment about who he signs as a dealer as he has only just taken on the account himself, I think I may have to send him a copy of that message as with the BHA-1 on demo it would be great to have it paired with the HE-6's, well that is if my BHA-1 ever arrives, eh James :wink:

myview

« Reply #207 on: 6 Sep 2012, 10:33 am »
Dear all,

I just received my BHA-1 2 days ago.

People who know me know that I am not someone given to exaggeration.  I am not usually dramatic about situations.  I tend to be fairly rational and analytical when it comes to many situations.  And my initial listening impression of this headphone amp fresh out-of-the-box:  Wow!

Headphones used: Hifiman HE-6 (balanced terminated with a 4-pin XLR using the stock cable)
Source: an inexpensive NAD C542 CD Player
Interconnects: an inexpensive Belden 1505F cable with Canare RCA plugs (singled-ended)
Power cord: stock power cords which come supplied with equipment

Even with the above inexpensive set-up, I was able to have the best sound I have ever experienced from my HE-6.

I am not good with descriptions using hifi speak so please pardon me.  I read hifi magazines and have been lurking in hifi forums for years and I still do not know what some of the commonly used jargons mean precisely.  So I shall use a very layman approach to describe what I hear: the HE-6/BHA-1 combination allowed me to hear deep into the recordings.

I listen mostly to classical music, from large scale orchestral works to chamber music.  Treble was crystal clear (in some orchestral recordings, the sound of the triangle - emerging from the back of the orchestra - lingered on for quite a while).  Bass was solid, weighty and tight.  Orchestral tuttis were 'big' (for lack of a better word).  The soundstage was wide and gave the illusion of it extending well beyond the headphones.  Solo piano tones were very beautiful.  Recorded solo violins didn't sound shrill at all (and when miked closely enough, I could actually hear into the 'timbre' of the bow coming into contact with the strings - does this make sense?).  Mass and solo string pizzicatos were very crisp.

A bit of history....
Before the BHA-1 was officially released, I had some correspondence with James Tanner through E-mail and also through this forum with regard to its expected driving capability for some of the more hard-to-drive headphones.  In particular, I was concerned that the BHA-1 would not be powerful enough to drive the HE-6.  In fact, I was so certain - although sight unseen, sound unheard - it WOULD NOT be powerful enough to drive the HE-6 that I went ahead to buy the less 'demanding' HE-500 (the second model in Hifiman's planar series) in preparation for the arrival of the (long-overdue) BHA-1.

Well, after my initial listening impressions, I can now breathe easy...(and end up with an additional pair of headphones I don't really need)

(For those interested, I set the BHA-1 to 'high gain' and use single-ended RCA input from my source.  Depending on the recording level of the source material, my volume knob positions on the BHA-1 range from 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock.  If I turn up my volume knob any more, the music becomes excessively loud and I risk damaging my hearing)

I have learned from this experience that my perception of things is often coloured, and unneeded paranoia caused, by people's impressions as posted on the forums.  I pre-judge things too definitvely.  I somehow got the impression from hearsay that the BHA-1 would not be able to sufficently drive the HE-6.  "HE-6 needs a speaker amp to drive it optimally", so some say.  That impression is now thrown out of the window, based on my own experience.  The bottom line is, whenever possible - and I understand that it's not always possible or convenient - we should always listen to the gear ourselves and form our own (hopefully not too subjective) opinions.

The HE-6/BHA-1 are a great match.
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2012, 02:09 pm by myview »

Marius

« Reply #208 on: 8 Sep 2012, 08:32 am »
Hi James,

Final question before ordering: would there be any advantage sonically in using my external power MPS-2 with the BHA1 because of elimination of power-noise? Any pricing consequences?
I would need a longer power cable than the stock one, so please take that into consideration?
(forgive me not reading through the whole thread again, I seem te remember a previous discussion about this, but can not find it anymore. sorry)

if there are any other  special order options, could you list those please?
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #209 on: 8 Sep 2012, 11:56 am »
Hi James,

Final question before ordering: would there be any advantage sonically in using my external power MPS-2 with the BHA1 because of elimination of power-noise? Any pricing consequences?
I would need a longer power cable than the stock one, so please take that into consideration?
(forgive me not reading through the whole thread again, I seem te remember a previous discussion about this, but can not find it anymore. sorry)

if there are any other  special order options, could you list those please?
Marius

Hi Marius,

I would not go with the external power supply version.  In fact i am thinking of dropping that option.  There is no performance advantage and I think it limits the resale ability of the BHA as well as prevents you using it in other systems or rooms in your home.

Make sure you get the latest unit with the Balanced rear outputs.

james

Marius

« Reply #210 on: 8 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm »
Thanks, always appreciate an honest VP!

If I order one this week, it will be the latest with the rear balanced outputs? My dealer won;t have a stock BHA1 i suppose.

Marius

Hi Marius,

I would not go with the external power supply version.  In fact i am thinking of dropping that option.  There is no performance advantage and I think it limits the resale ability of the BHA as well as prevents you using it in other systems or rooms in your home.

Make sure you get the latest unit with the Balanced rear outputs.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #211 on: 8 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm »
Thanks, always appreciate an honest VP!

If I order one this week, it will be the latest with the rear balanced outputs? My dealer won;t have a stock BHA1 i suppose.

Marius

Hi Marius

Yes given the serious backorder situation I would assume a new one would have to be ordered.

James

bjski

« Reply #212 on: 8 Sep 2012, 01:48 pm »
James,
I know you are having great successes with the BHA, ccongrdulations. I ordered mine the first week of July and still waiting. Brought balanced cables for HiFiman 500 along with Sennhieser 650. Just curious the time frame on the back orders?
Thanks,
BJ Hammell

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #213 on: 8 Sep 2012, 01:56 pm »
James,
I know you are having great successes with the BHA, ccongrdulations. I ordered mine the first week of July and still waiting. Brought balanced cables for HiFiman 500 along with Sennhieser 650. Just curious the time frame on the back orders?
Thanks,
BJ Hammell

Hi

What dealer and I will check for you.  Colour and size?

james

mkaiser

« Reply #214 on: 8 Sep 2012, 04:25 pm »
I ordered mine the first week of July and still waiting. Brought balanced cables for HiFiman 500 along with Sennhieser 650. Just curious the time frame on the back orders?/quote]

I ordered mine at roughly the same time as you and was informed today by my dealer that i should receive it in a week or so from today's date so, you probably will be waiting a while longer for yours.  :|

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #215 on: 8 Sep 2012, 05:09 pm »
Dear James,

Was just wondering. Am the happy owner of a B100 integrated. If I were to buy the headphone amp (which I am considering for my Grado GS1000's), would I be able to use the preamp part of the BHA-1 and connect it to the poweramp in (after using the switch), or does it only come with balanced outputs.

If it is possible, do you think I would get a noticeable inprovement of the sound quality?

If not I would "need" to trade the B100 for a 4BSST2, which would have the advantage of the fully balanced connection. One would assume this would be a major step forward soundwise. As the B100 is some 200 euro's more expensive I might even get a good deal, but that obviously depends on the local dealer. As I am also (still) considering the BDP/BDA combo, we just might be able to work out a deal that would make everyone happy.

Cheers,
Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #216 on: 8 Sep 2012, 05:26 pm »
Hi Bob,

Yes BHA only comes with balanced outputs as all the others on the rear panel are inputs.

You could use the Tape Outs (RCA) from the B100 into the BHA-1 RCA ins and that way anything you play on the B100 gets directed to the BHA

james

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #217 on: 8 Sep 2012, 06:09 pm »
Thank you James,

My issue would be that I would like to profit from the pre-amp section of the headphone amp, which you seemed very enthusiastic about and the balanced connection.
Would the: BHA-1 > balanced > B4 SST2 be an audible improvement over the B100, or should I just stick with that?

Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #218 on: 8 Sep 2012, 06:47 pm »
Thank you James,

My issue would be that I would like to profit from the pre-amp section of the headphone amp, which you seemed very enthusiastic about and the balanced connection.
Would the: BHA-1 > balanced > B4 SST2 be an audible improvement over the B100, or should I just stick with that?

Bob

As long as you only need 3 sets of inputs it would be a great combo  :thumb:

James

bjski

« Reply #219 on: 8 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm »
Quote from: bjski on Today at 01:48 pm

James,
    Thanks,
    BJ Hammell

Hi

What dealer and I will check for you.  Colour and size?

james

GTT Audio of NJ. I order 17 inch silver.
Thanks,
BJ