DIY subwoofer recommendations

oskar

DIY subwoofer recommendations
« on: 5 Mar 2019, 04:35 pm »
Asking here what people recommend for DIY box subs.
Budget is +- 600$ for drivers and amp.
Is it wiser to go for a single sub or spend the same for 2 lesser subs?
Can a single plate amp drive 2 subs?
Thanks

Cacophonix

Re: DIY subwoofer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2019, 04:48 pm »
How big of a room are you looking to put this in?
2 subwoofers are preferable. You can buy a behringer inuke amp for ~$250, and spend ~$150 ea on a 12"-15" driver, and you'll get a great subwoofer setup.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right

Cacophonix

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2019, 05:19 pm »
Check this guy's posting -
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/free-classifieds/1404873-2x-eminence-lab-15-priced-to-sell-like-new-never-used

Great pair of sub drivers! I'd grab them if i didn't already have several sub drivers in my garage.

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2019, 08:39 pm »
I built a Rythmik servo sub a long time ago for my HT system.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products2.html

GR research also sells a version of the Rythmik subs
http://gr-research.com/diysubwooferkits.aspx

IMHO, Rythmiks are really nice subs, and are in your budget.

Randy

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2019, 08:52 pm »
I have built a number of DIY subs.  Nearly too many to count.

Music or movies or both?
Room size?
Have cutting tools or using a place to flat pack cut for you?

Budget seems just fine.

I often end up with car subs.  They are plentiful here in Canada, and are often cheaper than locally available cast basket subs.

oskar

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2019, 09:37 pm »
Ok these are for a music based system that I have hooked to the tele.
This is in the main room of my condo. 4 subs ain't gonna happen but thanks.
Open floor plan with 10' ceilings.
I have decent floor standers that purportedly reach down mi-hi 30's.
The room however seems to eat the base before it gets to my ears.
That''s why I'm wondering about 2 subs that can maybe load the room more evenly.
I'm in Canada and shipping from US can be $$$ and bothersome.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2019, 06:48 am »
Creative Sounds is in Canada

https://www.css-audio.com/online-store/Raw-Drivers-c30441934

I lie! They've moved to Michigan. Sorry for the false alarm.

Wrt DIY subs, consider a dual opposed configuration, helps minimize vibratipn issues. You will most likely want to learn how to do acoustic measurements.

JohnR

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2019, 11:04 am »
The room however seems to eat the base before it gets to my ears.

Seems like your fighting room effects.  Bass behaves in waves.  Think of a bathtub with 4 inches of water in it that you move your hand lengthwise making waves.  As they reach the end they bounce back and interfere with the next wave, either doubling it, canceling it, or muddying up both.  Using side by side bass generators (like your floor standers) will just double the effect, especially in a typical setup across the narrow wall.  That's the advantage of using multiple subs (swarm as Letitrol98 mentioned).  If you can't fit 4 smaller subs, put one in the back of the room.  Note that these room effects are frequency/location dependent.  Rythmik L12 would be a good choice.

A less preferred option would be to try room correction DSP.  REW (Room EQ Wizard) is free and powerful, but Dirac Live is easier to use.  Both require buying a $75 calibrated USB microphone and can only be set up for a single listening spot. 

david45

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2019, 02:00 pm »
For a condo and 2-channel application,  I would highly recommend open baffle subwoofers especially if you are fighting room nodes. They are much more neighbor friendly than regular subwoofers as they load the room differently and much more evenly.

Think 1 Eminence Alpha 15a mounted on H-frame per side, right next to your mains but 3 feet from front wall (side wall doesn't matter). The drivers are available from qcomponents.ca at $105 CAD each. Then order a pair of Yung SD200 (not sd200-6) plate amps from partsexpress on sale at $110 USD each and you're all set. SD300 amps would give you a bit more headroom and they are only 10$ more.

Yes I do realize partsexpress is in the States but the amps are amazing value and are perfect for the alphas.

In my condo, I run dual servo-controlled 12'' woofers on each side (OB configuration, H-frame, 4 drivers total) and for music it is miles ahead of the JL Audio Fathom F113 I ocasionnaly use for HT. Listening room has 9-foot ceilings and is about 3000 ft3.

Personally I use a shipping address just accross the border in Vermont and drive down from Montreal every once in a while, but I've ordered from partsexpress directly in the past as well to have audio stuff delivered in Canada and it's always trouble free. There's no way it can cost you over $420CAD for the 2 plate amps.

As a bonus, H-frames are relatively easy to build ;)

What's the rest of your system and what speakers are you using? How big is your room? Average listening levels at main listening position? Type of music?

Another option to power the 8 ohms Alphas on the cheap:

''As a less expensive option to the Dayton APA 150's I also use a 100 watt AV receiver to drive another pair of OB Alphas in another system. Each Alpha employs an 80hz low pass XO from PE. My CD player passes it's digital signal to the AV receiver while it's analog signal goes to a SET which drives the main full rangers.

Since so many folks have upgraded to HDMI receivers there are plenty of good used non-HDMI AV receivers available which have more than enough power to drive the Alphas. The Denon I use cost $35 at a garage sale. An advantage for me in using an AVR is having a remote to control the Alpha's volume.''
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2019, 03:24 pm by david45 »

oskar

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2019, 03:29 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.
I have a wood shop so that's why DIY appeals to me. More bang for my bucks.
I've read much about OB subs and peoples testimonials how they load room in a different way resulting in what some describe as the the best bass they've heard.  Regrettably I cannot use them here due to space constraints.
John thanks for the Solen link. Never heard of them but will investigate. They don't show plans for how to build boxes. I need to be told exactly what to do. Technically challenged.
Can one behringer inuke amp run 2 subs?
I have a Nuprime IDA-16. Mac mini as server. Tekton Lore-S.

david45

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2019, 04:21 pm »

Can one behringer inuke amp run 2 subs?

Most of them are stereo amps just like Crown and their xls line so 2 subs is not a problem, but we would need more specific information ;)

As a suggestion you could drive 2 Dayton RSS265HO-4 in sealed enclosures...they work well in small boxes with EQ/DSP

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/subwoofers/rss265ho-4/

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2019, 04:38 pm »
Parts Express has a few kits available. CNC cut panels ready for assembly.  Package deals with amp and driver. Amps have a 5 year warranty.  15" or 18" kits I think.  There is an article from 2017 in Audioexpress magazine about the 18" kit.
https://www.audioxpress.com/news/get-hands-on-and-up-to-date-with-audioxpress-february-2017-now-available

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2019, 05:18 pm »
I have bought lots of stuff from Quebec based Solen.  Trustworthy provider in Canada.

I have also used Q Components in Waterloo.

Not sure which part of the country you're in.

oskar

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2019, 07:16 pm »
I'm in Toronto.
I'll look into Q Components.
If I read correctly the plate amps that GR sells can run 2 subs off a single amp.
So I could start with one sub then add another.
I always thought the GR kits were only meant for OB but now I see there's a sealed box plan.
Hmmm

david45

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2019, 11:37 pm »

GR Research... I'm pretty sure I've heard of these guys

before!!  :thumb:

Send Danny an email and he'll help you figure it out.

And don't be afraid to post on his circle and ask for help.

I'm in Toronto.
I'll look into Q Components.
If I read correctly the plate amps that GR sells can run 2 subs off a single amp.
So I could start with one sub then add another.
I always thought the GR kits were only meant for OB but now I see there's a sealed box plan.
Hmmm

lokie

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2019, 01:03 am »
For DIY google these three and do your research:
DIY Audio (website)-  Tapped Horn Subs
Rythmik Subs either cabinet or open baffle (GR Research)
Infinite Baffle Subs