Opinions/Thoughts

Mr Peabody

Opinions/Thoughts
« on: 14 Dec 2018, 12:32 am »
I'm thinking about trying to sell out of my analog.  However, I don't want to sell it off piece by piece.  I don't want a record collection without my turntable or vice versa.  I also wouldn't ship.

Here's what I have, do you think there would be a chance of selling all at once, in a package?

Clearaudio Performance DC with Maestro cart (low hours, but don't have a real estimate)
AcousTech Ph-1 Premier (made by Sutherland for Acoustic Sounds, no longer sold, highly configurable )
I have a 3 shelf Music Direct album rack, has rollers and around 1,000 albums.  Albums are all genres, mostly Rock, including  what we call in this area KSHE Klassics.  Most good to great condition.

I was thinking $5k, thoughts if about right?

My eye sight is getting bad enough I can no longer recognize the LP covers is the only reason I'm entertaining this.  I've collected records since a young child.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Opinions/Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2018, 02:58 pm »
That's sad to hear. Good luck with your decision though.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2018, 04:17 pm »
Thinking about it $5k may be too high.  I was just curious if any of you thought there was a chance of selling an entire package like that all at once.  I suppose it would just take the right buyer looking to get into vinyl or willing to sell off what they wouldn't need.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2018, 05:03 pm »
Agreed. It seems like one of those "right time, right place" type situations for all parties involved. The mere thought of it sounds awesome to me, as I've always struggled to get into vinyl, but the price has always been the only obstacle. If nothing else, you've put it out there. You never know what may come of it now that the information is out there. A couple months from now, you may get a PM saying, "I've got a guy interested if it's still for sale".

popthinker

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2018, 08:24 pm »
The tough part might be the KSHE Classics. Many people who know and love them already have them because we're of an age where we bought the original albums. You might find someone who got rid of their collection and yearns for its return. I guess my suggestion is if you do any splitting of things at all, you sell off the albums to Vintage Vinyl or a collector and then sell the rest as a bundle.

Good luck!

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2018, 09:40 pm »
From the Audiogon Blue Book - these are average used prices:
Clearaudio Performance DC $2285
Maestro cart - Wood $562 or Ebony $689
AcousTech PH-1 $733

You didn't mention which tonearm and there is significant value there So your $5K price really was pretty close without the records.

I think popthinker has a good suggestion but you could advertise the complete package at say $5000 and tell prospective buyers the records are a bonus.  Maybe start @ $5500 to give yourself some wiggle room.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2018, 09:49 pm »
Thanks.

The arm is the stock magnetic that comes with the Performance DC, the name ascapes me.

The KSHE Klassics is a small percentage of the collection, it really is a wide range.  But something like Rare Bird or Long John Baldry is worth more than let's say Def Leppard's Pyromania. 

popthinker

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2018, 01:38 am »
In this town, you may want to peel off those KSHE classics and see what a local store will pay. With the renewed popularity of vinyl, it may be a way a get a bit of the $5k without the rest of the package. Rare Bird LPs at Euclid currently range from $8 to $28.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2018, 04:13 am »
The basic Satisfy tonearm is valued at $463 just to round out the info.  I'm sure if purchased as a package originally the table, arm, and cartridge were less than the sum of the individual parts at retail.  Music Direct quotes $4750 for exactly what you have.  Oh, and that rack to hold the records retailed for $699.

So your $5K price is OK but since it needs to be local you may need to do some negotiating.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2018, 07:16 pm »
Thanks for the pricing Jake.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2018, 10:39 pm »
Can you post a link to the rack?  Maybe a photo?

Mr Peabody

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2018, 02:53 am »
PM a phone number and I can send a picture.  I'll see if I can locate a link.

mitch stl

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2018, 02:27 pm »
Just a comment -- I have a good friend who sold 2,500 pristine rock albums to a local record store two or three years back. He got $1,000 for the lot. Don't know if things have changed much since then, and I see that your offer includes equipment. Good luck with your collection!

JakeJ

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2018, 03:59 pm »
That is a common for a record store.  Buy low, sell high keeps the lights on.  GLWTS.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:13 am »
Record buyers and stereo hi-fi equipment buyers are two distinct markets.  It may be worth your while to advertise your equipment on Audio Mart or Audiogon and ship it if you kept the original boxes.  My experience is pretty good using both these on-line markets. 

Records - not so much.  eBay is not bad but shipping is a pain.  Also many titles just won't sell.  On the other hand, you may be able to sell your whole collection to Vintage Vinyl in U City or Euclid Records in Webster Groves.  Both of these shops buy pre-owned vinyl.  As to how much they will pay - no idea.  I'd call them both up and gage their interest.

justauby

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:32 am »
I may be interested in purchasing your lot of albums.  Any chance you could get me a list of them? 

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2018, 07:02 pm »
I can vouch for Mr. Peabody as a phenomenal seller, and I've seen his record collection.

I would never sell records to a record store-they usually pay 10-50¢ for an album they want, and won't buy wholesale lots.

Selling stuff in St. Louis is difficult, and even more difficult when you're talking real audiophile equipment.  Good luck!

jibzilla

« Reply #17 on: 24 Dec 2018, 07:22 pm »
I would love to cherry pick your kshe klassics. I would love to buy them all but I don't have the space. I would give you $1-$5 instead of 10-50 cents.

jameskrack86@gmail.com

electricbear

« Reply #18 on: 26 Dec 2018, 07:59 pm »
Have you thought about adding an automatic table to your system so you can still listen to your vinyl when there is no one to assist you with your main deck?
It obviously would not sound as good as your main rig but at least you could still play vinyl.

Cz606

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2018, 02:55 pm »
I have been looking to upgrade my table for a little bit now, though your set up is admittedly a bit nicer than I had envisioned. I also may be interested in the vinyl. I’m fairly recently into vinyl and, while I have a decent number of albums, nearly all were from a couple collections I bought. One of my larger purchases wasn’t well loved and I would be willing to rebuy them to upgrade condition. For example, I pulled out Grateful Dead’s Europe 72 awhile back and there was so much background noise I decided to stream it on Spotify instead.

Long way of saying that I may be interested in buying everything as a package if that’s how you would still like to sell it. Please just let me know.