I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #220 on: 20 Mar 2019, 03:42 pm »
You have a valid point - superchargers are not all that.  They often are in dis-array, vandalized, dysfunctional or on a high demand electric day the electric company will limit current to the supercharger stations, leaving you significantly delayed.  If you use a supercharger use a free one.  Two to each and if someone uses the second you loose 25% current and they only get that 25%. 

Minnesota to Pacific NW, I end up going through Colorado due to lack of northern infrastructure.

Being a long time Tesla Owner and having traveled across country there are benefits and disadvantages.  I recommend using destination chargers - hotels that accommodate electric vehicles.  Super chargers are often in desirable locations - good stores, restaurants, bathrooms.  Unlike fast food/truck stops/rest stops.  Full charge gives me enough time to eat, use the bathroom, walk around with little inconvenience.  Also prevents me from speeding since the loss of efficiency is penalized in charging time.  Western Red states where the speed limit is 85 PMH and most traveling 95 mph or more, I find myself in the slow lane.

I have never traveled long distances in the winter but expect 30% drop in battery efficiency. 

I find the 3 much better than the S for enjoyment of driving.  The standard stereo in the Performance is far superior to the premium sound system of the S.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #221 on: 20 Mar 2019, 03:57 pm »
While I do think e-cars reduction of environmental impact vs ICE is overstated, I'd love to buy a used Chevy Bolt at some point...

For those considering a Tesla I'd look at used e-car values and do more research, imo a used Bolt is the best way to go unless you want a larger and more luxurious car, but that of course uses more resources... those with a Model S/X with a long range battery are absolutely not "saving the planet" or anything close to that, and Elon himself will not say that is it's main goal, as it's not. They are primarily toys. In the JRE podcast he says they are primarily for enjoyment. IMO, it is possible that having a high end e-car like Tesla to shape public perception of e-cars as something "cool" may be their largest contribution to the world.

Calypte

« Reply #222 on: 21 Mar 2019, 09:00 pm »
I thought the Chevy model is called Volt.  No?

Russell Dawkins

sts9fan

« Reply #224 on: 22 Mar 2019, 02:22 am »
Volt is now discontinued I believe but terrible marketing volt/bolt.
Both my wife and I drive Bolts. Great car.

Philistine

« Reply #225 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:06 pm »
I've had Audi's and BMW's for the last 35 years, also bought Toyota and Fords as second cars for wife/kids.  I had a Tesla Model S on extended demo a few years ago and loved it, couldn't justify buying it because of the low annual mileage I cover (5k -6k) so bought a BMW M235xi.

I test drove the Tesla Performance Model 3 a few weeks ago, crazy acceleration that's up their with super car performance, it was so much fun I bit the bullet and was going to place an order.  Before doing so I then tested the Long Range Model 3 a few days later, it was as fast as my M235 on paper but more practical in execution, so finished up buying one and love it, the Performance version is more power than I needed.  It's not just the immediate acceleration from 0-60, at moderate highway speeds the acceleration latency is minimal when compared to a dinosaur fossil fueled equivalent - you don't have to wait for the gears to drop down and the revs to build up, it just takes off.  I traded my BMW, which was no slouch but designed to cackle and pop like a race car, which gave the cops advanced notice that I was heading towards them and 'nailing it'.  The Tesla is silent and in 'stealth mode' in comparison, so less conspicuous in execution  :D  In addition the handling is amazing, all the weight from the batteries on the floor pan gives the feeling that you're driving on rail tracks.

The other difference is the traditional auto makers started their EV builds on the basis of experience on designing internal combustion engines, they just transferred this experience and knowledge.  Tesla approached car building from the perspective of a technology business, consequently their vehicles have useful and practical features that traditional audio makers don't have.

So, I get where Frank's coming from - you really have to drive one to get it.  Any criticism is purely speculation until you have.  So, go for it Frank and get rid of the Audi before the timing belt needs replacing!

audioengr

« Reply #226 on: 25 Mar 2019, 08:30 pm »
Volt is now discontinued I believe but terrible marketing volt/bolt.
Both my wife and I drive Bolts. Great car.

GM's new plant is only for their new Chevy electric. Hiring/transferring about 800 workers.  2021 availability I believe.

avahifi

« Reply #227 on: 27 Mar 2019, 02:29 pm »
I visited the Tesla show room again yesterday.

Still just snooping, but main reason was to confirm that my tired old legs would let me get in and out of the Model 3 gracefully.  Newer Audi models won't work for me  - - their door openings are too short.  The Model 3 was a success, plenty of room for me to enter and exit with no drama.

I am still thinking about a rear drive long range model.  New things I learned.  Tesla just increased the power and range of this model by 5 percent with a new over the air software upgrade.  Nice!  The self driving software now recognizes signal lights.

As an Audi owner I appreciate excellent fit and finish automobile workmanship.  I found no issues with any of the Model 3 units I saw at the show room, either inside or on their lot.  Paint, panel fit, and trim were all just fine.  The horror stories about bad workmanship on Teslas is just old news FUD.

I may pull the trigger the end of May, Model 3 long range, rear drive, black metallic paint, no other options.  I will wait for a download of a free trial of the Autopilot and self drive software for spending more on that now.  Might be important down the road when they want to take my car keys away from me.

Frank

borism

« Reply #228 on: 27 Mar 2019, 02:40 pm »
We just bought a T3 beginning of December. The quality of the car is tremendous. Not one initial quality complaint. It works great and a complete pleasure to drive. Our model is the long range, dual motor. The overnight charging in the garage has also worked out well.

Boris

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #229 on: 11 Apr 2019, 12:52 pm »
Tesla To Benefit From Bill Expanding Federal Electric Vehicles Tax Credits

“A bipartisan group of lawmakers Wednesday said they intend to introduce a bill to expand federal tax credits for buyers of EVs in a huge boost for the growing EV market. The bill will also extend the hydrogen fuel cell credit through 2028.

The “Driving America Forward Act” (DAFA) will grant each EV maker a $7,000 tax credit for an additional 400,000 vehicles

https://www.ibtimes.com/tesla-benefit-bill-expanding-federal-electric-vehicles-tax-credits-2784777

audioengr

« Reply #230 on: 11 Apr 2019, 05:46 pm »
Model 3 is the best selling car in Switzerland.

Photon46

« Reply #231 on: 11 Apr 2019, 06:06 pm »
Model 3 is the best selling car in Switzerland.

That statistic is actually "the best selling recent vehicle launch." It remains to be seen how it stands in sales volume as time passes. The number one selling car model in Switzerland in 2018 is Skoda Octavia, then VW's Tiguan and Golf. The Tesla model 3 is in 13th place for 2018 total sales volume.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #232 on: 28 Apr 2019, 12:21 pm »
“The best keeps getting better.”

“This week, one of those improvements was to deliver a few Easter eggs — as promised by CEO Elon Musk  — including the ability to make a Tesla vehicle fart on demand or every time a turn signal is used.”

In contrast, a “romance mode”, a fireplace with burning logs that displays on the monitor as the car heats up.

I went to a local EV car meet-up yesterday, in the snow, and checked out three Tesla models ... VERY impressive. I’ll probably buy the 3 model - in the 55k range with AWD - but I’ll have to pass on the two more expensive models, the S and the X at $96,000 and $110,000.

Farts come free. The driver can direct them to passenger seats, whoopie cushion style. The owner of the S said his kids can’t wait to get friends in the car.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/19/listen-to-a-tesla-make-6-farting-noises-on-demand/

Sent from my iPad

Philistine

« Reply #233 on: 8 Jun 2019, 01:35 pm »
I've had my Model 3 Long Range AWD for 4 months now,  had a couple of road trips and a few observations.  Prior to Tesla I've had Audi/BMW's for the last 30 years plus, I got tired of the BMW brand - the engine noise was pumped through the stereo and I had to buy the GPS map upgrade from BMW and have the local dealership install it (this just shows how they're behind the times and gouging customers).

The Positives:
The biggest surprise, apart from the crazy acceleration and roadholding, is noise fatigue - on long journeys I didn't appreciate how tiring the constant drone from an ICE was.  The Teslas is so quiet that long journeys are far more relaxing and the premium stereo is crystal clear. 
I've had 4 over the air software upgrades that have improved performance and added/improved functions - Pet Mode, Sentry Mode, improved acceleration...
Service intervals - brake fluid flush every 2 years, battery coolant flush every 4 years.  If you have a service need outside of the regular maintenance the options are to go to the nearest Tesla store or have a Tesla Ranger come to your house or work.
I changed my driving style to compensate for regeneration, after learning how to modulate the accelerator pedal I now rarely use the brake pedal apart from coming to a final stop.
With a 220v outlet I can charge at 30 miles of range per hour of charge, more than adequate for local driving needs.
With Superchargers I can get 500 miles per hour of charge, a 700 mile trip cost $20 for the Superchargers.
You get a lot of performance for little money, the model 3 I have isn't the performance version but equivalent to or beats performance ICE's.  The Tesla performance models give you super car performance for a fraction of the cost.

The negatives:
Seats don't give the same side support as BMW sports seats - I slide around when cornering hard.
Constant price changes - since I bought it the price has changed at least 3 times as options are changed and bundled together or features eliminated or offered as cost add ons. 
Autopilot isn't there yet - slows down behind slow moving traffic on the highway instead of passing, too polite at busy interchangers when it needs to be more assertive (it will see a gap, indicate but when someone accelerates to take the gap it backs off).
Accident repairs - small shunts can be very expensive and can have long repear times.  The bumpers have all the cameras and LIDAR which are costly to fix, forum users complain of up to 3-4 month repair times.
Tire wear - I'm used to getting 12k miles on performance cars, Tesla owners coming from Honda/Toyota/Ford etc...are shocked when they can't get 35k from a set of tires.  Tesla's are heavy and fast, you can't expect tire longevity if you use the performance they have.

For me the positives outweigh the negatives, it's not in away a perfect car but for my driving style its significantly better than any other car I've had.  The major difference is Tesla are a technology business and approach car design totally differently from a traditional car producer - the car I bought has already been improved through software updates and it's cost me nothing, this wouldn't have been the case with a BMW (and other manufacturers).  Everyone who's driven it, or been a passenger, has wanted to get one - once you've been for a test drive you've got to have one, they're totally different to ICE and just more fun...I've got a neighbor who's a retired Delta and F15 pilot, he wants one and claims it's more fun than an F15 (linear acceleration from the Tesla is the kicker).  If anyone is considering a Tesla I'm happy to answer any ownership questions...

won ton on

« Reply #234 on: 8 Jun 2019, 02:22 pm »
Philistine         Nice post,does the range go way down in a traffic jam stop and go like an ice car.

RPM123

« Reply #235 on: 8 Jun 2019, 03:41 pm »
Thank you for the very informative post of your experience! How does insurance compare to an Audio or BMW?

Philistine

« Reply #236 on: 8 Jun 2019, 03:58 pm »
Philistine         Nice post,does the range go way down in a traffic jam stop and go like an ice car.

In traffic the range is only negatively impacted by the AC or heating being on, the AC is very efficient and they advise to use the heated seats in the winter more than heating the interior as it's more efficient.  The biggest hit on the range is using Sentry Mode - I left mine at the airport last week and lost 22 miles a day, next time I'll hook up to a charger in the airport lot or shut it down if I'm away for an extended period.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #237 on: 8 Jun 2019, 04:31 pm »
A friend just got a 3... Dual motor AWD performance, 0-60 in 3.2s. I drove it, it's very impressive, especially acceleration under ~60 mph! The suspension isn't as good as some dedicated sports cars, but provides a great balance of compliance and support for aggressive driving. GM's ‎meteriorohological damping suspension systems used on their Caddies and sports cars is far superior, but few will care or notice at all... for what it is, it's very well done.

IMO it is the ultimate town-car and commuter car, you get any level of acceleration any time without noise or tire squeal, the Michelin Pilot Sport tires in 235/20 are excellent tires and provide massive grip for the car. On the highway and from stop lights you'll never have to worry about getting around traffic to make a turn or accelerating to merge.

Very cool car...

Philistine

« Reply #238 on: 8 Jun 2019, 04:38 pm »
Thank you for the very informative post of your experience! How does insurance compare to an Audio or BMW?

I had a BMW M235x and the insurance is slightly less...

audioengr

« Reply #239 on: 8 Jun 2019, 04:43 pm »
One of my customers brought over his performance Model 3 and I test drove it.  Very impressive acceleration and much quieter than I expected.  Nice ride quality.  I thought I would hate the screen on the dash, but it's okay.  I like the roominess of my S, but the 3 is an excellent choice for city driving and parking.  Anyone that is thinking seriously, I can give them a link for free unlimited supercharging.

Steve N.