Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles

RonN5

Re: Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles
« Reply #20 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:06 pm »
NB

It would be interesting to hear a comparison...between your F15s and your Omegas....price not withstanding....not a which is better...but more of a what are the sound differences you have observed....

guf

« Reply #21 on: 7 Nov 2019, 04:34 pm »
Demand is high, the 15's seemed to be out for a while.  I went ahead and just ordered the 10's. I use a sub so maybe it'll work for me.  Thanks for the motivation.

iheaka71

« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2019, 01:00 am »
Glad to see folks enjoy their Lii Audio speakers. I bought the Fast 10 about a month ago and am currently building a box with curved sides. Dimensions are 33" tall, 14" wide and 17" in length. These drivers sound amazingly nice.... better than the B&W 800D's. Right now they are lacking a little bit in bass but I believe that's because I have been playing them in incomplete enclosures(breaking them in for now).

Last week I listened to James Brown's duet with Pavarotti, "It's a man's world" and man it made me smile. I also played Hubert Sumlin's "Sometimes I think Im right" and..... well it's just beautiful. Right now Im running them with a cheap receiver that I purchased from best buy. Once I'm done building the box, then comes the DAC, and a tube amp.

nature boy

« Reply #23 on: 23 Nov 2019, 09:13 pm »
I am closing in on 200 hours with the Caintuck Audio (Randy's) Lii-15 speakers. They just keep sounding better and better. The treble has really smoothed out. The bass, well that is something truly amazing.  This large, single driver seems to do everything well - so coherent & musical.

I spun my new 45RPM Mobile Fidelity Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" release yesterday. I was simply overcome with the intensity of deep bass notes on several songs. No cone break up or distortion whatsoever at high volumes (+95dB). These speakers are incredibly fast my Decware Zen Mystery Amp with 25th Anniversary modifications that nothing gets lost in complex musical passages. The sound is absolutely magical.

I am looking forward to blowing a few minds of family members on Thanksgiving day. Something tells me veryfew guests will be watching football games here on Thursday, they'll be listening to music.

NB

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 23 Nov 2019, 10:19 pm »
Great :D keep us posted.

DavidS

« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2019, 12:55 am »
My Caintuck Lii15s are approaching 50 hours so long ways to go.  Actually first 30 hours wasn't sure - anything that wasn't well recorded sounded awful.  Just today they are starting to open up to get instrument and voice separation and a bit more bass.  My hope is that they will come close to my Spatial M3s only more functional in a small room.  Photo attached.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 27 Nov 2019, 05:32 pm »
David, this your nice OB provide a soundstage low/near the floor as pictured?
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2019, 08:15 pm by FullRangeMan »

DavidS

« Reply #27 on: 27 Nov 2019, 08:12 pm »
yes - good image from where photo is taken.  Listened to new Leonard Cohen last night and was tall image and in the room - these drivers do bass really well as they open up. 

Weird part is I sit at a desk to right of speakers / listening chair fair bit (am right now).  Its like sitting in private balcony seat looking down at stage below me from this seat - so very different image and not something I have experienced before. 

The floating image is big part of the success of the Caintucks as apparenty they use the floor in front to help with image.

sweiss420

« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2019, 07:07 pm »
I'll be making a pair of the large Decware version with the 15" drivers this winter. I made a clone of the original Betsy's using Visaton B200 drivers and they came out very well. They were very fast, very clean but overall a little lightweight. My room isn't ideal either. But it looks like a fun project.

Hi RoadTripper - I was also thinking of making a pair of the Big Betsy speakers. I ordered the Caintuck Betsy with the F15 Drivers but am very intrigued by the Decware Big Betsy. I was looking into using pre-fabricated Butcher Block 1 3/4 inch thick for the baffle to save on cost and effort - what do you think of that idea?
Thanks and regards

uncola

« Reply #29 on: 25 Dec 2019, 11:38 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 25 Dec 2019, 11:44 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 25 Dec 2019, 11:45 pm »
I was looking into using pre-fabricated Butcher Block 1 3/4 inch thick for the baffle to save on cost and effort - what do you think of that idea?
Baltic Birch is a affordable option.

RoadTripper

« Reply #32 on: 26 Dec 2019, 05:01 am »
Just saw this. I have no real opinion on the idea. I have plenty of questions though. Mostly about theories as to how the bigger Betsy baffle will perform versus the original sized one. This question arises when you look at the size of the 15 incher in the context of the teeny original baffle. It seems intuitive that when the speaker size approaches the baffle size, you might as well say you don't have a baffle. So what are you sacrificing by opting for the original baffle size? Another question is what is the optimum baffle thickness versus driver(s) size versus cost? A big part of the appeal of this DIY clone project is cost.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 26 Dec 2019, 05:52 am »
Another question is what is the optimum baffle thickness
I think 30mm in Baltic Birch or real wood are nice, max would be 50mm IMO.
Avoid MDF or HDF.

uncola

« Reply #34 on: 26 Dec 2019, 06:08 am »
roadtripper for open baffle, larger baffles basically just give you more bass

RussGarrett

« Reply #35 on: 24 Jan 2020, 07:18 pm »
Just ordered a pair of F-15's planning on building either the Decware ZF15L or M. How long has it taken to get the speakers from Lii Audio?

thanks

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 24 Jan 2020, 09:57 pm »
Worth mention there is the Visaton baffle:

chips666

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2020, 01:25 pm »

RussGarrett

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2020, 03:32 pm »
Both interesting reads. Thank you.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 26 Jan 2020, 04:51 pm »
Worth mention the Alpha15A 97dB cost $79 made in USA and the Eminence Neodymium series cost is the over $200 range, wonder why the Lii woofer cost $599 ?

I also concerned it dont have a big dome/dust cap to make bass :scratch: