Omegarray

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Omegarray
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2004, 11:48 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Seemed to be the most logical choice.  I am excited to hear about this design and will hopefully be able to hear it, any of the line arrays actually, at some point.  

$5K almost seems like not enough when you consider 16 JP 2.0s are near $1900 and the woofers are easily another $1200.  Doesn't leave you much wiggle room after crossover and cabinet.

I plan to have a demo pair available at some point but I've not decided on which design. As far as the cost, well, I have several years experience working in electronics contract manufacturing. The profit margins in that business are very low so you have to be good at containing costs. That experience has allowed me to offer products at a lower price than other speaker companies. If you look at the cost of the drivers used in other array designs you'll see how overpriced they are. One of them uses woofers that I found on E-Bay  :nono:

klh

Omegarray
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2004, 03:20 am »
What is the low end extension of this speaker, what are the dimensions and how much is the price of kit (if available)?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Omegarray
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2004, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: klh
What is the low end extension of this speaker, what are the dimensions and how much is the price of kit (if available)?

The dimensions will vary depending on if you want a sealed or vented box and need a grille. For a sealed box it's 62" tall, 11-13" wide, and 14" deep (17" deep for the ported enclosure). F3 (-3db point) is 55hz ported and 90hz sealed. $3,300/pair for the kit.

klh

Omegarray
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2004, 11:22 pm »

JFT

Omegarray
« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2004, 10:41 am »
Quote from: Rick Craig

The dimensions will vary depending on if you want a sealed or vented box and need a grille. For a sealed box it's 62" tall, 11-13" wide, and 14" deep (17" deep for the ported enclosure). F3 (-3db point) is 55hz ported and 90hz sealed. $3,300/pair for the kit.

Rick, is it 62" tall or did you mean 72"? Sounds like it's going to be a great speaker.

klh

Omegarray
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2004, 01:03 am »
I thought this line array was supposed to be tall enough to sound good when standing up... at 62" plus a 2" base one would have to be pretty short for that to be true (or on your knees!!). Was there a change in the design? Also, any pictures coming?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Omegarray
« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2004, 03:36 am »
I thought this line array was supposed to be tall enough to sound good when standing up... at 62" plus a 2" base one would have to be pretty short for that to be true (or on your knees!!). Was there a change in the design? Also, any pictures coming?

Have you listened to it? If you don't think it's tall enough for you then let me know what you need and I'll design it. The owner isn't finished with his DIY cabinets yet. When he is I'll post some pictures.

klh

Omegarray
« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2004, 09:05 pm »
Of course I haven't listened to it. And common knowledge with line arrays is they don't have much vertical dispersion so once you get out of the vertical height of topmost driver the sound drops off. Since most people men are well over 5' tall I'd say a 62"+2" enclosure height surely is something to ponder... especially when the speaker is promoted as sounding good whether standing or seated. If it does sound good than my point is moot, but my questioning of that enclosure height justifiably has theoretical legs. I may be wrong, but I have a hard time believing a 6' tall person would like the sound of the line array with that particular height when they are standing or milling about. And, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that increasing the base height or increasing the box height without changing the internal dimension changes the story.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Omegarray
« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2004, 11:25 pm »
Of course I haven't listened to it. And common knowledge with line arrays is they don't have much vertical dispersion so once you get out of the vertical height of topmost driver the sound drops off. Since most people men are well over 5' tall I'd say a 62"+2" enclosure height surely is something to ponder... especially when the speaker is promoted as sounding good whether standing or seated. If it does sound good than my point is moot, but my questioning of that enclosure height justifiably has theoretical ...

Actually the total height is going to be about 76" because the owner is building a subwoofer into the bottom of the cabinet. Keep in mind I do many custom designs so many configurations are possible.

I apologize for being short but I've spent a great deal of time answering your posts and e-mails. Maybe if you explain what you're looking for I can be of more help. What speakers do you currently use?

klh

Omegarray
« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2004, 01:23 am »
rick,

I too was a bit short... and for that I apologize. I have two way MB Quart monitors that are 7 years old. They are fine for college and apartment living, but soon I'll be buying my first home. Since I'm still looking at prospective homes, I don't know whether I'll have a separate home theater or not and what the dimensions will be. What I can say is I want line array mains that are tall enough that casual listening is possible, and I'd be glad to have that at the expense of not being able to lay on the ground. I don't know if they will have to be in a living room or a recreation room and I think it would be smart to plan for different possibilities. A subwoofer isn't a worry because I will ultimately have an infinite baffle set up... the beauty of home ownership! I'd love to have line arrays for surrounds, too, but I don't know how practical that would be (room size and new WAF). I like the idea of a line array with 7" woofers, and I like the cost effectiveness of the X-array, but I'd prefer the length of the array to be a little longer. Also, and its a little unrelated to this thread, but are you working on a center channel with the Vifa's? If so, do you think it would work adequately as a surround, too? Obviously the sound won't be the same as another array, and the horizontal dispersion won't be as great as a vertically oriented monitor or MTM, but it would be easier to mount high on a wall and then have it pointed downward toward the listening position.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Omegarray
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2004, 03:52 am »
rick,

I too was a bit short... and for that I apologize. I have two way MB Quart monitors that are 7 years old. They are fine for college and apartment living, but soon I'll be buying my first home. Since I'm still looking at prospective homes, I don't know whether I'll have a separate home theater or not and what the dimensions will be. What I can say is I want line array mains that are tall enough that casual listening is possible, and I'd be glad to have that at the expense of not being able to lay on ...

I'm thinking of doing a taller array with the 7" drivers. I really like the combination of the XT woofer and the ribbon and extending the height for standing listeners would be easy to do. 8-9 woofers per side is the direction that I'm headed in. I do think that if you use a line of too much length then it becomes more difficult to  maintain a proper soundstage height even with tapering the line.

I have some ideas for a CC but I've not had the time to build a prototype. The XT woofers were part of a WMTW center channel I did a few months back and they work great for that application if you don't need a shielded driver. I've set up systems with arrays in front and point source speakers in the rear and the sound was very good.

OBF

Omegarray
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2004, 07:37 pm »
A subwoofer isn't a worry because I will ultimately have an infinite baffle set up... the beauty of home ownership!

I'm just wondering how you'd implement an IB with an array?  Like would you use an active crossover or would the subs just work with the array's rolloff?

klh

Omegarray
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2004, 08:57 pm »
I was planning on just using line array's roll off and most likely the Behringer feedback destroyer with the IB. I've also been contemplating upgrading with a new receiver or separates... of particular interest is the Pioneer DV-47ai and VSX-55TXi combo. If the DV-47ai is modified by adding the Cinematrix PSM1 chip (cinematrix-usa.com) for better upsampling and the I-link is used for hi rez transfer, that would be one heck of a combo. Since the VSX-55TXi also has room correction, may the Behringer wouldn't be necessary. We'll see, I don't have any of it yet, so it'll be a little while. I've also found a site that modifies Pioneer receivers and supposedly when upgraded, the internals of the VSX-55TXi are better than the Anthem AVM-20. I don't know if I buy that... I'll have to do more research.

geekinthehood

Omegarray
« Reply #33 on: 3 Jun 2004, 07:35 pm »
Quote from: Rick Craig
I apologize for being short but I've spent a great deal of time answering your posts and e-mails.

Rick -

I decided to de-lurk for a post or two.  The reason I pointed out my lurking status is because the questions that you answer from one person are actually the questions of many people. The fact that one person may be the first to ask them doesn't mean that you're being pestered. We all benefit from the answers, no matter who asks the question, and whether or not we make our existance known.

I first heard of your Excelarray a year ago, and have been following Selah Audio ever since. In a couple of years, I hope to be able to afford a pair of your line arrays - in whatever form they have evolved to. You (and your competition) have taken a dream of mine that previously was relegated to fantasy-land and made it reachable.  This isn't simply a matter of saving money on an item I was already planning on buying. You are making possible for me a listening experience that otherwise would not have been.

Thanks.

I seriously doubt that I'm the only one who feels this way OR that I'm the only one who's questions have been answered because someone else has asked them.  The time you spend answering one person's questions is time spent answering everyone's questions.

--darren

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Omegarray
« Reply #34 on: 3 Jun 2004, 08:38 pm »
Quote from: geekinthehood
Rick -

I decided to de-lurk for a post or two.  The reason I pointed out my lurking status is because the questions that you answer from one person are actually the questions of many people. The fact that one person may be the first to ask them doesn't mean that you're being pestered. We all benefit from the answers, no matter who asks the question, and whether or not we make our existance known.

I first heard of your Excelarray a year ago, and have been following Selah Audio ever since. ...

Thanks for your comments. I try to answer as many questions as I can but lately it has been taking away from my time that needs to be spent on current customer orders. Customers have to be my #1 priority with potential buyers right behind them at #2 on my list.

EProvenzano

Omegarray
« Reply #35 on: 3 Jun 2004, 11:59 pm »
Hi Rick,

Will there be any FR curves posted for your new line source designs?

Thanks

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Omegarray
« Reply #36 on: 4 Jun 2004, 03:45 am »
Quote from: EProvenzano
Hi Rick,

Will there be any FR curves posted for your new line source designs?

Thanks

Yes. The Omegarray has been posted and I'm adding others as I find the time.

Rafael Gonzales

Omegarray
« Reply #37 on: 6 Jun 2004, 10:49 am »
Rick, you wrote:

The last speaker in this trio of arrays is going to be the same type of format as the Omegarray, but with ten Seas 5" mag cone woofers per side and eight ribbons. At $7K per pair this will be my reference system.

As I mentioned before, I am hoping to attend CES in January and I will make several other stops along the way.  Do you think there will be a "reference system" ready by then?

I am excited to hear the about the array with 10 Seas drivers.  It sounds like it will be taller than the Excelarrays (one of my concerns).  Also, do you know how low it will go?  I assume a sub may be necessary?

Aloha,

Warren

[/quote]

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Omegarray
« Reply #38 on: 6 Jun 2004, 08:27 pm »
As I mentioned before, I am hoping to attend CES in January and I will make several other stops along the way. Do you think there will be a "reference system" ready by then?

I am excited to hear the about the array with 10 Seas drivers. It sounds like it will be taller than the Excelarrays (one of my concerns). Also, do you know how low it will go? I assume a sub may be necessary?

Aloha,

Warren

The cabinets are in transit for the Incredarray and if they arrive on time I'll be assembling them next weekend. This particular version is 66" tall and has two 12" subwoofers per side built-in. Without a subwoofer it's possible to have a -3db point of 70hz (sealed box) or 45hz (ported box).

Rick

Rafael Gonzales

Thanks Rick.
« Reply #39 on: 7 Jun 2004, 11:09 am »
I will be very excited to hear them and the built-in subs are terrific.

Aloha,

Warren