Quan's SoundScape 8's in Red Matador Mica

jsalk

Quan's SoundScape 8's in Red Matador Mica
« on: 4 Mar 2012, 01:23 pm »
We're finally ready to take the wraps off the newest member of the SoundScape line-up - the SoundScape 8's.

We needed surround speakers for the SoundScape series and developed the SoundScape M7 monitors.  In the process, we built a pair of them with dual 7" drivers.  As word leaked out on that project, people wondered if they could use the floor-standing dual 7" versions as main speakers.  While that certainly would have been possible, they were designed for surround duty and only played down to an F3 of 45Hz.  With the costs involved, we simply thought that people would not want to pay that much for a speaker that only played to 45Hz.  So we started looking for an 8" woofer we could use in a SoundScape version that played lower.

The SoundScape 8's feature the same basic components as the SoundScape 10's and 12's - the same RAAL ribbon, the same Accuton mid and the same dual-opposed passive radiators.  Like it's big brothers, it features the same open-back midrange concept as well.

In order to keep costs down, we designed a more traditional rectangular one-piece cabinet with 1" walls and a 1 1/2" thick front baffle, well-braced and with Blackhole 5 in both the woofer and midrange/tweeter sections.  The cabinet measures 40" tall, 10 1/2 wide and 15" deep - quite small for a speaker that easily plays to an F3 of 25Hz.

While we were working on the design, Quan called to order a pair of Veracity HT3's.  Knowing this model was due to be completed about the same time as we would be finishing up a pair of HT3's for him, I thought it only fair to let him know the design was on the horizon (even though I don't like talking about speakers until they are real products).  He decided to go with the SoundScape 8's and wanted them finished to match his wife's Lexus - a gorgeous three-part automotive finish.

Here is a picture of his Red Matador Mica SoundScape 8's...

And a close-up (you can get a hint of the red mica metalflake in this photo)...

And a picture of the rear...

For more information on the design, here is a link to our SoundScape 8's web pages...
http://www.salksound.com/soundscape%208%20home.htm

Happy listening Quan!

- Jim

Charles Xavier

Re: Quan's SoundScape 8's in Red Matador Mica
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2012, 01:47 pm »
Truly an artist

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2012, 01:50 pm »
Very nice!  :thumb:

Wayne

kip_

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2012, 02:07 pm »
Beautiful work as always Jim. So Big Red Machine didn't get the first pair  :icon_lol:?

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2012, 02:43 pm »
Thanks Jim, it looks very nice. Finally, the waiting time is almost over. :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2012, 02:55 pm »
They are truly beautiful.  I noticed looking at the specs they are more efficient than the other Soundscape floorstanders

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2012, 03:07 pm »
Very nice!

:?:  So this is what BRM is waiting for. 

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2012, 03:53 pm »
Was wondering if this was the model BRM was waiting on...

This one is going to sell like gangbusters!

kingdeezie

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:00 pm »
Other then low end extension, what else sonically do these give up to the SS10 or SS12?

I have been playing around with the idea of a smaller speaker for my small room. I ruled out the SS10 because the efficiency was too low. I have a pair of Manley Neo Classic 250s that I love, and don't want to change, 84 seemed too low for them.

87 may be manageable. Thoughts on anyone who has heard both?

Gzerro

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:03 pm »
Stunning paint on these.

If I ever get the itch to upgrade my STs (and the $$) this is exactly what I would want. Retaining most of the SS mojo and open back design but in a more traditional speaker cabinet.

I hope to be able to hear a pair of these someday.

Congrats Quan :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:11 pm »
Was wondering if this was the model BRM was waiting on...

Yes, this is the BRM speaker.  His are in process, but the finishing on the veneer he selected takes longer than an automotive finish.  His will be done soon.

This one is going to sell like gangbusters!

I have a feeling you may be right.  Friday night I posted this model on our web site without mentioning it anywhere.  By Saturday morning, we already had an order.

- Jim

funkmonkey

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:26 pm »
Congrats on the new model Jim!  I have no doubt it will be a popular one.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
This pair looks great!

Kinger

« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2012, 04:46 pm »
All I can say is wow.....

fsimms

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:17 pm »
Wow! What a nice model.   :thumb:

If this model was available then I might not have ordered the SS10s.  I like that the SS8 is more efficient.  I do like the looks of my SS10s and their inert top module.  I also like the touch and feel of my SS10s.

Bob

PS Does the deadness of the top module in the SS10 and SS12 make a difference that can be heard?  :scratch:

Austin08

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:22 pm »
The regular shape is one of the reason for me to decide to buy this speaker. Due to WAF, I never had any luck with other fancy odd looking speakers ( Totem Wind, Wilson Max....)
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2012, 04:26 am by Austin08 »

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:26 pm »
I had the pleasure of hearing these exact speakers when I visited Jim's shop yesterday. In short, these will blow your mind!  More to come later.

Congrats to you, Quan, and welcome to the Salk family!

Austin08

« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2012, 05:55 pm »
Thanks all. I could not wait to hear them inmy own little system. I ordered these beauty without audition any Salk speaker. However, I had some listening experience with most (or similar design)drivers that being installed in the SS8. On other hand, there are some excellent Salk threads on the net that have good in depth technical discussion. As the same time, after several calls and emails exhange, Jim gives me a feeling that he is a man that I can trust. So, I pulled the trigger.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2012, 06:19 pm »
I'll join the chorus in saying that this is a great addition to the lineup.  :thumb:

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #18 on: 4 Mar 2012, 06:21 pm »
Austin

Your act of faith will serve you well.

Congratulations on an incredible pair of speakers, having heard their older ss12 and younger ht3 brothers. -you are in for some real audio nirvana

Big Red and Drgn95 - it won't be long now

Jim and Dennis - very impressive design. I like the style of the passive rear mid
range.

Sounds like you have filled yet another niche in your elegant line of speakers.   Bravo

cb450r

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2012, 08:56 pm »
Wow these are just beautiful!