Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

alanford69

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2500 on: 25 Mar 2023, 04:44 pm »
I think it’s not only a matter of interface but an update of the whole system which should leverage on newer technology (more recent version of MPD for example) to become faster and more reliable (on my BR-20 I am having several instability issues). Of course, speaking of the interface, I expect an overall better usability and a modern look & feel. Probably a dedicated app is a mandatory option to bring users an experience in line with competitors LightningDS or BlueOS. Manic Moose was a good choice at the time of BDP-2 and I understand that it still plays the local library pretty well but I cannot wait bunches of seconds any time I want to navigate my Qobuz library and it’s actually a piss off that new (and expensive) systems such as the BR-20 cannot provide a player experience in line with the top audio quality that Bryston offers. My 2 cents…
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2023, 06:16 pm by alanford69 »

Marius

« Reply #2501 on: 1 Apr 2023, 01:11 pm »
While I am not 100 per cent certain, I believe MPD is the engine that makes your music play so you don’t want to ignore it.

Sure, but if you watch closely, that's not what I meant. the popups on hover are incorrect, and show text belonging to the other buttons.....

Still experiencing the same terrible UX on iPhone though, it practically is unusable in its current state, not a single button in the media player loads correctly, I only see those square placeholders.

Did Bryston team abandon this topic btw? there is no response at all?

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #2502 on: 1 Apr 2023, 03:52 pm »
…..
Did Bryston team abandon this topic btw? there is no response at all?

We’ve been promised OS3 to replace MM for some time now. Not getting ANY attention anymore.

J2Ordan

« Reply #2503 on: 2 Apr 2023, 01:35 am »
Well, we all have certainly said our piece on this topic.
Looks like it's just gonna' be a wait and see situation and
"This Summer" is not just another tease.

In the meantime,

Enjoying the Bryston/McIntosh Sounds here in the Hudson Valley.

John

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #2504 on: 2 Apr 2023, 05:01 am »
Still experiencing the same terrible UX on iPhone though, it practically is unusable in its current state, not a single button in the media player loads correctly, I only see those square placeholders.

This sounds really strange and unusual.  I have no weird issue like that specific to the iPhone, but I only use Safari (no third party browsers).

On my laptop browser (Microsoft Edge) I did notice the MM interface fits better using 90% zoom.  With any greater amount of scaling there's too much scrolling.  Maybe that's something to check and try other devices or browsers.

gbaby

« Reply #2505 on: 4 Apr 2023, 12:24 am »
I just read a review on the BDP-3 and the reviewer not only lauded its sonic prowess, but lauded the interface for it not only allowing the music to be transparent, but to work on numerous platforms and its intuitive ease of use. Some us are trying to kill Chris over a toy (interface) that has no sonic value. Do you want to listen to music or do you want to play and stare at an interface after you load your music. I don't get it. :o :?
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2023, 09:32 pm by gbaby »

drummermitchell

« Reply #2506 on: 4 Apr 2023, 12:41 am »
Thats it I believe
Let me scroll my playlist
Let me punch in tracks I want listen to
Make my playlist
As the Doobie Brothers song LISTEN TO THE MUSIC
MM does what I need
Make my set lists HIT PLAY -DONE and all afternoon amid the hot summer sun on my deck with ice cold beer.
Don’t need the album/cd inserts,I’m listening to music that’s it.
Wanna read or look at covers or inserts pull out your LPs,the cover or inserts are wayyyy bigger than your phone or iPad.

gbaby

« Reply #2507 on: 4 Apr 2023, 06:13 pm »
Thats it I believe
Let me scroll my playlist
Let me punch in tracks I want listen to
Make my playlist
As the Doobie Brothers song LISTEN TO THE MUSIC
MM does what I need
Make my set lists HIT PLAY -DONE and all afternoon amid the hot summer sun on my deck with ice cold beer.
Don’t need the album/cd inserts,I’m listening to music that’s it.
Wanna read or look at covers or inserts pull out your LPs,the cover or inserts are wayyyy bigger than your phone or iPad.

Indeed.  8)

alanford69

« Reply #2508 on: 5 Apr 2023, 06:28 am »
Do you want to listen to music or do you want to play and stare at an interface after you load your music. I don't get it. :o :?

I’ll explain: shouldn’t we have both for the price tag?

Rod_S

« Reply #2509 on: 5 Apr 2023, 12:54 pm »
People must understand Bryston exists to make money so the more people that buy their products the more they make and in the long run that's better for everyone as that money can be used for R&D etc. If people are researching the BDP platform and find out it has a more limited/cryptic UI and not more aligned to what's available from the competition a subset of potential buyers are more than likely to go to the competitors so that's money lost for Bryston and a potential new to Bryston customer lost if the BDP was to be a customers 1st Bryston product.

gbaby

« Reply #2510 on: 5 Apr 2023, 03:06 pm »
I’ll explain: shouldn’t we have both for the price tag?

Price tag; are you serious? Had it not been for Bryston's reasonable price tag, I would not be able to afford a digital player. I was able to buy a brand new BDP-2, upgrade the sound card, and upgrade the BDP-2 to the BDP-3. The interface has never been on my mind. I purchased two Miles Davis UHQR Kind of Blue vinyl in both 33 rpm and 45 rpm. They both contain different inserts highlighting photos of the recording session. Not once have I had the curiosity to look at them as I don't care. I only care about the sound and the ease of playing the sound. Maybe I'm too pragmatic. Again, like I said, we are trying to kill Chris. :od As far as Bryston, I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

alanford69

« Reply #2511 on: 5 Apr 2023, 09:47 pm »
Again, like I said, we are trying to kill Chris. :od As far as Bryston, I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

This is off topic … nobody is trying to kill anyone and nobody is pointing fingers at anyone. You have a very personal opinion and I respect it but… don’t take it too personal  :duh:

Here we are discussing a general trend, your mileage may vary but I think that Bryston already realized that a software update is needed since they are working on it and, like it or not, they are going to release it sooner or later.

gbaby

« Reply #2512 on: 5 Apr 2023, 11:44 pm »
This is off topic … nobody is trying to kill anyone and nobody is pointing fingers at anyone. You have a very personal opinion and I respect it but… don’t take it too personal  :duh:

Here we are discussing a general trend, your mileage may vary but I think that Bryston already realized that a software update is needed since they are working on it and, like it or not, they are going to release it sooner or later.

I don't mean it literally. Even Stevie Wonder can see that. When I say "killing him" I mean stress the man out to no end and you know what stress lead to. You want and others want a new OS; I want to keep the ciurrent OS and correct its minor imperfection. With the new OS, you'll get different imperfections. MM is fine with me as its simple to operate and I don't need the ROON looking interface nor am I impressed with it. Its too busy for me.
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2023, 01:33 pm by gbaby »

vonnie123

« Reply #2513 on: 26 Apr 2023, 03:39 am »
It’s been a long wait for the Manic Moose update.  Might just more sense to pay a licensing fee and utilize someones elses working firmware and app.  Both Aurender and Naim have excellent firmware and mobile apps.  Naim also interfaces with Roon.

gbaby

« Reply #2514 on: 26 Apr 2023, 01:14 pm »
It’s been a long wait for the Manic Moose update.  Might just more sense to pay a licensing fee and utilize someones elses working firmware and app.  Both Aurender and Naim have excellent firmware and mobile apps.  Naim also interfaces with Roon.

It makes even better sense to stay the course and keep the price low. I like Manic Moose. Its simple and straight forward. I never look at my computer source once I load my music. Most times I'm watching 4k TV and listening at the same time. I don't need a busy looking interface and the color art on MM along with the black and gray boarders are easy on my eyes.

alanford69

« Reply #2515 on: 26 Apr 2023, 01:49 pm »
@gbaby I Guess we all know your opinion on this topic  :duh: :wink:

Despite that, the idea suggested by @vonnie123 is not a bad one at all if not for the fact that Bryston would have to pay fees to third party providers.

Developing a proprietary software on the other hand has many hidden costs such as, for example, vulnerability management which is never mentioned by audio device vendors. Any device connected to the internet is a potential back door for hackers to enter your home network. Companies (like the one I work for, in a different industry) are struggling to keep all software safe and updated to latest technology to avoid such risks… now I wonder how safe the current MM could be, given the old technology it is using. I hope this may bring some new motivation to update…

An interesting thread:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59675-streamers-and-security/
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2023, 05:30 pm by alanford69 »

gbaby

« Reply #2516 on: 27 Apr 2023, 03:58 pm »
@gbaby I Guess we all know your opinion on this topic  :duh: :wink:

Despite that, the idea suggested by @vonnie123 is not a bad one at all if not for the fact that Bryston would have to pay fees to third party providers.

Developing a proprietary software on the other hand has many hidden costs such as, for example, vulnerability management which is never mentioned by audio device vendors. Any device connected to the internet is a potential back door for hackers to enter your home network. Companies (like the one I work for, in a different industry) are struggling to keep all software safe and updated to latest technology to avoid such risks… now I wonder how safe the current MM could be, given the old technology it is using. I hope this may bring some new motivation to update…

An interesting thread:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59675-streamers-and-security/

Good post. But, I am still trying to figure out what people want from a new OS. Is it an interface or is it information about artists? I don't know. If you could articulate what folks want, I'd love to know. It may be selfish on my part but I want simplicity that I get now. I have lived long enough to know that all change is not good.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #2517 on: 28 Apr 2023, 03:11 pm »
Good post. But, I am still trying to figure out what people want from a new OS. Is it an interface or is it information about artists? I don't know. If you could articulate what folks want, I'd love to know. It may be selfish on my part but I want simplicity that I get now. I have lived long enough to know that all change is not good.

I’d just like everything to work as intended!
A more modern interface wouldn’t hurt, but that’s secondary.

jobiwon

« Reply #2518 on: 28 Apr 2023, 05:06 pm »
Security is a legit concern.  At a minimum what you can do is make sure you are running modern network hardware and run all your IOT devices on a guest type network away from where you are doing any thing with critical personal information and you computers.  I know I have my thermostat on different  network for those type of things.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2023, 06:42 pm by jobiwon »

gbaby

« Reply #2519 on: 29 Apr 2023, 03:57 pm »
I’d just like everything to work as intended!
A more modern interface wouldn’t hurt, but that’s secondary.

I agree with you. Hopefully, Chris will take note.