DHT pre with stratos extreme

rikhav

DHT pre with stratos extreme
« on: 26 Dec 2013, 08:14 am »
Hi
I have a stratos extreme stereo version

I plan to use it with a DHT tube pre which has an typical output impedance of 1250 ohms

Is it a good number to pair with the stratos extreme or it also depends on my speakers

Need some help

Phil A

Re: DHT pre with stratos extreme
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2013, 03:28 pm »
I don't know the exact output of my Odyssey Candela preamp (it says low on the website), but I've used it with an old Bryston 3BST and it sounded wonderful with my old B&W P6 speakers.  Was amazed as the speakers were in my spare basement system and I never heard them sound so good and I did not even have a source to listen to down there other than an Oppo BDP-93 with a USB thumb drive with FLAC files of CD or hi-rez PCM.

SJ David

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2013, 04:04 pm »
Hi
I have a stratos extreme stereo version

I plan to use it with a DHT tube pre which has an typical output impedance of 1250 ohms

Is it a good number to pair with the stratos extreme or it also depends on my speakers

Need some help

I use a Van Alstine tube pre with a similar output impedance connected to the same amp as yours. I have no problems with this setup.

rikhav

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2013, 04:12 pm »
I use a Van Alstine tube pre with a similar output impedance connected to the same amp as yours. I have no problems with this setup.

Thanks Phil and Thanks David

It eases my situation a lot as difference between recommended impedance (250 or less) and impedance of pre I plan to use is 1250 is quiet huge by audio standards so I was confused a lot

The company offers a 30 day trial and I can return the product if I don't like for some reason (very rare in india) but I wanted to be double sure before placing an order

So now part 1 is solved

Next is that there are 2 versions (capacitor coupled output and transformer coupled output)

Some prefer capacitor as it gives more frequency extension and some prefer transformer as the sound is much more natural but only thing is that transformer needs to be of a very good quality and obviously that costs lots of money

If needed I will order a transformer from Intactaudio but if someone has any idea please share your views on capacitor coupled output and transformer coupled output

Its not going to be easy for me to import the transformer