Which of these 4 TTs would you go for?

RonP

Which of these 4 TTs would you go for?
« on: 16 Jan 2020, 02:52 am »

So I'm looking for a bit of advice choosing among the 4 following tables. I'm looking for a "forever" table.

Here are the characteristics I'm going for:
  • belt driven high mass turntable
  • accurate speed
  • well defined sound w/dynamics
  • big 3d sound stage
  • low noise floor
  • excellent musicality
  • detailed but not sterile, musicality comes first
  • as neutral with as little coloration as possible

[table only, unless otherwise noted (Each of these come in around the same price.) ]

1) Gold Note Giglio ( https://goldnoteusa.com/product/giglio/ )
2) Sota Sapphire VI ( https://sotaturntables.com/products/sapphire-vi/ )
3) Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace ( http://nottinghamanaloguestudio.co.uk/turn_tables/ ) + Project Speedbox
4) Clearaudio Performance DC Wood ( https://clearaudio.de/en/products/turntables-performance_dc.php )

So which and why?

Thanks for your time!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Which of these 4 TTs would you go for?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2020, 03:15 am »
Seems expensive units, I would consider a DD Technics SL1200 or similar, less price and reliable.

Twinsfan007

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2020, 09:38 am »
I would personally go with the Sota. Ive only heard go things about them and ive personally wanted to try one. I think it's a table that you could be happy with for years (:

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2020, 11:16 pm »
No experience with any of them but as an owner of three Linn Sondeks, a Dual 701, a VPI HW-19 decked out, a Thorens TD-146, I would go with the Sota or the Nottingham. Why? So you can be part of an analog CULT.

Paul

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2020, 11:37 pm »
If the Hyperspace is an option is it even worth asking? Look at that thing. 25mm MAT?! Good lord.

Audiopro

• Industry Participant
    • DTS Audio Electronics
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2020, 11:47 pm »
Too many variables.
What arm, what cartridge.
A turntable and arm are a mechanical working system.
You are also comparing apples to oranges to some degree. The SOTA is a suspended table that requires correct set up of that suspension to sound right. The others are non-suspended mass loaded tables.
 You also need to consider seviceability, and warranty down the road.
Nottingham has had issues in that regard (at least here in Canada ).
Most importantly can you audition any of these?

solypsa

• Industry Participant
  • Distributor for STST and Sensitive Sound
    • Solypsa
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2020, 02:48 am »
Since I sell turntables etc. I won't comment on the selection. To help gather opinions I might suggest:

1) The first bullet point is more of a design topology than a character. If you prefer that design topology perhaps explain a bit about why. It may not matter 'where you are coming from' for someone to state a preference but since you already established a shortlist your preferences are implied to some extent.

2) I know you are asking about table only, and table performance is obviously a huge part of a successful analog rig. That said the overall budget (or existing arm &/or cart) will play into the equation...may as well talk about I would think.

Anyways isn't it grand that we have so many decent options in vinyl replay!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2020, 04:05 am »
So I'm looking for a bit of advice choosing among the 4 following tables. I'm looking for a "forever" table.

Here are the characteristics I'm going for:
  • belt driven high mass turntable
  • accurate speed
  • well defined sound w/dynamics
  • big 3d sound stage
  • low noise floor
  • excellent musicality
  • detailed but not sterile, musicality comes first
  • as neutral with as little coloration as possible

[table only, unless otherwise noted (Each of these come in around the same price.) ]

1) Gold Note Giglio ( https://goldnoteusa.com/product/giglio/ )
2) Sota Sapphire VI ( https://sotaturntables.com/products/sapphire-vi/ )
3) Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace ( http://nottinghamanaloguestudio.co.uk/turn_tables/ ) + Project Speedbox
4) Clearaudio Performance DC Wood ( https://clearaudio.de/en/products/turntables-performance_dc.php )

So which and why?

Thanks for your time!

Ron, post your question at audioshark.org   It is a forum for high end gear and there are a lot of vinyl guys there that would be happy to help.

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2020, 06:03 am »
The TT is only one part of a vinyl system, and it is the combination of 3 elements that will give you what you want. sure, the TT is the source, so to speak, and without a good one the others aren't quite as valuable. But even with a good TT you won't get what you want unless the phono stage can deliver. And to make that happen the cartridge needs to deliver as well. Then, and only then, does the TT need to be good enough to let the other two do their best.

jsm71

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2020, 03:18 pm »
Seems expensive units, I would consider a DD Technics SL1200 or similar, less price and reliable.

I bought my Technics SL1200G when I retired as my "forever" table.  For me, forever means no fuss, zero maintenance, and it should outlast me.  Your choices suggest your budget is pretty healthy.  I would use the rest of your budget on the best cartridge and phono stage you can afford.  Those two selections will have more to say about the quality of your sound than any table.

RonP

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2020, 06:23 pm »
Thanks all. It's food for thought

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2020, 06:48 pm »
I would add having a person set up the cartridge who is selling the table.. and is GOOD AT IT. ... Matters.
So if you find a dealer who sells the table, installs the cart and offers cart matching service, and has a great reputation!!! that matters MORE thanthe specific one of the four TTs you are thinking about.
Buying the right TT but no setuop service, or poor setup of the wrong cart will leave you really bummed out.
My two cents.  :thumb:

RonP

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2020, 09:50 pm »
will leave you really bummed out.

too late

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2020, 10:23 pm »
TTs cartridges dont came fully setted from factory?
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2020, 06:48 am by FullRangeMan »

toocool4

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2020, 10:29 pm »
Best advice i can give you is, ignore what everyone is saying. Go out and use your own ears to listen to them all. You are the one paying for it, you will be the one that have to live with it. So better choose what you like not what someone else likes.

Good luck with your quest.  :thumb:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2020, 03:35 pm »
TTs cartridges dont came fully setted from factory?
Usually, yes (when the manufacturer sells it as a combo). But they’re not always aligned correctly. The hifi brick and mortar shops I’ve been to have someone check the alignment before it leaves the store. They’ve all said most are correct, but a few aren’t. When they’re off they’re not way off, but they’re not optimal either. Beyond that, it’s just good practice for a seller wanting to make sure whatever’s being sold is the way it’s supposed to be. It doesn’t take too long to check it if they know what they’re doing.

Stuff gets bumped around during packing, shipping, etc. And people aligning them are probably doing a bunch of them at a time, so they could’ve had one or two that weren’t exact.

jtsnead

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2020, 09:14 pm »
Dr Feickert Blackbird, see my monicker

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2020, 11:56 pm »
Usually, yes (when the manufacturer sells it as a combo). But they’re not always aligned correctly. The hifi brick and mortar shops I’ve been to have someone check the alignment before it leaves the store. They’ve all said most are correct, but a few aren’t. When they’re off they’re not way off, but they’re not optimal either. Beyond that, it’s just good practice for a seller wanting to make sure whatever’s being sold is the way it’s supposed to be. It doesn’t take too long to check it if they know what they’re doing.

Stuff gets bumped around during packing, shipping, etc. And people aligning them are probably doing a bunch of them at a time, so they could’ve had one or two that weren’t exact.
Oh well, thanks a lot :thumb: