M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction

sockpit

Re: M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #320 on: 21 Dec 2019, 06:11 pm »
My M5s are will soon be on the truck.

Tell me: do they arrive in one box that is 65-75 pounds?  Or two such boxes, each weighing that.  Am presuming the former.

Thx.

jazzman463

« Reply #321 on: 21 Dec 2019, 06:36 pm »

Two boxes. Each box about 35lbs, moved mine with a hand cart alone.

sockpit

« Reply #322 on: 21 Dec 2019, 06:41 pm »
So it that both boxes (wrapped together) or just one of two in the photo?

I only belabor it because my garage is very small and very full, and I'll need to clear space for pallet and boxes during the trial period!

Jprod

« Reply #323 on: 21 Dec 2019, 10:16 pm »
So it that both boxes (wrapped together) or just one of two in the photo?

I only belabor it because my garage is very small and very full, and I'll need to clear space for pallet and boxes during the trial period!

I can answer.  They are 2 in a pallet. Very well packed and secure.  They are also heavy and today my back can attest to that.  I moved them temporarily into another room because we are having a party tonight and about 9 kids 8 and under are coming. Sprained my back badly

Don_S

« Reply #324 on: 21 Dec 2019, 10:53 pm »
M5 come 2/box. The packing is excellent.

Single M5 speakers are not that heavy but they are awkward to move without damaging a driver or grill cloth. Moving them is a two person job. Moving them to another room is easy using a small wheeled dolly. I have a cheap, plastic one from Harbor Freight and my favorite, a FlatForm hand cart. Just use pads because the feet straddle the dolly. Again, a two person job. One to drive and one to steady the speakers. I have owned speakers much harder to move.  :weights:

Jprod

« Reply #325 on: 22 Dec 2019, 01:29 am »
M5 come 2/box. The packing is excellent.

Single M5 speakers are not that heavy but they are awkward to move without damaging a driver or grill cloth. Moving them is a two person job. Moving them to another room is easy using a small wheeled dolly. I have a cheap, plastic one from Harbor Freight and my favorite, a FlatForm hand cart. Just use pads because the feet straddle the dolly. Again, a two person job. One to drive and one to steady the speakers. I have owned speakers much harder to move.  :weights:

If you are a strapping young one , one person can grab from each side and lift them that way without any damage to the speaker ( your back yes , speaker is fine )

Rosswell105

« Reply #326 on: 22 Dec 2019, 02:17 am »
M5 or M3 comes in 2 boxes. Each box weighs about 70-90lb. If you have a hand cart, it is easy to move one box at a time. This is what I suggest. Cut one end of the box and open the flaps. Place the box on the open end with flaps pull outward. Now the cartoon can slide vertically all the way. Once the box is off, the speakers will be standing on one of the styrofoam blocks. Lace the speaker horizontally on the floor and remove the styrofoam at the bottom of the speakers. For M5, you can attach the footer and stand the speaker upright. This way you don’t have to lift the speaker at all and this can easily done by one person. I have a lower back problem and I was able to set up M5 without stressing my back at all.

JackD

« Reply #327 on: 22 Dec 2019, 03:14 am »
Put the four spikes in a furniture slider each and you can move them anywhere.  I have moved my M3TM's from room to room several times that way.

Jprod

« Reply #328 on: 22 Dec 2019, 03:27 am »
Put the four spikes in a furniture slider each and you can move them anywhere.  I have moved my M3TM's from room to room several times that way.

I will remember that for next time.  Thanks.  I think my issue was that I lifted them and held them away from my body - hence the severe back pain I’m experiencing now.  Should have asked for help but I’m a typical 52 yo guy who still thinks  he’s 25😩

timing3435

« Reply #329 on: 4 Jan 2020, 11:56 am »
Audiosaurusrex / René,

Thinking that others may benefit from your email questions to me, I decided to answer them here, especially since you mentioned it here yesterday.

M3 / M5 Turbo S and Triode Master speakers:

With Spatial's Turbo S and Triode Master speakers, Clayton and I have always run AntiCables Level 3.1 Speaker Wires at every audio show we have done. We are very good at being able to put together a demo room that sounds better than the majority, while being one of the least expensive at the show. A tough act to pull off. With this goal in mind, we don't even consider dropping AntiCables Level 5 or Level 6 Speaker Wires into the system.  But...

When running the M3 Triode Master speakers in my home, I am free to use whatever speaker wires I want, so for quite a while I ran Level 6, just because I could. About a month ago, I decided to experiment with speaker wires, because I was getting the feeling there was not good synergy between the Level 6 and the M3TM. I tried a pair of my AntiCables Level 3.1 Speaker Wires, and liked them better. Cool!

I think the Level 6 Speaker Wires being more resolving didn't work well with the Triode Master's high frequencies signature. I am not pointing fingers at the Triode Master speakers, as all high frequency drivers have a signature (a sound of their own that is not part of the music). The great thing discovered is that the Turbo S and M3 Triode Master speakers actually sound better with the less expensive Level 3.1 Speaker Wires. The politeness of very low dislocation density pure copper wire has good synergy with the older M3 models.

Sapphire Speakers:

At Capital AudioFest 2019 a few weeks ago, Clayton and I again used Level 3.1 Speaker Wires to achieve our goal of great sound for little cost. For anyone buying the new M3 or M5 Sapphire speakers, AntiCables Level 3.1 Speaker Wires are highly recommended.  After all, the Level 3.1 / Sapphire combination (along with LTA, LampizatOr, and Innuos electronics), got recognized as a top sounding room by both Stereophile and AVShowrooms.

Even though the Sapphire speakers do not have bi-wire terminals, they can be bi-wires because of these two facts:

1) The Sapphire tweeter is electrically connected directly to the amplifier output (no internal x-over network)

2) The Sapphire tweeter has 4mm Banana Sockets on the back (as you can see in this photo from "SnowPuppy77")

Because of this, factory leads can be unplugged and an alternate pair of speaker wires can be directly connected. Beautiful!

From what I heard at CAF, the Sapphire tweeter is higher resolving, has less sonic signatures, and is more extended than earlier M3 models. Because of this, I am expecting the Sapphire HF driver will benefit from the higher resolving Level 5 ACElectrum™ Silver/Gold alloy metallurgy.

When I get my pair of M3 Sapphire speakers, I'm going to simply start with a pair of Level 3.1 Speaker Wires so they are the same as at CAF.

After they are well broken-in, and I am very familiar with the sound, I'll unplug the factory wires out of the tweeter and run Level 5 directly to them, from the amplifier, for highest resolution. The back of the tweeters have Banana plugs, so it is super easy to do this. One just has to be sure that the two unused factory banana plugs don't touch anything (insulated with electrical tape or shrink tubing).

To answer you question about what terminations to order to do this bi-wire configuration, I recommend:

- Level 3.1 Speaker Wires with our optional Bananas on both ends (connect to factory speaker terminals)

- Level 5 Speaker Wires with Spades on the Amplifier ends, and optional Bananas on the Speaker Ends (connect to sapphire tweeter)

Both can be seen here: http://anticables.com/speaker-wires/2-channel

Having one set of speaker wire with spades and the other with bananas, makes it easy to connect both to the same amplifier output terminals.

Hope that helps.

Please ask any questions anyone has about cabling the Spatial speakers, and I'll do my best to answer them as best I can.

Thanks!
Paul Speltz(AntiCables)

Hi Paul, Any progress toward this effort? Thanks, 3435

Paul Speltz

• Industry Participant
  • AntiCables
    • anticables.com
« Reply #330 on: 5 Jan 2020, 01:42 am »
timing3435,

No progress yet. I'm still waiting for my pair to arrive.

Clayton knows that I am OK waiting until he gets caught up with all his other orders before taking care of me, so I am being patience.

Thanks!

Paul Speltz (AntiCables)

timing3435

« Reply #331 on: 6 Jan 2020, 01:33 am »
Hi Paul, I started playing with your idea today, it really has helped me get what I want out of the high end. I like hearing the micro-detail without having to exaggerate the treble. I ran cable directly from the amp to the mid/tweeter with various cables on hand  ... for me, a litz braided cable of 99% silver did the number for me. Not saying its for others but this gives me an amazing amount of flexablity to get what I want. The good news- is the mid/tweeter can deliver quite a different sound signature depending on the cable.  When you get your cables figured out let me know. I am willing to experiment.   Thanks, Timing3435

Downtheline

« Reply #332 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:28 pm »
Does anyone have pics of the maple finish M3 or M5 sapphires in the wild?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #333 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:48 pm »
I've got pics of the X3 in the wild, maple finish.

Shakey

Downtheline

« Reply #334 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:57 pm »
I've got pics of the X3 in the wild, maple finish.

Shakey

Shakey, isn't yours the natural finish in a different wood?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #335 on: 24 Feb 2020, 06:13 pm »
Ahhh, maybe so. I just thought they looked like maple to me.

They match my Mapleshade rack anyway....... :wink:

Going back and looking,  you are right. Mine are natural......

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #336 on: 24 Feb 2020, 07:05 pm »
Ahhh, maybe so. I just thought they looked like maple to me.

They match my Mapleshade rack anyway....... :wink:

Going back and looking,  you are right. Mine are natural......

I think you have the UltraLam which would be much different than a maple veneer in terms of grain.

Terence T.

« Reply #337 on: 14 Mar 2020, 09:09 am »
Hi Anyone,

Any M5 Sapphire owners care to post a rear pic of the speakers? And the number of spiked feet of the M5 Sapphire? :hyper:

Terence

sockpit

« Reply #338 on: 14 Mar 2020, 01:43 pm »
Clayton might need to provide.  There has been a redesign since I bought mine.  I suspect there are still two spikes under front baffle, but the crossover is now outboard on the back support leg. There is a photo somewhere of the M3s at Florida show.

Terence T.

« Reply #339 on: 14 Mar 2020, 03:04 pm »
Clayton might need to provide.  There has been a redesign since I bought mine.

Thanks Sockpit. I believe I have to wait for Clayton to elaborate on the M5 Sapphire new designs.

Terence