Zephyr

Woodsea

Zephyr
« on: 5 Jan 2007, 03:20 pm »

From Engadget
Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.) The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon."

Yeah, this is what I have been waiting for and the reason I gave up my Japanese model!!!

rbrb

Re: Zephyr
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2007, 05:04 pm »
Great, I've had mine for less than two weeks and now there's an upgraded unit.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2007, 08:43 pm »
Of course this is still a rumor at this point...and how soon would "soon" be?

I got mine with a replacement warranty from BB. I think it is showing signs of a problem  :green:

Remember too that the XBox 360 manufacturer's warranty has been extended to one full year...

And when you think about this, it would not make the current version obsolete. Do you have an HDMI TV that can do 1080p? If so, you probably also have that VGA port on the TV, that you can connect to from the XBox 360 to do 1080p.

You could probably get the 120GB drive at a reasonable price eventually.

What I would want most would be the cooler 65nm chip. But again, not necessary.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2007, 08:54 pm by jqp »

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2007, 12:54 am »
That is all very true.  I wish I had one right now, but alas I am living out of my suitcase at the Hyatt with my wife and 3 children.  We should be getting into a rental on wednesday.  With the next move in May.  I am not sure when I will get a replacement Box, this Rumourjust makes waiting that much easier, and cooler  :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2007, 04:30 am »
That would be pretty cool for someone like me, but I'd be very pissed if I already owned one! :duh:  You'd have to feel like you just wasted $400.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2007, 12:30 am »
Not really....

I don't have a 1080p TV

I have only 1 DVI port on my TV, and it is being used by my Oppo 971

My Xbox 360 is just not that noisy and I have had no heat issues. I think the noise does not come from the fan but from the DVD-ROM, when it spins? But when I play I have my 5 speakers which pretty much masks any of that sound.

I can do 1080i over component, which looks fantastic.

If I do get a 1080p LCD (it would be the 56") when it comes down from the $5000 price point to closer to $1000, I can still do 1080p via VGA. But by then I may have a PS3 also.

I probably don't need 120GB anyway. What is the real difference between 20 and 120 when HD movies are 5-10GB? I won't be storing movies, or any significant amount of mp3s, on my hard drive. Previews and demos are less than 1GB and I doubt I would keep that many long term. I would use an XBox extender PC for all of that with 1 Terrabyte + of storage.

I would not have waited until ?? to get this rumored XBox 360 version when I am not about to replace my current TV anyway. I waited long enough to get one as it is.

So I would gain very little except the knowledge that my chip is 65nm instead of 95nm.

Now if it would have the $200 HD-DVD built in with everything else for $400, I would buy it today. But I really doubt that will happen this year.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2007, 04:44 am »
Here is the latest pic of "Zephyr"...the HDMI ports are multiplying!

rbrb

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2007, 07:31 pm »
What concerns me is how the digital audio bit-stream will be handled if the unit uses HDMI.  I still want fibre optic or better yet a digital coax connection.  I would also want the connection to me made on the actual unit not from the AV multi out connector like it presently uses. 

Sony at least got that part right with the PS3 hardware.  The HDMI is used to transfer the 1080P video signal to a display while the optical connector sends digital audio independently to a receiver/pre/pro.

Woodsea

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2007, 10:45 pm »
Cut and pasted from a Rumor-
Video Gaming Tidbits: Black 120GB Xbox 360, Sony PSP Firmware 3.11, DICE, and Wii Zelda goes Platinum Technology News, Electronics Buy Guide and Gadget Review This week a rumor appeared that Microsoft is prepping a new Xbox 360 in black with a 120GB HDD and HDMI port.

Some rumor is even going so far as saying that Microsoft is launching the Black Xbox 360 at the same time Sony launches the PS3 in Europe.
The next move for Microsoft has to be to integrate the HD DVD drive into the Xbox 360. Looking at the success Blu-ray apparently has because of the Sony PS3, the HD DVD camp would need to act to not loose out.

rbrb

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2007, 05:10 pm »
http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_games/ncp/english/article.do?platform=games&id=555005  now that the secret is out why don't they ever mention the audio capabilities?  How will audio be handled?  What does someone do if they don't have a HDMI equipped receiver?  Is there a separate SPDIF output?  I have no intention of getting the HD-DVD drive nor will I use a HDMI connection for digital audio.  Am I hooped if I want to use HDMI for 1080P video?

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2007, 05:16 pm »
The HD connector kit provides component video and optical digital. Thats how I do the sound, via my Outlaw 950 pre/pro.

You can also do HD 1080p via VGA I believe, to TVs that have an RGB port.

With HDMI it is intended that you will use your TVs speakers...not likely for an audiophile!

It turns out that this new model comes with an adapter that allows the audio to go out seperately fromthe HDMI cable.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2007, 07:58 pm by jqp »

rbrb

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2007, 10:43 pm »
aaghh!!  I was really hoping they would do audio right with this revision.  The digital out from the multi connector is half assed at best.  I bought the Monster Cable for the 360 thinking it would give me better audio connectivity but it sounded worse than the OEM cable.  The Monster uses a mini jack to Toslink adaptor.  If Microsoft actually has intentions for people to use the 360 to stream audio/video to a high end AV system they need to take a look at the interface.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2007, 03:28 pm »
aaghh!!  I was really hoping they would do audio right with this revision.  The digital out from the multi connector is half assed at best.  I bought the Monster Cable for the 360 thinking it would give me better audio connectivity but it sounded worse than the OEM cable.  The Monster uses a mini jack to Toslink adaptor.  If Microsoft actually has intentions for people to use the 360 to stream audio/video to a high end AV system they need to take a look at the interface.

I hate to be cynical about MS or Apple etc, and high end audio but...look at the iPod and look at the Zune, look at the XBox and look at the Apple TV... :duh:

rbrb

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2007, 09:55 pm »

I hate to be cynical about MS or Apple etc, and high end audio but...look at the iPod and look at the Zune, look at the XBox and look at the Apple TV... :duh:

I hear ya.  What they do sell in convenience.  It's could be so simple. 

Woodsea

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2007, 09:55 pm »
I am now on the fence again regarding the elite.  If I find the reviews state that is is much quieter than I will pony up, but if not I will probably wait for the smaller die.