Logitech Harmony 700 Questions

John151

Logitech Harmony 700 Questions
« on: 4 Oct 2010, 04:58 am »
I purchased a Harmony 700 to replace my 10+ year old model, and the logitech software program is just about worthless   I have read the manual (didn't take long, much info in there), searched the FAQ and forums, but can't get past the following issues:

1)  On selecting the "watch TV" activity, the 700 turns on and configures the proper components, but once it is done setting up the "activity", it leaves the remote set to control the TV and not the Comcast cable box (Motorola DVR).  I can't figure out how to change this.   If I select the DVR as the device to control following the activity selection, I lose the volume pass thru to the pre-amp (see issue 2 below).  My old remote would allow me to write "macros".  Did Logitech nix that functionality? 

2)  I can't define the pre-amp volume to be the default volume outside of selecting an activity (which I don't do because of 1. above).  On my old remote, I would define the pre-amp volume to "punch through" other devices.  The "activity" set up does allow for me to specify the target component for volume control, but I lose that once I choose a device directly. 

Rant:  I really hate the logitech software.  They have dumbed things down to the point that the software is useless.  Also, the software requires a log in to the Logitech website, and also requires that the Logitech website to be up (which it was not last night), and for the user to have an internet connection.  WTF!  This is just a flipping remote control! 

Phil A

Re: Logitech Harmony 700 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2010, 10:29 am »
Surprised to hear that.  I just got a 700 for the secondary basement system and I've owned other remotes and now use another Harmony for the main and bedroom system.  The software walks you through the steps of selecting what will be controlling the volume.  I've never read any of the manuals.  I just define what components I have and then do the activities.  It may mess up on occasion but has the help button which walks you through and resolves the stuff in seconds.  I've owned other brands and the Harmony is the quickest to set-up and easiest to use.

John151

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:50 am »
The software walks you through the steps of selecting what will be controlling the volume.  I just define what components I have and then do the activities.  It may mess up on occasion but has the help button which walks you through and resolves the stuff in seconds.  I've owned other brands and the Harmony is the quickest to set-up and easiest to use.

What devisesare you controlling? When you select "watch TV", what devices are involved, and what device is the remote set to control after it runs the activity macro?

In my case, I need to control the following devices for watching TV:
1) Ceiling mounted projector -  power on/off only
2) Pre-Amp - volume control only
3) DVR - select channels, etc.

After selecting "watch TV", the remote is set to operate the projector, which makes no sense since this device is merely on/off thing.  What ticks me off is I don't see a way to change this behavior.  If I select the DVR device directly, then I lose my volume control to the pre-amp.  I can fix the volume issue by "learning" the pre-amp volume controls to all of my various devices, but I should not have to do this.  IMHO, Logitech has simplified things to the point of making it complicated for anyone who does not have the exact system that they had in mind. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:30 am »
In the basement I have the Harmony 700 controlling a projector with an HDTV Tuner and a receiver.  I merely added the devices for the activity and when I walk through the set-up I follow the instructions to have the receiver control the volume and tell it what input on the receiver and what input on the projector.

I don't know what your components are or what was done during the set-up but the Logitech is the easiest remote to use I've even owned and I've owned lots, including a few Prontos and a couple of other brands.

There is no exact system or components in mind by Logitech.  It is a simple process of having the brand and model to set up each of your devices.  You then set-up an activity and define the devices used which you have already set-up and tell it what inputs are used.  You can even define non-automatic activities not in Logitech's set-up.  For example, if your preamp has a balance control and you want to use that you can go back and assign a button to do that.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:39 am »
For my main and bedroom systems, which are on the same level, I use a Logitech remote with more device capability and a little fancier than the 700.  For each system, I also rename the activities such as Bedroom Blu-Ray or Bedroom SACD as I have a Blu-Ray and universal player in there.  I also rename the activity as Bedroom TV vs. watch TV.

In the main system, I programmed certain buttons that make sense to me.  If I am using an activity where I want the upsampling feature of my Bryston DAC turned on I have it set to use the "+" button which makes sense to may logic.

I would guess you may have not selected the preamp to control the volume in the activity set-up and it is defaulting to the TV.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:42 am »
I would try deleting your watch TV activity and then set-up your watch TV activity again, this time select the second option to setup the activity manually.

John151

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:15 am »
Re-working the "Watch TV" activity seems to have solved my problem with it controlling the wrong device after selecting the activity.  Still not crazy about lack of programming abilities (not a big fan on devices that think for me).

I do like the shape, and the illumination of the keys is the best I have ever seen.   The illumination is huge for me since I use this particular remote mostly in the dark (basement with projector).   However, I wish they would have chosen to illuminate the activity keys at the top of the remote.  For now, I have committed the placement of the keys to memory. 

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2010, 10:34 am »
I do like Pronto remotes as you can define the screen, size and label of buttons, etc.  They do take a lot longer to set-up though.  If I move something between systems or get a new component the Harmony just takes a few minutes