"Direct Drive" of Maraschino Cherry Amplifiers

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: "Direct Drive" of Maraschino Cherry Amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2017, 07:23 pm »
I want to have a shorter signal path by ditching my preamp. I'm not sure how i can realise that.
Rightnow I'm using a streamer that is in connection with my Laptop where my music is on. I'm using my tablet with the app of the streamer to operate it. The streamer's digital out goes to my DAC DAC then to my preamp and to my amps. I have the possibility to adjust the volume with my tablet but it's not doing anything, the preamp only controls volume. I could use the RCA outputs from the streamer straight to my amps and then the volume on my tablet will work. But that means i'm using the DAC inside the streamer and that i can't use my DAC DAC in the chain!

I read some use a mediaplayer like JRiver to control the volume but how does it connect to the DAC DAC??
The setup would be: PC -> Cherry USB -> DAC DAC -> Amps (Maraschino monoblocks, for example)

The PC is running JRiver and is connected to a wifi network.  On your cell phone (also connected to the same wifi network), install JRemote or other remote control "app".  The remote app on your phone can control track and volume from your seat.  You can also use a tablet instead of your phone for the remote.  That gives you a better "view" due to the bigger screen.  Would this work for you?

RCduck7

« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2017, 01:00 am »
Ok, I'm going to install JRiver and the remote app just to see how this goes with my streamer in my setup. But I'm propably going to need the cherry usb...

LarryD56

« Reply #22 on: 8 Dec 2017, 05:00 am »
Just tried direct drive with my Cherry Ultra, straight from the DAC DAC. There's a bit more sharpness to the music......not in a bad way. Songs seem more precise with quicker attack. There also sounds to be more 'air' in the highs.....somewhat more holographic. It's hard to describe. It's not an 'in-your-face' difference, but it is noticeable.

Larry D.