Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

JoshK

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #560 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:32 am »
Then don't listen to any of my recommendations in the last 4-5 pages.  I came to harsher metal from a lot of angles but eventually found a few bands that pulled me in and now I actually prefer it with some styles, but it's like caviar, cigar or scotch.    Opeth, In Flames and Lamb of God were the first to get me into the harsh vocals but then heavy metal has been in my blood in some way since the beginning I think. 

JoshK

« Reply #561 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:34 am »
Just for kicks, give this a listen on headphones in an open minded mood, a beer or two won't hurt.   You have to give it a bit to sink in.   Maybe or maybe not but they were the first of the melodic death metal scene and one of the best.  Its harsh and melodic at the same time and I find it very interesting to listen to.

https://youtu.be/8dFQ5OxV72M

JoshK

JoshK

« Reply #564 on: 15 Mar 2016, 05:59 pm »
Any albums you are highly anticipating in 2016?  Some of mine are:

Gojira (couple months estimated)
Be'lakor (sometime in 2016)
Persefone (been leaking short clips)
Tool (its rumored still as far as I know)
Just got the Omnium Gatherum new one but haven't listened yet (just got it). 

FireGuy

« Reply #565 on: 15 Mar 2016, 06:39 pm »
Tarja Turunen is coming out with a new work this August (The Shadow Self).  This effort they are saying will be heavier and darker than previous CD's.  Her vocal is quite unique and I find most people love it or they are quite indifferent.

JoshK

« Reply #566 on: 15 Mar 2016, 09:22 pm »
Tarja has got a wonderful voice.  It sometimes works extremely well with the music, sometimes it doesn't, or rather just makes the heavier metal stuff sound dumbed down/poppy.    Nightwish was the only heavy metal band that my ex-wife (who only tolerated me listening to metal) would actually put on herself. 

FireGuy

« Reply #567 on: 16 Mar 2016, 12:30 am »
Nightwish's "End of an Era" DVD is on my top five concerts of all time.  It showcases Tarja's incredible vocal range and proves you can integrate this style into metal.  No one has (or does) it better.

JoshK

« Reply #568 on: 19 Mar 2016, 05:40 pm »
I don't think I have that Nightwish one.  I have Showtime Storytime.   I've been collecting a lot of concert blu rays and DVDs.   In my HT with Danley speakers and a big projection screen it is pretty badass to listen to good concerts, especially metal concerts.

Two I recently acquired that are superb in terms of PQ and SQ with awesome performances are two of the Gothenburg original 3,

Dark Tranquility - Where Death Is Most Alive (2009)   
I'm watching it now and it is one of the best concert dvds I own.  Its rated pretty highly on metal storm's top 100 metal dvds list.  I happen to concur. http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/albums_top.php?a_type=4

At the Gates - The Flames Of The End (2010)
Also on the above list...I've been picking a handful of them up.   There is a documentary that is interesting, but the live disc at Wacken is insanely good.   I really want to go to Wacken now.

FireGuy

« Reply #569 on: 20 Mar 2016, 11:29 pm »
 Road tested Dark Tranquility's "Where Death Is Most Alive" this weekend.  Heavy laden melodic death.  Can't disagree whatsoever on Metal Storm''s list.   Excellent recommendation.

+1 on Wacken Fest.  It attracts a scary good collage of metal bands.  Got to be one hell of trip.

PRELUDE

« Reply #570 on: 20 Mar 2016, 11:38 pm »
Road tested Dark Tranquility's "Where Death Is Most Alive" this weekend.  Heavy laden melodic death.  Can't disagree whatsoever on Metal Storm''s list.   Excellent recommendation.

+1 on Wacken Fest.  It attacks a scary good collage of metal bands.  Got to be one hell of trip.

I have been in Wacken 4 times. :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #571 on: 20 Mar 2016, 11:46 pm »
I wish I could get all metal bands to use my power conditioners. The few that have on occasion sound literally twice as sick and they know it when they're playing. It does magic on guitars, having a little PFC and common mode filtration.

FireGuy

« Reply #572 on: 21 Mar 2016, 12:17 am »
Prelude - Wacken stories please.  People,  the event, bands etc.   I think in a few years I'll go.  Backpack, tickets and plane fare.  All I need.

PRELUDE

« Reply #573 on: 21 Mar 2016, 01:47 am »
Prelude - Wacken stories please.  People,  the event, bands etc.   I think in a few years I'll go.  Backpack, tickets and plane fare.  All I need.
The best story,you must be there.
Just watch out for this. :lol: :thumb:

The Wacken is not the only place for metal. The second best one is in Japan called Loud Park which is going very strong for 10 years now.
http://www.loudpark.com/15/english/

And finally, the largest open air festival in all over the Europe is located in Poland called Woodstock and has nothing to do with the one in U.S.
It is not a only metal festival like Wacken or Loud Park but because of the strong support and location, I can say that you can see all the metal bands there. It is huge,usually 700,000 people show up every year.
http://www.en.wosp.org.pl/woodstock_festival/

PRELUDE

PRELUDE

FireGuy

« Reply #576 on: 21 Mar 2016, 02:44 pm »
The best story,you must be there.
Just watch out for this. :lol: :thumb:

The Wacken is not the only place for metal. The second best one is in Japan called Loud Park which is going very strong for 10 years now.
http://www.loudpark.com/15/english/

And finally, the largest open air festival in all over the Europe is located in Poland called Woodstock and has nothing to do with the one in U.S.
It is not a only metal festival like Wacken or Loud Park but because of the strong support and location, I can say that you can see all the metal bands there. It is huge,usually 700,000 people show up every year.
http://www.en.wosp.org.pl/woodstock_festival/

That is awesome in so many respects. 

JoshK

« Reply #577 on: 21 Mar 2016, 09:13 pm »
Yeah, I really want to go to Wacken.  If I had known about it earlier, I might have tried to get there this year...maybe next year. 

I've been meaning to go to Japan for a while now, so I could marry the loud concert with a trip to the orient. 

Melodic Death Metal as well as some more extreme progressive metal were the gateways to some technical death metal.   There are some astounding classics like Death - Symbolic, Atheist - Unquestionable Presence, and Edge of Sanity - Crimson oh and Cynic.   Lately I've come upon some good modern Technical Death Metal bands like Beyond Creation, Gorod, Allegaeon, and Ouroboros which I've mentioned in this thread before. 

JoshK

« Reply #578 on: 21 Mar 2016, 10:38 pm »
Watching The Ophidian Trek by Messugah (blu-ray + 2 cds).  Its a pretty good live concert as well.  There is a few songs so far at Wacken, plus some in an enclosed venue that I am not sure and too lazy to look up at the moment.   I am not a huge 'ssugah fan, but I can get into them for short periods. 

FireGuy

« Reply #579 on: 23 Mar 2016, 11:53 pm »
Let's expose some Katatonia.  Exceptional band from Sweden... works of bleak melancholy and despair.   Cohesive and mature.   Nice find Milford3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_QRS_tyUDg