Sub woofer help

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Sub woofer help
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2010, 12:44 am »
I can't accommodate 2 subs.  I already have an older inexpensive Velodyne CHT-8 for HT use in a separate HT system in the same room.  So 3 subs are not an option for the WAF.  I need a good non ported fast sub to go with the Magnepans,  hence the Martin Logan, Velodyne DD and Rythmik subs.  They are all non ported.

Pesonally, I don't see the point of having 2 subs for my application which is 2ch music with the sub filling in below 40hz, anything above that will be handled by the magnepans.  I'm not a bass freak and I want the sub to blend in seamlessly and disappear.

I do see the point of dual subs in a large room or when they are crossed over at a higher frequency.
having two stereo subs, crossed over at 60-80hz, will blend seamlessly w/your maggies, w/a 24db/octave x-over, and your maggies will sound better as well.  and two subs will be much easier to put into your room w/o having any bad nulls and peaks.  that's the point of going w/dual subs and active x-over for 2-channel stereo.   :wink:

doug s.

Nuance

« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2010, 04:24 pm »
Two (or three, or four) subs is more fun that one, but he said he cannot accommodate it, so...  Maybe he'll one day come to the Dark Side.  :lol:

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2010, 04:41 pm »
At your budget, any of the REL's would be a good choice. You can even find used REL Strata III's for under $600 on www.audiogon.com. Fantastic subs. www.sumikoaudio.net
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2010, 07:43 pm by NagysAudio »

Nuance

« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:04 pm »
The Epik and Rhythmik offers perform better than the REL's, which are overpriced IMO.  They are also less expensive.  YMMV. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:05 pm »
Go with a Rythmik!  I've had four of them...they're awesome!

Now have two.  See my gallery.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:19 pm »
I can't accommodate 2 subs.  I already have an older inexpensive Velodyne CHT-8 for HT use in a separate HT system in the same room.  So 3 subs are not an option for the WAF.  I need a good non ported fast sub to go with the Magnepans,  hence the Martin Logan, Velodyne DD and Rythmik subs.  They are all non ported.

Pesonally, I don't see the point of having 2 subs for my application which is 2ch music with the sub filling in below 40hz, anything above that will be handled by the magnepans.  I'm not a bass freak and I want the sub to blend in seamlessly and disappear.

I do see the point of dual subs in a large room or when they are crossed over at a higher frequency.

Just pick up a sealed sub that is as large as you can accommodate.   For music you just don't need an uber sub especially with your listening taste.   If you have the budget plan for a room measurement/EQ system to go with the sub.   Having the room measurements and the ability to adjust placement and equalization are more important than the brand or type of sub.   The room is the elephant in the room at these frequencies and having a the ability to EQ a little is a very good thing.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:04 pm »
At your budget, any of the REL's would be the best choice. You can even find used REL Strata III's for under $600 on www.audiogon.com. Fantastic subs. www.sumikoaudio.net

:o

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

doug s.

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 13 Feb 2010, 07:58 pm »
^ Yeah...I know.  What a shocker, right?  Apples to apples the Internet Direct subs seem to outperform many of the B&M offerings, and for less money.  I doubt Mr. NagysAudio has ever even compared them, but the ANY of the REL's are the absolute best guys.   :roll: If you don't buy a REL, you might as well go to HE...  Kidding, of course.  :D  Sorry, couldn't resist the rhyme.  :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #28 on: 13 Feb 2010, 08:58 pm »
i actually had a chance to audition one of the rel subs, both in my home and in the system of my (ex) brother-in-law.  i believe it was a strata, but i do not remember.  in any ewent, we both thought it was an extremely poor walue.  he ended up returning it; fortunately the dealer had allowed a home audition...

doug s.

jackfish

« Reply #29 on: 3 Mar 2010, 07:13 pm »
If you want to save money the Elemental Designs A3S-250 is an adequate sub that will work fairly well with Magnepans.  The ED A5s-300 should also be considered.  You can also get their EQ for $85 which will help integration with your room.  You should really consider dumping the Velodyne CHT-8 and getting two matched subs you can use for both HT and music.

If you want the best sub integration with Magnepans then only a sealed sub with low Q and servo controlled is in order.  The Rythmik Audio F12G with the GR Research driver has the ability to stay with the Magnepans in and around the crossover point.  Ideally, appropriate low pass and high pass filters will be implemented.

drphoto

« Reply #30 on: 3 Mar 2010, 07:36 pm »
Couldn't the subs sit behind the Maggies so they wouldn't be too visually obvious? If you have only one, where are you going to put it?

I always hated the sat/single sub setup. I could always hear the thing, despite all the "it's omnidirectional so it doesn't matter stuff" It has nothing to do w/ stereo, it's all about integration w/ the system and room. I'm a convert to the multiple sub concept. I have a pair of Rythmik (GR) OB's and an old Mirage dipole.

To do high pass, you don't even need an expensive active crossover (though great if you can afford one) The inline passives from ACI work nicely, though you'll have to find them used now.