GRS-3 vs Neo 3

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: GRS-3 vs Neo 3
« Reply #40 on: 25 Sep 2020, 06:54 pm »
Rich is currently  doing  some  tests with the GRS Neo 3 and Neo 10 in one of our tested/proven  Super Mini / Monolith baffles.   There is a bit of  size difference in the Neo3's but it sounds like they   do drop in.  The   screw positions are different on 2 of the Neo 10   mounting  screws.

Sure he'll be posting  some results  at  some point

jay

Oh! That's good to know! Im definitely interested to see his results.

I definitely noticed the fitment issues with the GRS-3, esp since it doesn't quite fit I the BG circular plate, and the screw heads are also taller than the rivets on the BG models. Plus having the face better centered on the GRS model means it sits offset to one sid of the waveguide, or needs to be inserted upside down.
I still need to check how it fits within the NX-Studio baffle tho.

I may end up just returning the drivers after my testing, unless someone else decides they wants it. Or if i find an interesting use for them instead. :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #41 on: 25 Sep 2020, 08:00 pm »
Have to wait for a no rain day to take the baffles outside to measure with CLIO Pocket setup.

Here are the GRS-3" and GRS-10" planars mounted in Jay's open baffles for trials.  You can see the top two screws in the 10" planar are not installed as the mounting holes are in different places than the BG NEO10.  No big deal, just have to predrill new ones.  The gaskets can be used for either front of rear mounting which is nice.  The 10" one has extra precut holes for rear mounting.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 25 Sep 2020, 08:12 pm »
Thanks for Sharing, HAL, I'm excited to see your results! :thumb:

They fit in the Super-Mini baffle quite nicely, even if two of the mounting holes are a little off. It's an easy fix at least!

Captainhemo

« Reply #43 on: 25 Sep 2020, 09:17 pm »
If you  guys are  frilling new holes inthe   recess for the GRS drivers,  use the existing holes as a depth gauge and mark your bit.... there is not a  ton of room there before you 'd pop through into the  waveguide onthe frontside.

If these prove to be worthwhile,   I can add the extra  2  scerew holes to future cuts of the  Super Mini,  Super 7, and Super  LS (Line Force) cabinets

jay

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #44 on: 25 Sep 2020, 11:14 pm »
Jay,
Will do. 

Rich

Zitoun

« Reply #45 on: 26 Sep 2020, 08:02 am »
Waiting for the GRS 10 result, very interesting.

Will a super7 configuration (4xGRS10 +1xGRS3) affect the results by the way?

Based on result, can the drop of the  baffle can be addressed by Danny's magic crossover ?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 26 Sep 2020, 06:54 pm »
Okay, I installed Danny's yarn mod to my Neo3 and ran the tests again both in OB & Deep-Cup setups, using same test setup and positioning as last time. (Check the previous pages for GRS & stock Neo3 comparison)

Modded OB:

Modded Cup:

Modded OB:

Modded Cup:

Modded OB THD:

Modded Cup THD:

The yarn mod does a better job than I expected!

Here's a few comparison charts:

Blue: Stock Neo3 OB
Teal: Mod Neo3 OB

Green: Stock Neo3 +cup
Purple: Mod Neo3 + cup

Yellow: GRS3 OB
Teal: Neo3 Mod OB

OB THD:

Blue: Stock Neo3
Teal: Mod Neo3

Cup THD:

Green: Stock Neo3
Purple: Mod Neo3

emailtim

« Reply #47 on: 27 Sep 2020, 10:16 pm »
The string mod appears to have knocked down the distortion peaks. 

Will you be doing the same yarn mod test to the GRS NEO3 clone ?

TIA

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 27 Sep 2020, 11:04 pm »
The string mod appears to have knocked down the distortion peaks. 

Will you be doing the same yarn mod test to the GRS NEO3 clone ?

TIA

No, cuz it already has thick felt strips where the yarn goes..
The GRS-3 is a PDR clone, while Danny's mod only works with standard BG & GR Neo3 models.
I imagine removing the felt would likely destroy the dampening layer in the process, making distortion much worse.

But it is interesting how the felt drops distortion on the high end, but spikes it below 800Hz. And while the cup mod does help reduce those distortion peaks, compared to OB, its also below the range where most Neo3s will be playing, so kind of inconsequential.

Captainhemo

« Reply #49 on: 29 Sep 2020, 06:20 pm »
I bet the  mod  helped the   horizontal off-axis  response as well.

For a refresh... here is the   GR Neo3 with  wool/yarn and  BG Neo 10  in   one of our Super Mini/Monolith  cabinets with  Danny's  2nd order   network

Will be interesting to see what  you  get  with the  GRS drivers  Rich

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 29 Sep 2020, 07:47 pm »
I'll be getting my GRS-10" this afternoon, but I still need to create a baffle for testing it. May just keep it simple with cardboard, but I may also get some mdf & a jigsawand to learn to use my tools a little better on something less important.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 29 Sep 2020, 07:54 pm »
With the way the weather is going, probably will be later this week before making measurements with CLIO Pocket.

At least the latest 2.11 version is now installed and calibrated for use.

studiotech

« Reply #52 on: 29 Sep 2020, 08:10 pm »
GRS drivers arrived today.  Getting a set of Radian as well.  Will do full comparison of original BG, RADIAN and GRS and start new thread once complete. 

Greg

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 29 Sep 2020, 08:25 pm »
With the way the weather is going, probably will be later this week before making measurements with CLIO Pocket.

At least the latest 2.11 version is now installed and calibrated for use.

Wish I could afford a Clio Pocket, but its a little outta my price range, but I have purchased a cable and mic stand for my future tests, so at least its a step in the right direction. :P
(Using a Dayton Audio iMM-6 calibrate mic, intended for phones/tablets but it works pretty well)

But yeah, weather here likely isn't gunna be usable til Thursday at the soonest, but that Will give me tomorrow to figure out how I want to make the test baffle.

GRS drivers arrived today.  Getting a set of Radian as well.  Will do full comparison of original BG, RADIAN and GRS and start new thread once complete. 

Greg

Nice! I'm definitely interested to see your results, esp for the GRS-8 & GRS-Slim8. :thumb:
Tho I'm disappointed to see the slim model still doesn't have the dampening layer like the other models. But I do wonder if using the yarn mod In the front will help since felt strips already exist in the back??

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 29 Sep 2020, 11:13 pm »
Got my GRS-10" driver!
I'm surprised how hefty this is, it's really solidly built.

I do want to say tho, that there is actually the full 56 magnets (28 per side) within the driver, not the 42 listed in the Parts Express page.

Heres some pics I took:

You can see in the 2nd pic that there's a strip of rubber that hanging off, and that seems to be their attempt at covering the edges of the diaphragm that came loose, but considering how well built this is, as a whole, the edges are a nitpick on both of these models.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how it measures tho, cuz thats where it matters, I do wish I had a Neo-10 for a proper side-by-side comparison, but I'm definitely interested in what Danny has in the works with his own model.

emailtim

« Reply #55 on: 30 Sep 2020, 12:57 am »

Greg

Very cool.  Glad to see someone testing the NEO8 clones against the original BGs. 

UPS just delayed mine another day so they should be here on Thursday.

studiotech

« Reply #56 on: 30 Sep 2020, 02:15 am »
Just a word of caution for everyone testing these out.  DO NOT solder to the tabs.  It's very easy to overheat and damage the diaphragm.  Use crimp on terminals on the end of your wires.

Greg

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 30 Sep 2020, 02:22 am »
I'm using these for that reason, I do wish they were copper, but copper is also quite soft.
But for testing it makes the process a whole heck of a lot easier without the risk.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 30 Sep 2020, 04:44 am »
I know it's late, but I connected my GRS 10  to my Sprout 100 just to listen, and, man its effeceint. Definitely lack much bass, but the 1000-10K range sound really fast & clean.. but there's definitely a focus on the upper part of that register with female vocals and cymbals.

I really want to make a baffle for this asap to do some real resting..
Tho i kinda like HALs option of building a pair of Super Mini's with them, tho I'd have to sell them once they're assembled.

tate roth

« Reply #59 on: 30 Sep 2020, 02:33 pm »
These look really interesting, thanks for putting forward the effort to see if these GRS drivers are worth working with!  This is an AWESOME group.