Reference: Recommended Vinyl Accessories

cheap-Jack

Re: Reference: Recommended Vinyl Accessories
« Reply #60 on: 11 Nov 2011, 03:14 pm »
HI.
In addition to the many great suggestions, I'd like to also recommend room air filtration and humidifiers... build me a dust cover that covers my entire turntable, keeping the contaminates away from the platter mat and linear tracking arm tube, etc.

Seperate cleaning brushes for cleaning and rinsing also recommended and I'd also suggest keeping them in a Tupperwear container..

Yes, keeping the listening room from getting too DRY using a humidifier is a must in dry weathers, to keep the dust from flying to the vinyl disc surface while playing as well as keeping the vinyl inside their sleevses dust free.

Always keep the dust cover tightly shut when not in use. BUT, but make sure to take the dust cover AWAY from the turntable while playing! Why? The
vibration of the dust cover caused by the TT rotating will go into the music signals. I tested it with a scope, no kidding!

I've been using Tupperwares for donkey years for holding foods & stuffs. Never use one to hold stylus cleaners. Do we really need it?

c-J

mmmmmm

Old timer

« Reply #61 on: 12 Nov 2011, 12:57 am »
Not trying to start anything, but why not keep your clean record brushes in a sealed container? Away from environmental nasties?

And I'd have to agree 100% with your dust cover comment. I can't imagine anyone using one while playing an LP. 

cheap-Jack

« Reply #62 on: 12 Nov 2011, 05:53 pm »
Hi.
(1) Not trying to start anything, but why not keep your clean record brushes in a sealed container? Away from environmental nasties?

(2) And I'd have to agree 100% with your dust cover comment. I can't imagine anyone using one while playing an LP.
(1) I can't disagree with you. But in my basement audio den, 10ft sub-grade with basement door upstair closed at all time, being temperature constant (19C) & almost dust free, I don't see I need any tight-sealed containers like Cupperwares.
I check up to make sure the stylus is clean each time before any vinyl music session with magnetifier lens, & high-density LED light.

(2) You may be surprised so many many vinyl fans still play their vinyls with TT lid closed to shield off dust while spinning. But they don't see the danger of lid vibration intermodulation.

My vintage Thorens 125II, still kicking around like a teen, came with its stock HINGED lid. I modified it so that I can take it OFF when the TT is spinning.

c-J
"If facts do not fit the theory, change the facts" quoted Albert Einstein.

Doctor Fine

« Reply #63 on: 12 Feb 2012, 01:03 am »
I saved those white hard foam 1X4 styrofoams they packed my amps in, took an extra piano black shelf out of my Salamander collection and "Voila" instant ISO platform for under the old T-table.

My theory was to "de-couple" the table from the stand it was on in my control room, which is behind my listening area.    Footfalls in the control room are now gone.

I like that the rig is stable and does not wobble and it even looks pretty darn slick as the styrofoams are tucked back away from the lip an inch or so and the platform is "floating."  Sexy!

I am running four subwoofers and can play my system out in the main room loud enough to create true full-on concert levels...and NO table feedback.  Before it was actually coming up through the floor, through the walls and coming into the next room where the racks are.  So it apparently works.

I also bought the somewhat pricey VPI record cleaning machine.  It really does make a difference cleaning all the pot smoke and cigarette ashes off my Beatles collection from the 60s.

zerodecibels

« Reply #64 on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:36 pm »
For someone just starting in vinyl, what is the MINIMUM needed "tool kit" for record and gear care? The choices of various kits and brands are numerous and confusing. As far as I can tell, it's
1. Stylus cleaner
2. Carbon fiber brush

Anything else completely necessary to start?

Thanks. I am new here, know next to nothing about vinyl, but am getting a turntable in the coming weeks. Let me apologize ahead of time if this is a complete no-brainer of a question. The last vinyl I listened to was on a 70's suitcase style table on the floor of my room when I was a kid. I inherited 3-400 LPs that basically haven't been played, I don't think. So why not put an analog front on my system? Excitement since I started putting this thing together is now starting to give way to great fear.

voltz

« Reply #65 on: 28 Nov 2014, 06:34 pm »
Also I think even brand new LP's need to be cleaned before playing, if you check AudioAdivsor = MusicDirect = Needledoctor and look at their vinyl cleaning stuff you will see several record cleaning methods & machines. I use a VPI 16.5 but its over $600, but there is other options like Record Doctor or Spin clean.

Wayner

« Reply #66 on: 28 Nov 2014, 08:17 pm »
I use my shop-vac.....

Charles Xavier

« Reply #67 on: 28 Nov 2014, 08:37 pm »
I use my shop-vac.....

Me too, and a Vinyl Vac

loving_it

« Reply #68 on: 30 Nov 2014, 10:05 pm »
I have had a local granite company make me a base for my turntable for about 100 bucks. I have put Audio Technica footers under the granite and then the turntable on top. Granite stops noise like nothing else can. Vibrations can be felt on the stand and they die on the granite!

I also like:

Shure SFG-2 stylus force guage
Discwasher D4 record brush (I found a new one in a lady's attic!)
Milty Zero-stat gun.
I also wet brush the record before I play a side with the D4 brush and a spray of home made solution 3/4 distilled water and 1/4 99% isopropyl Alcohol in a small mist spray bottle.
granite works better than wood ?
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2014, 02:26 am by loving_it »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #69 on: 18 May 2015, 03:05 am »
I like vinyl hardware, it so retro and obsolete its become vintage.
This clamp call my attention, very refined and inexpensive:
http://www.mafaudio.com/products/amplifiersspeaker-parts/turntable-stabilizer/crystal-stabilizer-for-lp-turntable-disc-vinyl-recordgood-quality-gdlp003-986.html

bacobits1

« Reply #70 on: 18 May 2015, 05:08 am »
Now....that's really cool!

darth

« Reply #71 on: 21 Jul 2015, 10:59 am »
If you have more than one cartridge/table you will find these very useful. I keep a couple in use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251797333056?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

bentconvert

« Reply #74 on: 5 Aug 2015, 03:07 pm »
"Interesting. How would you mount this to the table? I couldn't find much information about it on that site."

http://www.thequp.com/instructions.html

GentleBender

« Reply #75 on: 5 Aug 2015, 03:11 pm »
Thanks bentconvert! Exactly what I needed. Have you used one?

roscoeiii

« Reply #76 on: 5 Aug 2015, 04:26 pm »
Another lift option:

http://www.expressimoaudio.com/lift.html

I'm going to try this one eventually. Unfortunately, the Q-up didn't work with my Townshend Rock 7 due to its "Naked" design (no plinth to speak of). Maybe I can rig something that works with the Expressimo.

btimm

« Reply #77 on: 25 Aug 2015, 01:40 am »
For those who appreciate a well organized vinyl record library/collection: http://www.etsy.com/shop/oatfoundry

I have one set of Laser Cut Alphabetical Record Dividers on order. Purchased one set of Laser Cut Alphabetical CD/DVD Dividers earlier this month.

All their products are cut from 1/4" thick baltic birch. Highly recommend.

GentleBender

« Reply #78 on: 16 Nov 2015, 08:40 pm »
Another lift option:

http://www.expressimoaudio.com/lift.html

I'm going to try this one eventually. Unfortunately, the Q-up didn't work with my Townshend Rock 7 due to its "Naked" design (no plinth to speak of). Maybe I can rig something that works with the Expressimo.
Has anyone tried one of the Expressimoaudio lifts? I am leaning toward the Levitator due to the seemingly smoother operation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQYPlFSNYs, but wouldn't mind feedback regarding the others.

bacobits1

« Reply #79 on: 16 Nov 2015, 08:48 pm »
Hey, that's great looks like the AT raiser which works very well.
What is the cost on it? Those AT's can go as high as $150- $200