Experimental oak finish

jsalk

Experimental oak finish
« on: 10 May 2013, 08:12 pm »
Every once and a while, we make a mistake.  In this case, we built a pair of SongTowers in red oak with a cathedral grain pattern.  But when we rounded over the cabinet edges, we realized that it was supposed to have oak hardwood trim.  So we simply built new cabinets and these sat around for a while.

One day, we were wondering what to do with them and thought we try an experiment.  We dyed the speakers completely black.  We then sanded off the surface, which left black in the grain.  After numerous sealer sessions, we shot final topcoat with rose/red dye added.

We think it turned out real nice.  Judge for yourself...

Here's a close-up...

We liked this so much, we will probably experiment with more speakers using this technique.  Oak is a standard veneer and this technique makes it look like a premium veneer with dark black grain.

These will be posted on the Available For Sale section.

- Jim

glangford

Re: Experimental oak finish
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2013, 10:19 am »
I think they look awesome.  A very interesting concept.

iamjaymo

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2013, 12:43 pm »
I don't think I can hold out much longer...I have not seen a Salk speaker that I didn't think was absolutely beautiful.  I am Ascend Acoustic Sierra Tower owner but I am thinking about making a switch to some Salk's.  Wonder what model would be an upgrade? Hmmm....

Bigfishhk

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2013, 12:43 pm »
Stunning actually.

JonnyFive

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2013, 08:46 pm »
Very cool, Jim! 

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2013, 02:09 pm »
I don't think I can hold out much longer...I have not seen a Salk speaker that I didn't think was absolutely beautiful.  I am Ascend Acoustic Sierra Tower owner but I am thinking about making a switch to some Salk's.  Wonder what model would be an upgrade? Hmmm....
Supercharged SongTowers would be pretty sweet IMO.:)

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2013, 02:34 pm »
It would be interesting to see the colors reversed, i.e. black speakers with red grain.  :D

Very nice work, Jim!

JonnyFive

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2013, 03:17 pm »
It would be interesting to see the colors reversed, i.e. black speakers with red grain.  :D

I'm not sure this can be done, at least not with this method.  Jim and I have been considering finishes for my SS8s.  Experimenting with reds and blacks, Jim did a red paint, sanded down, with a grey smokey silver over the top. The net effect is that the reds get muted by the topcoat and come out an amber brown color.  So I think you need your darker color underneath and your brighter color on top.  That sound right, Jim? 

I bet black with yellow over the top would be interesting as well?

Jon

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2013, 04:16 pm »
I'm not sure this can be done, at least not with this method.  Jim and I have been considering finishes for my SS8s.  Experimenting with reds and blacks, Jim did a red paint, sanded down, with a grey smokey silver over the top. The net effect is that the reds get muted by the topcoat and come out an amber brown color.  So I think you need your darker color underneath and your brighter color on top.  That sound right, Jim? 

I bet black with yellow over the top would be interesting as well?

Jon

That's correct. 

When we have a little time (which isn't often), we will probably do some test samples with all kinds of different color combinations.  I'll post pics when we do.

- Jim

JonnyFive

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2013, 04:34 pm »
That's correct. 

When we have a little time (which isn't often), we will probably do some test samples with all kinds of different color combinations.  I'll post pics when we do.

- Jim

That'll be great to see, Jim!  Thanks!

svadas

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2013, 02:05 am »
As the new owner, I think the picture should be taken down.  They look 100 times better than the photo displays.  I can't really pick anything to compare it to though.  I consider myself very lucky to own these.

dflee

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2013, 02:16 am »
Do they sound as good as they look. I am officially jealous!

svadas

« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2013, 04:49 pm »
They sound "honest."

kenJay

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2013, 05:39 pm »
Hi All, I recently purchased a pair of Salk Songtowers QWT in black oak based on reviews. I never had the opportunity to audition prior to purchase so for me it was a bit of a risk.
 In one word WOW ! What an upgrade from my Paradigm studio 20's. The soundstage is huge, clarity is excellent, mid-range is simply the best, and bass is surprisingly deep and accurate. They are as described by many in this forum and others.
I am using them in my bedroom as a 2 channel system for music but I may replace my Nola contenders ($3600msrp) that are currently in my home theater/main listening room. Compare to the nola contenders the soundstage is much larger (more sweet spots) but The Nola's are a bit more detailed. Overall I prefer the songtowers (an I love the Nola's).

Real purpose is writing this note is to thank Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy for staying the course, following their passions and giving an average income guy true taste of 'affordable" audiophile quality. 
I do not participate in forums (although I use them to research) but felt compelled to write this note of gratitude to Dennis and Jim.
At 52 years young, I am truly enjoying music for the first time thanks to their efforts.
Oh and the sample CD is Excellent !

Thanks again for following your dream and in turn giving others to do the same.
Much Peace.
KenJay

duffmanoohyeah

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2013, 04:05 pm »
Ummmm yeeeeaah -  :notworthy:

Dave Littel

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2013, 09:55 pm »
Jim that's a very interesting technique with beautiful results. Curious: do you think the same technique would work on the end grain as well, if it was a 3/4 inch roundover, or would the blackened grain overwhelm the red?

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2013, 03:06 pm »
Jim that's a very interesting technique with beautiful results. Curious: do you think the same technique would work on the end grain as well, if it was a 3/4 inch roundover, or would the blackened grain overwhelm the red?

Dave -

If we did hardwood trim, we would use mitered corners, so there would be no end grain showing.  (You are correct, if we did have end grain showing, it would likely be totally black.)

- Jim