ClearAudio Virtuoso Replacement Styli options

Tonyeezy

• Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will.
ClearAudio Virtuoso Replacement Styli options
« on: 4 Mar 2021, 08:45 pm »
Hello all, new here. Have done some lurking (copious amounts, if I am honest) around this topic, but I figured I'd bite and make my own post regarding the matter. If this is beating a horse that is long dead, forgive me :oops:

I currently have got a Marantz TT-15s1 turntable which comes fitted with the Clearaudio virtuoso wood cart. Sadly, I have bent the cantilever on it and naturally I experienced some adverse effects as it relates to the sound of my records. I know from some excellent posts on this site, among others, that the entire line of Audio Technica AT95e styli are viable replacements. So I am wondering if there was any sort of consensus on the part of the more knowledgeable folks here, if that is at all possible in this world, as to which models among that line are going to tend to preform best.

I know in this realm there is no best, per se, but I guess I am intending to ask which option in the currently available Audio Technica line is going to give me the best bang for buck with my current setup. If I understand the topic correctly, the stock stylus on my cartridge is nothing to write home about, so any replacement will match or surpass the quality of the stock one. For that reason, I am currently looking at the AT-VMN95ML under the (potentially false) assumption that it should be a nice upgrade from the stock, but I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Tony

toocool4

Re: ClearAudio Virtuoso Replacement Styli options
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2021, 09:04 pm »
I don’t think the cartridges you are looking at will be as good as your damaged one, why don’t you just exchange your damaged one for a new one? You will get money off for the trade-in.

Tonyeezy

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2021, 11:21 pm »
I don’t think the cartridges you are looking at will be as good as your damaged one, why don’t you just exchange your damaged one for a new one? You will get money off for the trade-in.
Sorry about any misunderstandings. I wasn't referring to swapping the whole cartridge, I was just referring to replacing the stylus from the damaged one with a new Audio Technica one, here's a thread on this forum around that operation https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88878.0

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:09 am »
after I watched this video....my jaw dropped.  While rebadging equipment is not unheard off...but common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2s69fpphVU

But it may require more surgery for your Clearaudio to become usable again. 

PS:  After learning about this, I am one of those who like to invest $ in cartridges made by the company and not some far east made rebadge. 

ric

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:36 pm »
I have the Maestro Wood, I don't think it's the Virtuoso, but I had damaged it and had the needle replaced. I opted for the higher quality boron cantilever and the good part was I had it back within a week! Send me a PM if you want the name of the guy who replaced it, and I can look it up. Good luck!

Tonyeezy

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2021, 06:18 pm »

I thought I'd update this thread after having proceeded with this mission. I was able to successfully use the AT-VMN95ML as a replacement stylus for my Clearaudio Virtuoso wood.

Getting the bent stock stylus off of the cartridge was extremely easy, and using the exacto knife I was able to carefully cut out the replacement in about 25 minutes or so. Admittedly, the cutting was not the cleanest, but I don't particularly care, the turntable sounds excellent—better than stock dare I say. I want to say I'm hearing more space and detail in my recordings, but there could be a bit of confirmation bias working to that end. What I am very sure of, though, is that this new stylus is a lot more quiet with regard to surface noise; so even if it does equal the stock stylus in every other area, I think it enhances my listening experience with this alone.  :thumb:

ric

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2021, 01:44 pm »
Brave lad! :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2021, 11:27 pm »
Hi,

That is a nice sounding cartridge. I have the audio technica version and I thought it sounded better than ortofon 2m bronze that I use in another turntable. Happy listening.

Cheers Rod

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2021, 01:32 am »
Fortune rewards the bold.  Congrats man. 

silverr1

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2021, 08:48 pm »
I did the same repair and found the same results as you. The replacement needle was better than the original one!!!

Ears Deluxe

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2021, 05:49 pm »
Hello all, new here. Have done some lurking (copious amounts, if I am honest) around this topic, but I figured I'd bite and make my own post regarding the matter. If this is beating a horse that is long dead, forgive me :oops:

I currently have got a Marantz TT-15s1 turntable which comes fitted with the Clearaudio virtuoso wood cart. Sadly, I have bent the cantilever on it and naturally I experienced some adverse effects as it relates to the sound of my records. I know from some excellent posts on this site, among others, that the entire line of Audio Technica AT95e styli are viable replacements. So I am wondering if there was any sort of consensus on the part of the more knowledgeable folks here, if that is at all possible in this world, as to which models among that line are going to tend to preform best.

I know in this realm there is no best, per se, but I guess I am intending to ask which option in the currently available Audio Technica line is going to give me the best bang for buck with my current setup. If I understand the topic correctly, the stock stylus on my cartridge is nothing to write home about, so any replacement will match or surpass the quality of the stock one. For that reason, I am currently looking at the AT-VMN95ML under the (potentially false) assumption that it should be a nice upgrade from the stock, but I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Tony

I had the same problem with my Virtuoso and I had Steve Leung (vasnyinc.com) replace the cantilever and stylus. He did a fantastic job, and it only cost $200. He's easy to work with and very, very good.