Question about Blu Tak

Jonathan

Question about Blu Tak
« on: 8 Oct 2003, 02:21 pm »
Hi guys,

The stands on which my DeCapos are sitting are not marked with anything to identify them, other than a little red Canadian maple leaf.  They look like Osiris  (two vertical hollow tubes with a base on the bottom and plate on top), but the spikes on mine look different from the pictures of the Osirises I've seen, so I'm not sure if they're the same or not.

Anyway, mounted on each corner of the top plate is a small circular rubber 'nub' that the speakers sit on. This makes for a very solid connection between the speaker and the stand, but I'm wondering if a dab of blu tak will improve the coupling to any significant degree.  Also, when I take it off, will the blu tak leave any kind of residue on the finish of the speaker?  Thanks.

P.S. I'm getting ready to buy the tweeter/cap upgrade to my speakers--more on that as more develops...

Thanks,

Jon

cyounkman

blu tak, answer to every problem...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2003, 03:02 pm »
Hey there. My current speaker stands also had foamy/rubbery bits at the corners, probably to prevent the steel top plate from scratching the speaker. I was never quite comfortable with this, so I added blu tak just to keep things secure. Eventually I just removed the nubs entirely, and used blu tak alone, which I found to give a very solid connection. I think this happened before I even filled my stands with sand, so any sonic improvements were probably moot.

As far as marks, I've never seen blu tak leave a mark on anything; I wouldn't try it on anything porous (like unfinished or lightly-finished wood), but it's fine with my (old) DCs and I would guess the same for the i's.

Anyway, MC reported elsewhere good results with BDR cones, points up, between speaker and stand.

brucegel

Re: blu tak, answer to every problem...
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2003, 06:27 pm »
Blue tack for President!But seriously I have no complaints about it,non marring, solid coupling and easy to get on /off.I experimented with placement and it seems to me that an X pattern would couple best.For example 4 blobs at the corners one in the middle and two blobs cross ways twice for a total of nine blobs.

mcrespo71

Question about Blu Tak
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2003, 04:15 am »
Anyway, MC reported elsewhere good results with BDR cones, points up, between speaker and stand.

Yes, this works good in my system, though blu tack is still used to keep the BDR's from moving around.  However, I use three BDR cones pointed up in a triangle, which does not make the speakers very stable on the stand and should NOT be used if you have kids around that could push against the stand!  Ugh, it makes me cringe thinking of the MM De Capo I's falling perilously to the floor.  Blu tack makes more sense for those of you with kids, though I've got to say in my system it is audibly worse than BDR's, which is why I risk keeping the MM De Capo I's in such a tenuous position on top the stand.  

MC