what are the audio publications currently reviewing CIA..

ludavico

« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2006, 07:25 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
  I am very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of D-200's...

Me too,  me too...

...but I really like extra resolution, or whatever the hell it is, that makes a playback system sound real.

Guess I'll just have to swing by for a visit to CIAudio next time I am out that way...

miklorsmith

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2006, 07:53 pm »
For what it's worth, I do not think the NuForces offer "extra" resolution over other options.  From the two weeks that I had them in my system, I thought they offered a Technicolor presentation, as if you turned the colors on your TV higher than natural.  Faces become pink, all the yellows become canary, and the horzon is supernaturally sharp.

Sonically, this translates to an annoyingly unnatural presentation.  Everything was edgier than it should be and I noticed all the little cymbal strikes and string plucks, to the detriment of the cohesive musical message.  Instrumental tone was difficult to assess, as transients hid what might have lay underneath.  It sounded very much like the speaker demo at the hi-fi shop that grabs your attention but is ultimately overblown in the long run.

When I read user reviews of equipment, I pay less attention to what points are made directly than how they are supported and secondary observations.  I believe this method gets more to the point of what the listener was actually experiencing.

When you read listener-impressions of the NuForce amps, you will find a good number that support my impressions, though I admit we are in the minority.  Of those touting the virtues of NuForce, look a little closer at the particular strengths they cite.  What I have noticed and what you will too on second inspection is that the razor-sharp focus and explosive visuals have strongly influenced these opinions.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with these opinions.  What I am saying is that these amplifiers (in my system and w/o power conditioning or expensive power cords) sound more than natural and that their perceived "extra" resolution is a byproduct of their topology, not some magic Windex applied to the window of resolution.

When I read reviews of the Channel Islands amps, the comments are not directed at their overachieving detail retrieval nor extraction of bug farts.  Rather I hear the end-users telling of their beautiful and utter immersion in the whole.  Yet, there are no comments on rolled-off extremes, softening of transients, or sharpness when needed.  I have found this type of presentation far superior to the other in the long run.

My guess is that this generation of NuForce amps will ultimately be regarded as an important stepping stone toward some future plateau, and the Channel Islands amps a mature product for the long haul.

And I've never even heard 'em.  How's THAT for presumption?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2006, 08:05 pm »
ted-b:
 The D-200's have a better treble presantation. It's so good that often it makes you pause and play it again just so you can hear that treble.

Bass was a tossup. The 9's seemed to have a slightly better midrange and the D-200's were much better in the treble.

Geeezzzeee!!! It's been months since I compared them. I can't remember what I was doing the other day let alone remember how amps sounded months ago.

Cheers
                                                Charlie

gme109

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2006, 04:23 am »
Quote from: miklorsmith
Sonically, this translates to an annoyingly unnatural presentation. Everything was edgier than it should be and I noticed all the little cymbal strikes and string plucks, to the detriment of the cohesive musical message. Instrumental tone was difficult to assess, as transients hid what might have lay underneath. It sounded very much like the speaker demo at the hi-fi shop that grabs your attention but is ultimately overblown in the long run.

That somewhat describes the difference between my Spectron Musician II and the D200's. The Spectron placed more emphasis on the leading edge of the music, and the body of the music or tone, lacked the vibrancy and richness of the D200's. Another point worth mentioning is how detailed the D200's are, even compared to the Spectron, which was the King of detail until now. Here is the Big difference though, the detail that the D200's are capable of, never draws  unnecessary attention to itself, it's just a coherent part of the music. And that's one of the things I really love about these amps, their cohesiveness.  Detail is never thrown at you or presented as a separate entity from the music. Tonally the D200's are very coherent as well, never favoring any one part of frequency range. The Spectron seemed to have its tonal center of gavity anchored closer to the bottom end, giving the music a weightier and heftier feel to it. I must admit, that at first I felt the D200's were somewhat lacking in authority when compared to the Spectron. However after living with the D200's for awhile now, I find their presentation much more balanced and coherent, which ultimately serves the music much better.

Getting back to the Nuforce amps. I've never heard the Nuforce amps, so I can't compare the two. But I will say this, even if the Nuforce seemed to be more detailed, or had any one particular area that stood out as being better, it would not win points with me, if it gave up one once of the naturalness or cohesiveness that the D200's posses.

Nick B

« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2006, 06:29 am »
Quote from: CIAudio
I was thinking: if not for the ML pre-power review, they should have put the D-200 on the cover!

D-200's look nice, but probably not enough of an eye catcher when sitting on the news stand. We're working on some new stuff that may be worthy though  :wink:

Like what?  Can you elaborate?

CIAudio

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2006, 02:36 pm »
Like what? Can you elaborate?

We're working on a few new products in larger all aluminum chassis (primarily the new remote controlled preamp). No other details at this time.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #26 on: 4 Apr 2006, 05:10 am »
Could you provide any info on your new remote controlled preamp you mentioned?  I didn't see it on your website.  Thanks for your help.

CIAudio

« Reply #27 on: 4 Apr 2006, 05:35 am »
Could you provide any info on your new remote controlled preamp you mentioned? I didn't see it on your website. Thanks for your help.

We won't be providing any information until closer to release this summer.
Our plan is to have a pre-production prototype in use at the June HE2006 (Stereophile Show) in Los Angeles, with production models available soon after.

ShinOBIWAN

« Reply #28 on: 5 May 2006, 08:42 am »
Bel Canto's new eOne ref 1000 looks like a strong contender for the best of class D out there at the minute.

I know its a long shot but has anyone compared the D200 to one of these.