Norh subwoofer

xsb7244

Norh subwoofer
« on: 31 Jan 2012, 06:59 pm »
How does the Norh compare to other subwoofers?  Anybody have one?

Marbles

Re: Norh subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2012, 07:56 pm »
I have two of the wood ones.  They are pretty weak.  I won't buy one with the current amp driver.

What I would do is buy the marble cabinet from norh and get it drilled for a Rhythmik servo sub/amp.

Or I would just buy a Rhythmik sub... 

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:58 am »
Yeah those wood subs were early attempts, marble would be better, probably not available anymore.

Those days are long gone I am afraid.

tkp

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2012, 02:55 pm »
Like Marbles, I was one of the few nOrh first customers and got a pair of the subwoofers.  I liked the cabinet but there is only so much an 8" woofer can do in a ported box with 100W amp.  While it is true that an 8" woofer can do down to 26 hz - 3db, the SPL is not going to be that great because of physical limitation.

I am still a die hard nOrh fan for their marble speakers and is still own a pair of nOrh 9.0.  The marble speakers from nOrh are truly work of art.  I just got a pair of 10" subwoofer kit from Part-Express to complement the nOrh 9.0 and so far they are much better than the nOrh subwoofer for music.  The subwoofer kit is very easy to put together (take about 1 hour).

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-760

The part express subwoofer is sealed which is better for music and there are not that many music CD that can go down beyond 30 hz so a pair of 10" to complement something like a 5" woofer would be a good match. 
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2012, 02:27 pm by tkp »

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:22 am »
Yes as we discussed many years ago, weak is a relative term  :lol: 26Hz is 26Hz but most do want more SPL to take their low bass CDs for a spin. I know I do - I now match my Marble 9.0s with hybrid VMPS larger subs - 12" Megawoofer >> 8" Vifa

But for casual listening while working in the computer, these old nOrh subwoofers might do for some...