More Love for Triode from Part Time Audiophile

dpatters

More Love for Triode from Part Time Audiophile
« on: 18 Nov 2015, 02:25 pm »
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/11/18/rmaf-2015-volti-tortuga-border-patrol-and-triode-wire-labs-bring-the-music-jah-ire/

Congrats again Pete!  Can't wait for the rest of my Digital Americans to arrive!!

Don P.

Triode Pete

Re: More Love for Triode from Part Time Audiophile
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2015, 06:58 pm »
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/11/18/rmaf-2015-volti-tortuga-border-patrol-and-triode-wire-labs-bring-the-music-jah-ire/

Congrats again Pete!  Can't wait for the rest of my Digital Americans to arrive!!

Don P.

RMAF 2015: VOLTI, TORTUGA, BORDER PATROL AND TRIODE WIRE LABS BRING THE MUSIC, JAH…IRE

"Bob Marley is good right? And King Tubby… God I love that early Dancehall/Dub/Reggae vibe, those sound system battles in Kingston back in the day that spread to the States in the late ’70s and helped inspire rap and hip hop like we know it today. Those music pioneers loved their bass bins and wall-of-sound presentation, and really, what’s not to love about it? That was the vibe I got when I walked into the Tortuga Audio, Volti Audio, Triode Wire Labs and Border Patrol room at RMAF.

There was a lot ‘o gear in this room mon, so here’s the spec sheet for the teetotalers:

Tortuga LDR3.V2 passive preamplifier $1,195 USD
Border Patrol S10 EXD amplifier $16,750 USD
Border Patrol  DAC DAC $995 USD, Tubed PSU $595 USD
Volti Audio Alura loudspeakers $15, 900 USD
Triode Wire Labs AC Mains (High Power Digital Americans), interconnects (Spirit) and speaker cables (American Speaker Cables), about $3,000 USD all in.

The guts, wired up with Triode Wire Labs

Border Patrol S10 EXD 300B, 9 wpc SET amplifier with twin external power supply units (PSUs)

USB DAC and external, tubed PSU

USB DAC with Philips TDA1543 chip (alá Audio Note of recent memory) no oversampling, no digital filtering and no output buffer.

Border Patrol S10 EXD external PSUs

he sound was really rich and full and didn’t smack my ears of traditional digital, and in no small way reminded me of the sound from the Audio Note CD 2.1x II I have in my system at home for review, the difference being the 300B bottom-end goodness that the Volti Aluras were pumping out from the obviously deep-power reserves of the Border Patrol S10 EXD power amplifier. Big dose of effortless. These three-way hybrid-horn/bass reflex speakers weren’t as cohesive as I’d wished to have heard them sound, nor did they go as deep as I’d hoped, but they did a hell of job of directly plugging me into the music and emotionally engaging me. And with digital, IME, that’s no small feat.

Pump up the volume. Not as deep in the bass as I’d like, but a beautifully-built speaker that was able to communicate the heart of recordings
[Editor’s interjection: about the Tortuga passive — that thing uses “light dependent resistors”, aka LDR, to do the volume attenuation (and the input switching, interestingly). Why LDR? According to The Lore, they’re more transparent than traditional “pots” and stepped-resistor arrays. The newest tech uses microprocessors to control/monitor the LDRs, they auto-calibrate to compensate for drift, they’re update-able (via USB), and best of all, they’re fully modular (i.e., replaceable). Available balanced or single ended. An additional $600 will upgrade the chassis to the LDRx version, which carries quite a bit more bling-for-the-box.]

Volti Audio, Border Patrol, Tortuga Audio and Triode Wire Labs put together a beautiful-looking system that is capable of transporting the listener to a higher plane of sonic enlightenment, and that’s exactly what a soundsystem should do … Mon."

Hey Don,
Thank you for posting!
I'm sure you'll be ecstatic with the sound quality of the "Digital Americans"!

Cheers,
Pete

dpatters

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2015, 02:01 pm »
Pete,

I'm real happy with the Digital American on my DAC :thumb: I'm sure with the addition of the Digital American on my CD transport and the HP Digital Americans an my NC400 mono blocks I'm going to be one happy camper.

Don P.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2015, 05:47 pm »
  Yes you are. ENJOY !!!

charles

dpatters

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2015, 07:30 pm »
  Yes you are. ENJOY !!!

charles
Charles,
Thanks! It was some of your posts that led me down the Triode path to audio enlightenment :lol: starting with my purchase of the Vapor Joule Blacks and subsequent purchase of the Triode American speaker cables about a year ago.  I have since added a 7 Plus to my Uberbuss, a Ten Plus to my preamp, and now the Digital Americans that will be soon on there way.  Each additional cable has truly contributed to the overall sound of my system. By the way, those Joules are really singing these days.

Don P.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2015, 07:42 pm »
   Hey Don. Glad to hear your looming up. The amp was a good move. What speakers ?   Next up try the TWL digital IC  unless you use USB Then TWL USB .

charles

dpatters

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2015, 07:46 pm »
Vapor Joule Black

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2015, 07:47 pm »
 Gld you corrected the internal wiring of Border Patrol. Almost had to call cousin Vinnie the Hammer.
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

charles

Triode Pete

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:03 am »
Pete,

I'm real happy with the Digital American on my DAC :thumb: I'm sure with the addition of the Digital American on my CD transport and the HP Digital Americans an my NC400 mono blocks I'm going to be one happy camper.

Don P.

Hey Don,
Your cables will be packaged-up and will ship tomorrow for a delivery early next week!

Cheers,
Pete

dpatters

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:25 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Pete!

Don P.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2015, 02:39 pm »
Vapor Joule Black

Ooh ooh good choice as well. Enjoy!!

charles

werd

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2015, 05:22 pm »
 On that USB BP dac. I do not see the outboard tubed PSU? Was that a typo?

Triode Pete

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2015, 06:04 pm »
On that USB BP dac. I do not see the outboard tubed PSU? Was that a typo?

Yo Werd,
Nope... see picture... The tubed power supply is the wood box underneath (with the square hole cut for ventilation)...

Cheers,
Pete

werd

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2015, 12:48 am »
got it  :thumb:. Is there an alternative to the outboard tube PSU?

werd

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2015, 05:35 pm »
Pete

What is that out board PS powering?

Merry Xmas

dpatters

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2015, 05:42 pm »
The DAC.

Don P.