DSP to compensate for hearing loss that hearing aids cannot compensate for

Hirst

I do hope that his is the best circle for this topic as all my music is digital.

I want to look at using DSP ( equalizer software) to compensate for hearing loss that is outside of what hearing aids can compensate for ( above 8KHz).  We all have the charts from the audiologist but how can we convert the results to compensate to listening in a room?  I listen to digital music through a computer or Raspberry Pi.  I am hoping that I can get guidance on how use a software equalizer to adjust the outputs to compensate for the hearing loss that hearing aids do not manage ( above 8KHz).

The hard part is that if you have had a mild hearing loss for years your brain makes adjustments over time.  If you just boost the frequencies by the db of loss on the charts then the music will sound strange for many weeks.  I am hoping to find out how to get the adjustments close to what I need and fine tune after a few weeks.  Otherwise it will take years.

Thank you,

Paul

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Paul,

I don't have the answers to your questions. However, there are a couple guys who may be able to help you. The first is Rick Craig of Selah Audio (here on AC). The second fellow is AC member HAL. He's used DSP for years and I consider him knowledgeable.

Best of luck!

Michael

artur9

I have been investigating this same issue for some time.  I've always had a hearing deficit and I want to DSP the music so I can hear what I've been missing my whole life.

I did finally get aids last year and the effect drove me crazy for weeks.  I cannot believe what the normal-hearing people have to put up with,

Mike-48

Since you are adjusted to what you hear, it may or may not be an improvement to boost the highs. I have read that those with high-frequency hearing loss can be more sensitive to changes in the highs.

I think correction would best be done empirically (i.e., by trial and error). I would start by increasing the deficient areas by not more than 1 dB. Listen for a while. Then adjust more (or less), if you want.

I also would use very broad (say, Q=1 or less) corrections. This assumes you're using parametric EQ that lets you control Q.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Good idea!

As an aging audiophile I don't want to admit to hearing loss, but it's pretty much inevitable.  Of course anyone younger listening to your adjusted system wouldn't be comfortable with it.  Perhaps an "old fart" control could be secretly added that automatically makes adjustments once you enter your birth year for your private enjoyment.   :green: 

Never liked the idea of having a nice audio system just to hear it through a tiny hearing aid.  OTOH such system adaptions would be useless elsewhere, so you might need a hearing aid for other times and need to insert/remove when listening to your system as I'm sure the difference would make conversations in a crowd for instance even harder to deal with.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
I just posted this in Heaphones circle ... might be of interest to some.

https://www.nuraphone.com

RichPark

It depends on what type of hearing loss you have.  My hearing has several frequencies which are completely gone.  The audiologist played the tone and I couldn't hear it at all.  For me, it wouldn't help me to boost the missing frequencies one bit.

On another note, My tinnitus subsided to an almost undetectable level until I went to a Grace Potter outdoor concert in Austin TX  Circuit of the Americas.  I put earplugs in and I had to leave.  My ear drums were buzzing (feedback).  I have been to the Who and Deep Purple and this was the loudest concert I have ever been subjected to.  The speakers to the old rock shows were contained in 2 or 3 semi trailers.  Audio has come a long way.  The arrays used at this Austin show would have fit in my 2 car garage and yet were crazy loud.  I walked 1/2 mile away and finally the group sounded great in the parking lot. :evil:  I don't know why the sound crew was 3 stories in the air  and attempting to deafen all the concert goers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Here's a different approach for headphone users:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nura-nuraphone.22942/reviews

Interesting. Two different reviewers. One complains that music often sounds metallic. The other says “To put it very simply, Nura are the best sounding cans i’ve ever heard among all my headphones and IEMs. I can confidently say that this is the way music is meant to be heard (for me), and i’m sure everyone’s personal profile will satisfy them like mine does me. They are extremely detailed and at the same time so fun and musical in a way that i thought was really impossible.”

Also, apparently they’re heavy and you can’t use them while lying down(?).

My brother-in-law got his during the Kickstarter campaign and likes them. I’ll try them soon.