A message to my fellow Audio Circle manufacturers

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
A message to my fellow Audio Circle manufacturers
« on: 19 May 2008, 07:19 pm »
To my fellow Audio Circle manufacturers:

It is quite an honor to be included among you.  You are the "underground elite", the best of the small companies, here by earned merit rather than by advertising dollars. 

We have JohnR to thank for creating a merit-based manufacturer's community.  This allows us to avoid spending ourselves blind on advertising, and to put our limited resources into offering better products and better value.

To my fellow loudspeaker manufacturers, it is especially an honor to be included among you.  Some of you I don't really know yet, but look forward to that happening.  Some of you are new friends, and some are old friends (I was a customer of Mike Dzurko going back twenty-five years ago!).  While some similarities in our products may be inevitable, I will avoid duplicating what someone else here is already doing.  I'll try to do a different enough combination of characteristics that we don't end up fishing in the same little corner of the pond, or if so at least we won't be using the same bait!  Also, I won't use exaggerated specs to make my speakers look impossibly good on paper.  I notice that none of you do that.

My hope is to join the underground elite loudspeaker manufacturers here in continuing to take marketshare away from the big companies and divide it up between us.  A sale by one of you is a "win" for the home team, even if I sat on the bench.

Again, it's an honor to be among you.   Feel free to post in my circle, or to send me a message or e-mail, and PLEASE let me know if you see me doing something that doesn't sit right with you. 

Duke
audiokinesis at yahoo dot com

pbrstreetgang

Re: A message to my fellow Audio Circle manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2008, 08:19 pm »
Awesome post! I have a feeling AK is going to fit right in, and Audiocircle will continue to be the place to be! Welcome

nrenter

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2008, 10:15 pm »
Duke, you rock!!!

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2008, 11:33 pm »
Hey Duke, you're making me seem old  :lol: Yep, we had some great conversations on the tele back in the day and it was good to finally meet you last year at RMAF. Welcome to your new circle, you're going to like it here.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2008, 02:48 am »
Duke,

Welcome to the mfg mall!!! It's great to see you here and I'm looking forward to chatting with you more.

Good luck and best wishes!

Boris

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2008, 07:40 pm »
Thank you all! 

Mike told me that twenty-something of his former DIY customers are now competitors.  But I don't think he gave away all of his tricks.  When I walked into his room at RMAF, I instantly heard "smooth power response" - something quite rare, especially in a little 2-way.   

Mike must have started when he was about ten.  He looks like he's in his 30's.

Boris, great to hear from you!  I have posted a question on your forum about your single-ended amps.

Duke

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2008, 01:22 am »
I admire and envy you guys who know how to make speakers.....woodworking (or whatever new material you use) is challenge enough, not to mention physics that scares even us with a decent math background. And bottomless bags of tricks that you hide in your workshops.....that's a real capital of every speaker manufacturer.

Looking forward to getting a glimpse behind curtains of Duke's workshop....

Ed Schilling

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2008, 01:40 am »
Welcome, Duke. As you know I have watched you since SB. You looked much younger then. I enjoyed your Article and got lots of inspiration  from the "Gold Ribbon System". I hope it's ok for me to be here too........I promise not to cause trouble!
Ed

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2008, 06:06 am »
Boris, I dunno about other speaker manufacturers but it's you amplifier guys who intimidate the heck out of me!

Ed, you are MORE THAN WELCOME to play in my sandbox!  Wish I knew 1/4 what you do about back-loaded horns... nah, not really; they look like too much work!  I honestly don't see how you make a profit at your prices.

Just a wild thought... Boris and Ed, are ya'll familiar with one another's work??   Boris, I think Ed might already be building a more suitable speaker than I could at twice the price.

Duke