Poll

Would You Like To See New Gorgeous Cabintery for VMPS Along the Likes That Mark Schifter or Others Can Offer?

Yes!!!!
52 (81.3%)
No!  Fine as It is!
12 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: 3 Jun 2003, 09:53 pm

Mark Schifter's Cabinets with VMPS?

Sa-dono

Re: The Future of HIGH END Audio
« Reply #40 on: 8 Jun 2003, 08:35 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
As I sit here writing this, I am planted in front of my RM40s, listening to possibly the best AUDIO I have "EVER" heard.

The sound is so unbeleivable, I think I am experiencing "endorphin release".

For those who don't know what that means, it is a natural release of a chemical in the brain that give you a sense of pleasure and well being.

Between the meeting with Mark and Brian yesterday, and a "SONIC DISCOVERY" I made today, I am just sitting here with a big smile on my face that won't go away and I am literally "talking to myself"

I'm curious about this "SONIC DISCOVERY"...mail line is open... :wink:

John Casler

« Reply #41 on: 8 Jun 2003, 08:43 pm »
Quote from: Woodsea
John, does that mean my 626r's and lrc can be made into 626rmx's and lrcx's?
Can you say 'schwing' :?:

Well Woodsea, this new tweak would not work for the LRC, but would and will for the 626, RM1, RM2, RM40.

A-N-D, it will also offer the potential of making even conventional high dispersion/refraction speakers take on charachteristiscs of the VMPS and RM/x.

I'll look into "cost" tomorrow, to make the tweak.  My best guess is around $99 for the RM series and $79 for the 626.

A-N-D.... I also just came up with a BASS tweak, although those of you with critical mass WAF problems might not be able to "turn it on".

Damn, this is fun :mrgreen:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
ML:S
« Reply #42 on: 8 Jun 2003, 08:56 pm »
All I can say is Mark shouldn't keep his cash and plastic in that pocket...

wshuff

« Reply #43 on: 8 Jun 2003, 09:47 pm »
Hey John,

I'm looking forward to reading about this tweak.  Inquiring minds want to know...

John Casler

« Reply #44 on: 8 Jun 2003, 09:56 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono
I'm curious about this "SONIC DISCOVERY"...mail line is open... :wink:

Hey Sa-Dono,

Everything you said about Mark is true, but I won't tell him what you said :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

The tweak is very cool.  You need to hear it.  Let me know when you have a few minutes.  I put it together with some very "rough" materials I had on hand, but I'm going to look into a reasonable looking materials to make it.

I might just turn into "Mr. AfterMarket Tweak" contributor.

Hope those new Refs are doing good things to your ears.

If you can tear youself away from them long enough, to give a listen let me know.
 :wink:

John Casler

Re: ML:S
« Reply #45 on: 8 Jun 2003, 10:05 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
All I can say is Mark shouldn't keep his cash and plastic in that pocket...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

What Brian is refering to here is the position of his right hand in the photo w/the RM40.

No, he is not describing the size of any body part, he is preparing to "pinch" Mark's wallet :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Sa-dono

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jun 2003, 10:12 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Hey Sa-Dono,

Everything you said about Mark is true, but I won't tell him what you said :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

The tweak is very cool.  You need to hear it.  Let me know when you have a few minutes.  I put it together with some very "rough" materials I had on hand, but I'm going to look into a reasonable looking materials to make it.

I might just turn into "Mr. AfterMarket Tweak" contributor.

Hope those new Refs are doing good things to your ears.

If you can tear youself away from them long enough, to give a listen let me know.
 :wink:

Hey...what're you talking about...I only say nice things about Mark and just talk smack about you  :lol: j/k of course..well about you :D

And nothing wrong with After Market Tweaks. If it makes a big improvement..that's all that matters. And yeah..the Ref's are spoiling me...have them on as I type now :mrgreen: I can probably tear myself away since I need to return the amp that's just sitting "pretty" on top of a box :lol: Let me know..

John Casler

« Reply #47 on: 8 Jun 2003, 11:13 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono

And nothing wrong with After Market Tweaks. If it makes a big improvement..that's all that matters. And yeah..the Ref's are spoiling me...have them on as I type now :mrgreen: I can probably tear myself away since I need to return the amp that's just sitting "pretty" on top of a box :lol: Let me know..

Well since I missed my "exercise" yesterday, I am going to get in a bit today so I am leaving in a "couple mins" to get the old heart pumping.

I think I'm gonna get Mark and Brian on a program too. :lol:  :lol:

So I'll post you when I get back if its not too late.

FLASH!!!! I just added another tweak (actually they're all related) that works well with the RM40.  Man if I find anymore, I don't know what I'll do.

It already sounds like Hendrix, has been cyrogenically frozen and re-animated in my "Music Room".  This is getting ridiculuos
:lol:

Also anyone looking for a fabulous "Reference Cut" and likes Dire Straits, (even if you don't like them) find the disc that has "Private Investigations" on it (I have it on a "greatest hits" CD) and play it LOUD!!!.  It starts slow but what a sonic treat!!!

Horsehead

« Reply #48 on: 8 Jun 2003, 11:51 pm »
SPEAK to us Tweakmaster!!!!!!

hectic1

Re: The Meet...
« Reply #49 on: 9 Jun 2003, 03:04 am »
Quote from: mlschifter
Good Morning...

I felt a few words were in order as I prepare to head back to Colorado later today...

I must say that the long term plan that Brian and John laid out for me was food for real thought. I haven't stopped thinking about it yet... and still first in my thoughts as I woke up to get the day moving here. The "plan" has real merit in many respects... and now I need to go home and talk it over with my team... and our partners...

I wish to sincerely thank John and Brian for their efforts and ...

I had the opportunity to listen to some RM-40 yesterday and I have to agree with you that they are one of the best values in the audio industy today. Man Mark, if you start building cabinets for VMPS they are going to be one bad a** speaker as the only thing that I saw lacking in them was their cabinets. Best of luck to you guys in making this happen!!

John Casler

« Reply #50 on: 9 Jun 2003, 03:10 am »
Quote from: Horsehead
SPEAK to us Tweakmaster!!!!!!

Hey Horsehead,

Well I have to do a couple things before revealing the tweaks.

1) Make sure they work (as in not masking a frequency or something)

2) Figure out a way to help people do it (there are three primary tweaks, and Tyson's request for a RM/x face on an RM40 started my wheels turning.)

Now be aware that all of them work with the RM40

Two of them work with the RM1/RM2/626

And they are not specific to VMPS Speakers, but can no doubt provide an interesting tweak to all box speakers.

In my room they just help the RM40 do the things I like best about it.

- Precision Imaging
- Soundstage depth
- Sonic Silence (Blackness) between performers and instruments
- A substantially better "disapearing act" into the soundstage
- And better bass for those who place their speakers well out into the room like I do
- Much less ceiling bounce for those with low ceilings or farfeild listening positions
- less room reflections.

But my "Duct Tape" version is not a pretty site :roll:   and I want to check and see how much a supplier I know would charge to make this like I want it, and in sizes for the different models.

I also have another "SUPER TWEAK" but that will likely be patented and included in the "NEW VMPS" as a set up device to my clients.

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield saying "I gotta million ov'em" :mrgreen:

soundguy3

My first impressions of the RM40's.....
« Reply #51 on: 9 Jun 2003, 09:45 am »
Well, what a great thread to add more kudo's to Brian Cheney's RM40's!

I have had my 40's now for a few weeks, and I can say without a hesitation in my typing.....................that these are fantastic sounding speakers, and I can certainly echo what Mark Shifter is saying.  

My daughter came home from a trip the other day and had not heard the 40's.  I had her sit down in the 'sweet spot' and she said
that it was so real, where was  Patricia Barber and Wynona Judd, that it sounded like they were there in the middle between the 2 speakers, and that is was like there was a ghost there...(ramblings from a non-audiophile teenager) :mrgreen: . She could not believe the sound.

It has taken the 40's some break-in time, some advice from both Brian and John C. and now they sound so incredible, the performers might as well be in my living room with me, the speakers are that good. Everything is there, in spades.  Such a "real" sounding speaker.
I am actually changing from the piano black to the white birch... but am hesitant to give these up because they are sounding so good! :!: I have them firing at me pretty much on axis, as John had suggested, and the soundstage is unbelieveable...depth is wayyy back there.  

I found that just the slightest movement of the toe-in of either speaker,  among other things,  changed the soundstage dramatically.......probably due to reflecitons etc.

More on this great speaker later........

John C...what tweaks are you up to now :wink:  :wink: ???  

:!:  :!: Speaking of TWEAKS.......I should mention that I found a plastic spray cleaner/polisher at my local Lowe's Home Imp. store that is making my CD's sound incredible.  I swear,  that spraying both sides of a CD with this stuff is like getting new interconnects or speaker cables.  I posted this earlier but here it is again in case anyone wants to try it....I should re-bottle the stuff and sell it as  "CDMAGIC"   :D ..........it's called   "Plastic Cleaner" by Plaskolite...an anti-static cleaner and polisher.....I understand that certain SACD discs do not like stuff like this, so don't use it on those discs..but for CD's, I can assure you the cheapest TWEAK for some great sound  for about $4-5 dollars for 8.8 ozs!  Make sure you do a before/after with whatever CD you use the spray on, the effect is not subtle. There is a huge difference :hyper:

More later.....

Soundguy3

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jun 2003, 08:20 pm »
Brian,
As a side-note, could you consider the possibility of offering new cabinet "upgrades" (i.e. w/ Mark's future partnership) for current VMPS owners on your most popular models (i.e 626r, RM40, etc)?  

Whether the user can send their current speakers in for cabinet upgrade or offered in kit form, I think there would be a good market for this (Odyssey has such an upgrade policy in place for its amps).........

Heck, it would even be nice to have an ongoing upgrade policy (after 1 year) for all VMPS gear along the lines of something like Tyler Acoustics currently offers.

With a fair pricing system for all those involved, I think these ideas could be popular.

Just food for thought....

Brian Cheney

cabs
« Reply #53 on: 10 Jun 2003, 09:50 pm »
No worry, we will offer the cabinet upgrade when available.  Mark says he'll do us a killer piano black lacquer and a rosewood RM 40 box starting in a few weeks.

Don't let that prevent you from sending money now, however....

Marbles

« Reply #54 on: 10 Jun 2003, 10:13 pm »
How will the new cabinets impact the price?

TheeeChosenOne

Re: cabs
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jun 2003, 10:22 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
No worry, we will offer the cabinet upgrade when available.  Mark says he'll do us a killer piano black lacquer and a rosewood RM 40 box starting in a few weeks.

Don't let that prevent you from sending money now, however....

Gotcha.  Thanks Brian!

Btw, the Bird's Eye Maple also looks mighty nice.   Boy, you guys will be able to brainstorm some beautiful cabinets and colors in the future.  The possibilities are fantastic!  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #56 on: 10 Jun 2003, 10:26 pm »
Would it be possible for us RM40 owners to buy an RM/X cabinet, buy a couple of extra mid-panels, trade in our 10 inch low bass woofer and PR for the 12 inch versions?

Brian Cheney

rmx
« Reply #57 on: 10 Jun 2003, 10:45 pm »
Sure can, but it would be simpler and cost the same to just do the speaker trade up...

Brian Cheney

finish
« Reply #58 on: 10 Jun 2003, 10:46 pm »
Mark says he has Birdseye Maple, plus peas and string beans...

rosconey

« Reply #59 on: 10 Jun 2003, 11:04 pm »
find out about green giant cream corn yellow :mrgreen:
first is the rm40 whats the second one going to be
626r-large sub-rm2 :?:

also how will the new cabinets effect prices :roll: