Group Buy for OLIVE Media players for VMPS'ers

John Casler

« on: 19 May 2006, 04:38 am »
Several months ago I became an OLIVE dealer, but haven't ramped up the program yet.

Interest is now growing in these units and our own VMPS dealer in Colorado, Wayne from Bolder Cable anticipates offering a mod package for these units.

To be frank there is not much margin in these unless they are purchased several at a time.

Would be willing to offer a "Group Buy" to VMPS'ers (might squeeze in a few non-vmps'ers too if need be) to get a group.

This GB is only good on the Musica, and the OPUS models, since there is "no" margin on the Symphony at all.

Here is the Musica

and the OPUS

Savings to the group will depend on the number of participants.

These are great units and I can't wait to get mine.

Look here for more info:

http://www.olive.us/p_bin/?cid=home

Radiator

Interested....
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2006, 03:22 pm »
Well, thought I'd throw my name out here, though I am still not certain I am game.  Never heard of these things.  The cost jump from the Musica to the Opus is rather large, I wonder if the Opus is worth the extra money.  I see the much larger harddrive, wonder if they can be changed out.....

Anyway, I need to take some time to look at these things more closely....

John Casler

Re: Interested....
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2006, 09:42 pm »
Quote from: Radiator
Well, thought I'd throw my name out here, though I am still not certain I am game.  Never heard of these things.  The cost jump from the Musica to the Opus is rather large, I wonder if the Opus is worth the extra money.  I see the much larger harddrive, wonder if they can be changed out.....

Anyway, I need to take some time to look at these things more closely....

Welcome.  If all who PM'd me go forward, we are in good shape to go forward on a MUSICA group.

This would the 250Gig model not the 160Gig.  At this level the price difference is only about $100 more for the 250.

External HDs can be added via the USB port.

I will PM you with the current price based on group participation.

I will check with OLIVE on Monday and see if we can "mix and match models" for the "volume" discounts, so as not to be restricted to a single model.

PLMONROE

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2006, 01:45 am »
Couldn't get any specs from the Olive site. I always just HATE that! John can you be more specific on these?

John Casler

DATA SHEET
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2006, 01:56 am »
Quote from: PLMONROE
Couldn't get any specs from the Olive site. I always just HATE that! John can you be more specific on these?

Hi Paul,

Take a look at the DATA SHEET (pdf) here:

http://www.olive.us/downloads/musica_datasheet.pdf

and see if it answers your questions.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2006, 02:05 am »
Also see if this helps

Olive|MUSICA - Behind the scenes.
All the specs. All the benefits.

IBM PowerPC  Full-scale 32-bit processor  Ample processing power for multi-tasking

Simultaneous recording of and listening to CDs

Flawless encoding and decoding of lossless audio format

Fast management and access to extensive music libraries

Smooth multi-room audio streaming

Hard Drive  250 GB, 3.5"  
Extremely quiet.

CD mechanism  Panasonic CD-R/RW  High fidelity CD audio playback.
Burn your favorite music to CD.

Networking Wired  4-port switch, auto-sense (10/100)  Fast bandwidth for seamless multi-room audio streaming (up to 5 rooms simultaneously)
Complete infrastructure to set up your own home network.

Wireless  54 Mbit/s WLAN-Access point (802.11g)  
Protocols  UPnP A/V and Apple Bonjour (formerly Rendezvous)  Automatic recognition of networked devices
Allows streaming from and to MP3 player software such as iTunes.

Encryption  WEP, 64 and 128 bit  
Audio Ports  Input  1x analog (gold-plated RCA)  Record music from analog devices such as LP player or tape deck.

Output  1x analog (gold-plated RCA)
1x digital output S/P DIF optical Toslink
1x digital output S/P DIF coaxial cinch  Digital output ensures lossless audio streaming to your stereo system.
Gold-plated RCA ports provide first-class long-term connection as it is resistant to corrosion

Other ports  2x USB 1.1/2.0  Copy music from your music center to an Apple® iPod™

Navigation  Two-level jog-shuttle  Browse quickly through thousands of songs

7-line, backlit, wide-screen, high-resolution LCD (400x160; 4 grey scales)  Displays all information relevant to music
Crystal-clear and razor-sharp text
ZOOM-mode makes information legible from distance

Web interface  Conveniently edit metadata and playlists from any browser.

Audio formats and compressions  Playback  MP3 and MP3 VBR
MP3 streaming (multi-room)
RAW: AIFF, PCM, WAV
OGG/Vorbis
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
AAC (MPEG4)  Maximum compatibility with today's digital music formats
Note: Currently the Olive Musica does not support playback of music protected by Digital Rights Management (e.g. music purchased online at the Apple iTunes store).

Recording  RAW: AIFF, WAV (1411.2 kbit/s)
FLAC (800 to 1411 kbit/s)
MP3 and MP3 VBR (128 to 320 bit/s)  Record your music in lossless quality or efficient MP3 format

Frequency  Multiple frequency support: 11.025, 22.050, 32.000, 44.100 and 48.000 Hz  Accurate recording from a variety of external devices such as MiniDisc, DVD and DAT.

Internet radio  Wide selection of free internet radio stations based on shoutcast.com  Listen to music and news from all over the world
Smart categorization lets you find your favorite station quickly
Add individual internet radio stations not listed with shoutcast.com

CD Database  Built-in database with 2,000,0000 tracks to recognize and tag CDs. Updateable via the Internet.  Automatic labeling of recorded music.
No internet access necessary

Energy efficient design  0.6 Watt in Standby- and 7 Watt in PLAY-mode  Low power consumption and heat dissipation allows Olive Musica to run without fan. All you hear is music. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Color  Silver or Black  
Measurements  Width 17.13"
Height 3.35"
Depth 11.42"
Weight 13.2 lb.  Fits perfectly to your stereo system

Box includes  1x Olive|MUSICA, Quick Startup Guide, remote control w/ battery, CD with recovery software, power cord, Toslink and high-grade RCA cable.

John Casler

And Volume Control
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2006, 06:12 pm »
I just thought of another point that might be of interest to those looking for "minimalist" systems.

The OLIVE has volume control to its outputs.

So it allows you to go straight from the units outputs directly to a power amp.

Considering it already allows you to use "internet radio", CD's, and the HD as sources, that offers some nice flexibility.

And while it probably (I haven't heard it) isn't the same, it also allows you to record your "vinyl" to the HD for playback.

Take home point is, that you could easily get by with the MUSICA, your amps, and a pair of speakers for a lot of enjoyment.

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2006, 06:12 pm »
Hi John,
Thanks for your work on the group buy.
I have a Benchmark Dac1 and would use the Music with the external Dac.
Wouold the remote control on the Olive work with this?  Then I don't have to use a preamp.
Thanks John,
Bill

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2006, 06:30 pm »
Quote from: mr_bill
Hi John,
Wouold the remote control on the Olive work with this?  Then I don't have to use a preamp.
Thanks John,
Bill

Not having the unit yet myself, I am not sure but will check with OLIVE Monday to find out.

Doesn't the Benchmark already have volume control?, or are you looking for "remote volume control".

I can see this unit, with a pair of NuFORCE or a Son of AMPzilla, and some Rosewood, Ebony, or Piano Black RM30s sounding very sweet :mrgreen:

mr_bill

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2006, 06:34 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Quote from: mr_bill
Hi John,
Thanks John,
Bill

Not having the unit yet myself, I am not sure but will check with OLIVE Monday to find out.

Doesn't the Benchmark already have volume control?, or are you looking for "remote volume control".

I can see this unit, with a pair of NuFORCE or a Son  ...

Yes, remote volume control.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2006, 07:03 pm »
Have you heard the Olive?  Did you get a TRL modified Sony player?  How do they compare?
Thanks.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2006, 07:11 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
Have you heard the Olive?  Did you get a TRL modified Sony player?  How do they compare?
Thanks.

Yes, but on a client's system, not my own.

I have only heard the TRL at CES.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2006, 07:30 pm »
Does the Olive have an msrp?  If so, what is it?  Man that thing is stuffed w/ features!  

Is it as quiet as advertised?  I absolutely can not believe what a noisey piece of crap the Comcast DVR is!  It's like eggs are frying in your soundroom.  Thank goodness it is just as convenient as it is noisy!  Comcast said they may replace all current boxes this summer w/ new Thompson units.  The sooner the better.  I've been through about a dozen bogus boxes.  I love the way, on the hd boxes, the standard definition channels look like crap on the component outputs, & a different output must be used to get a normal picture.

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2006, 07:38 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
Does the Olive have an msrp?  If so, what is it?  Man that thing is stuffed w/ features!  

Is it as quiet as advertised?  I absolutely can not believe what a noisey piece of crap the Comcast DVR is!  It's like eggs are frying in your soundroom.  Thank goodness it is just as convenient as it is noisy!  Comcast said they may replace all current boxes this summer w/ new Thompson units.  The sooner the better.  I've been through about a dozen bogus boxes.  I love the way, on the hd boxes, the standard defini ...

The Model we're focusing on in the Group Buy, is the 250Gig MUSICA.

It has a list price of $1499.

The group so far has taken a nice "bite" out of that, but I can't post prices.

Send me your e-mail, if your interested and I'll put you in the loop.

As far as quiet, I couldn't hear anything in my client's system, and I can't stand noise.

I have dumped a couple DVD players because I could hear the disc spinning from the listening postition.

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2006, 09:11 pm »
I should probably mention that all the OLIVE units can also be used with the SONATA.

The SONATA has similarities to the Squeeze Box, as I understand it.

This unit is "wireless"and allow you to take it to any room in your house with a reciever or amp with RCA inputs and plug it in.

It then will receive transmission from the MAIN Olive Server, and stream the signal to your other system(s).

These are $199 each

Look here for info:

http://www.olive.us/p_bin/?cid=01_02_sonata

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2006, 07:50 am »
John :
    Take home point is, that you could easily get by with the MUSICA, your amps, and a pair of speakers for a lot of enjoyment.
    [/list:u]
      A nice , simple system..... 8) [/list:u]

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2006, 08:05 am »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    John :

Yeah, like any of us could really do that :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2006, 08:11 am »
      Quote from: lonewolfny42
      John :

Yeah, like any of us could really do that :lol:
        I do it quiet often....to keep everything in working order. :wink:
          And....you also get to "hear" what each piece "sounds like"....keep it simple. :thumb: [/list:u]

John Casler

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2006, 08:16 am »
        We may have to change your name to NiteOwlNY.

Holy moly, its 1:15 AM here in LA.  man that is 4:15 in NY.

Did you dine on Type A tonight?  I hear the AB negative is good if you find a good year :lol:

I gotta hit the sheets :sleep:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2006, 08:19 am »
        We may have to change your name to NiteOwlNY.

Holy moly, its 1:15 AM here in LA.  man that is 4:15 in NY.

Did you dine on Type A tonight?  I hear the AB negative is good if you find a good year :lol:

I gotta hit the sheets :sleep:
        Took a "power nap" at midnight....about 40 min.'s....I'm recharged....plus got a few cd's I want to hear.
          So....why go to sleep.... :lol: [/list:u]