What is BDP-1 Error Code 09?

budcook

Re: What is BDP-1 Error Code 09?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2013, 01:05 am »
My problem isn't a formatting problem.  It's been formatted with Windows 7.

If I wait just seconds after the onset of Initialization to plug the drive in, it works perfectly.  It is only what appears to be the start of Initialization that the problem occurs.  In normal operation, there is a single beep when power is turned on with a drive plugged in.  In my case there is the single beep and then a series of beeps follows that.  After a longer than normal Initialization, the error code 09 is presented.

I've ordered a Y cable to see if the problem is truly a power problem. 

After getting a USB to mini-USB 3.0 cable the results are the same.  If I wait 10 seconds to connect the drive after pressing the power button, it works OK.  I'll just live with it although I'd like to know if it would work with a BDP-2.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2013, 04:31 am by budcook »

Marius

« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:36 pm »
HI The fact that waiting a few seconds resolves your issues doesn't imply it can't be a formatting issue. The famous drive_code_id107 error only took a few seconds, didn't cause any playing problems either, but was resolved by formatting the WD Passports with the MBR option selected (Fat32 or MSDos on Mac/ Disk utility)

Cheers,
Marius

My problem isn't a formatting problem.  If I wait just seconds after the onset of Initialization to plug the drive in,

budcook

« Reply #22 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:47 pm »
HI The fact that waiting a few seconds resolves your issues doesn't imply it can't be a formatting issue. The famous drive_code_id107 error only took a few seconds, didn't cause any playing problems either, but was resolved by formatting the WD Passports with the MBR option selected (Fat32 or MSDos on Mac/ Disk utility)

Cheers,
Marius
But I don't use OS/X to format the drive.  I use Windows 7 running under BootCamp and I've tried both Fat32 and NTFS with no success.  I'm also ripping CD's under Windows 7.

Nevertheless, I'll give your suggestion a try.  Thanks for your help.

Update... I just realized Windows could also stick in a Master Boot Record on the drive.

Marius

« Reply #23 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:02 pm »
Well, you never know, this might just be the very cause for your issues   :green: Windows on a Mac........ :lol:

Had Bootcamp and one of the commercial emulators on my Mac to try and run some non-ported Windows programs, but they all suffered issues caused by this 'solution'. Uninstalled them all, and have a dedicated windows7 machine for specific use.

keep us updated.
`cheers,
Marius

But I don't use OS/X to format the drive.  I use Windows 7 running under BootCamp and I've tried both Fat32 and NTFS with no success.  I'm also ripping CD's under Windows 7.

Nevertheless, I'll give your suggestion a try.  Thanks for your help.

Update... I just realized Windows could also stick in a Master Boot Record on the drive.

budcook

« Reply #24 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:50 pm »
Well, you never know, this might just be the very cause for your issues   :green: Windows on a Mac........ :lol:

Had Bootcamp and one of the commercial emulators on my Mac to try and run some non-ported Windows programs, but they all suffered issues caused by this 'solution'. Uninstalled them all, and have a dedicated windows7 machine for specific use.

keep us updated.
`cheers,
Marius
I just formatted a partition with Disk Utility on Mountain Lion using the GUID table option, not the MBR option, no joy.

Formatted as NTFS file under Windows 7 w/o the DOS start up record, no joy.

I think I'll buy a Passport that I know will work and use this one as backup for my MBR.

Thanks to everyone who has been trying to help me. 

Marius

« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:47 pm »
I just formatted a partition with Disk Utility on Mountain Lion using the GUID table option, not the MBR option, no joy.

you tried the MBR option too, with deselected GUID?

Marius

budcook

« Reply #26 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:52 pm »
you tried the MBR option too, with deselected GUID?

Marius
Yes, that's what I did at the very beginning.  MBR is the default.  There are three mutually exclusive options.  The third is for Power PC's.

budcook

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2013, 01:14 am »
OK, I just ordered a BDP-2 so we'll see how that works :green:  Yeah, I know it would be nearly $3,000 cheaper to get a new drive.

budcook

« Reply #28 on: 5 May 2013, 02:27 pm »
OK, I just ordered a BDP-2 so we'll see how that works :green:  Yeah, I know it would be nearly $3,000 cheaper to get a new drive.
I bought a 500GB drive which cured the problem but after replacing the BDP-1 with a new BDP-2, I can plug both the 500GB and the 1TB drive in at Initialization and they both load with no errors.

In fact, I plugged both hard drives in along with a couple of flash drives and the BDP-2 handled it with no problems.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2013, 05:17 pm by budcook »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #29 on: 7 May 2013, 02:26 am »
Thing about hard drives is that they change from year to year and just because it says WD on the plastics bits on the outside it could be someone else's drive inside.

Cheers,
Chris

budcook

« Reply #30 on: 7 May 2013, 02:46 am »
Thing about hard drives is that they change from year to year and just because it says WD on the plastics bits on the outside it could be someone else's drive inside.

Cheers,
Chris
The exact same 1TB HD that produced an Error Code 9 when the BDP-1 booted, works fine with the BDP-2.  Now I don't have to wait until after booting to plug the 1TB drive in.  I can leave it plugged in all the time.

Bud

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #31 on: 8 May 2013, 01:57 am »
Yah I don't think we've plugged a drive into a BDP-2 that it couldn't power as of yet.

Cheers,
Chris

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #32 on: 9 May 2013, 07:00 pm »
Thanks to Chris' impressive expertise and generous help in conquering code 09 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:, this Samsung 500gb drive is performing happily in my BDP-2.

Bryston's components merit lucite covers; what a cleanly designed and beautiful interior layout.
Then of course, there's the sound. Wow! :bounce:

Cheerio,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Marius

« Reply #33 on: 10 May 2013, 04:39 pm »
HI Chris,

considering the bdp2 is still quite 'spacious' inside, would you consider making some kind of optional kit to accommodate several more ssd's? checking So There's photo below,  I would assume at least 4 ssd's could be placed, twice 2 stacked ssd's without a problem.

I always like to have separate drives for separate music-styles, having 4 ssd's inside would be perfect.

Cheers,

Marius

Yah I don't think we've plugged a drive into a BDP-2 that it couldn't power as of yet.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2013, 03:31 pm »
Hi Marius,

There is enough space, but only two SATA connectors on the mainboard and one is used by the eSata port on the back.  I suppose we could make an upgrade kit to remove the eSata and allow for two internal Sata drives?

Cheers.
Chris

Marius

« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2013, 04:48 pm »
Maybe yes!
Just considering the future update space on the backpanel too, any thoughts about that yet Chris?

Hi Marius,

There is enough space, but only two SATA connectors on the mainboard and one is used by the eSata port on the back.  I suppose we could make an upgrade kit to remove the eSata and allow for two internal Sata drives?

Cheers.
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2013, 07:20 pm »
thats for USB 3.0 if we ever get there

Marius

« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2013, 07:33 pm »
ok.
thank you.

Marius

thats for USB 3.0 if we ever get there

David Lester

« Reply #38 on: 27 Jul 2013, 05:29 pm »
Plug the drive into a Windows PC, right click to PROPERTIES and SHARE the drive with EVERYONE. Then try with BDP-1.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #39 on: 8 Aug 2013, 01:57 am »
Plug the drive into a Windows PC, right click to PROPERTIES and SHARE the drive with EVERYONE. Then try with BDP-1.

It's what I do