Single Driver speakers on a budget .

Irwin

Single Driver speakers on a budget .
« on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:26 pm »
One of the biggest mistakes I've made over the years was selling a pair of Omega Grande 6 loudspeakers with the matching Omega sub.I'd like to
get back into a single driver loudspeaker.My room is 12 x 16 and I listen to mostly modern electric blues and classic rock.Bookshelf size speakers are
 perfered. I'm not a diy guy,and have a maximum budget of $500 new or used. Any help is greatly appreciated.

roscoe65

Re: Single Driver speakers on a budget .
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:28 pm »
You answered your own question.  Keep a lookout for a secondhand pair of Omega Super 3 speakers.  New ones start at $695, so you only need a bit of patience.

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:39 pm »
Look into Caintuck Loudspeakers $350.00+shp for a basic finish. Randy is a great guy and I had a pair of DIY in my 11x15x8 room for a few  months.  Till I spent a lot more on Charney Audio horns.They are a single driver OB design and are super simple to set up. Sound great with either SS or tube gear.
http://www.caintuckaudio.com/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:57 pm »
Look into Caintuck Loudspeakers $350.00+shp for a basic finish. Randy is a great guy and I had a pair of DIY in my 11x15x8 room for a few  months.  Till I spent a lot more on Charney Audio horns.They are a single driver OB design and are super simple to set up. Sound great with either SS or tube gear.
http://www.caintuckaudio.com/

Thought the Betsy driver was no longer available. 

Omega drivers (other than the 5 inchers) seem to keep changing.  Each have their own voicing.

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2018, 05:57 pm »

Omega drivers (other than the 5 inchers) seem to keep changing.  Each have their own voicing.

Randy closed his store down but is still selling the Betsy on the net. You can also buy the Betsy on the Decware website.

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2018, 06:12 pm »

Just got off the phone with Randy and Wild Boro is still producing the driver. Randy is up and running building his Betsy speakers.
Chris

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2018, 06:54 pm »
Glad you called.  Randy is a good guy.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2018, 08:10 pm »
One of the biggest mistakes I've made over the years was selling a pair of Omega Grande 6 loudspeakers with the matching Omega sub.I'd like to
get back into a single driver loudspeaker.My room is 12 x 16 and I listen to mostly modern electric blues and classic rock.Bookshelf size speakers are
 perfered. I'm not a diy guy,and have a maximum budget of $500 new or used. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Your wish be granted, here prices start $98/pair:
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html

tailspinrex

« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2018, 02:52 am »
Decware sale the plans for the DNA speaker for $20.  Very good small speaker.

tailspinrex

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2018, 02:57 am »
Decware sales the plans for the DNA speaker for $20.  A very good small speaker.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2018, 03:52 pm »
I'm not a diy guy,and have a maximum budget of $500 new or used. Any help is greatly appreciated.

[/size]Your wish be granted, here prices start $98/pair:http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html

FYI, DIY means Do it Yourself.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2018, 09:39 pm »

FYI, DIY means Do it Yourself.

Certainly there is a carpenter in your city.
For stuffing the box see this:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100689.0

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2018, 09:47 pm »
Certainly there is a carpenter in your city.
For stuffing the box see this:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100689.0

I haven't priced carpenters making speaker boxes but in the States, I'm not so sure and a custom box would be very cheap.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2018, 10:27 pm »
For less expense with enclosure worth mentioning the known pair already tested and approved: Alpha 15A and Visaton B200 in OB panel and they emit sound to front and back, much better than monopole speakers.
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2018, 02:01 am by FullRangeMan »

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2018, 01:33 am »
Decware sale the plans for the DNA speaker for $20.  Very good small speaker.

+1

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:25 pm »

The Omega 6" Alnico driver has been on the market for around ten years unchanged but for the colour of the main cone.  The 4.5" RS5 driver has been on the the market for about 6 years unchanged.  The 7" driver has been on the market for about 5 years unchanged. 
A solid record IMO.

The big name mass market outfits often change their drivers once a year for each new Los Vegas CES.  It seems when a big name changes their product, it's called progress, but when small outfit changes their product, it's called instability.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:41 pm »
sale the plans for the DNA speaker for $20.

Moderatly good, it is smaller than expected. Complex to build. Having heard it, i’d suggest one of the Frugel-horns as a better bet. A10p in FHXL smokes DNA horn (but has a bigger footprint).

dave

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2019, 09:53 pm »
Moderatly good, it is smaller than expected. Complex to build. Having heard it, i’d suggest one of the Frugel-horns as a better bet. A10p in FHXL smokes DNA horn (but has a bigger footprint).

dave

I read on their forum about a guy that was going to make DIY DNA Horn's, but was talked into making a DNA 2. You might look that up, Steve Deckart says that is the best he has ever made.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2019, 10:06 pm »

dave

Dave,

Some years ago in Lethbridge Alberta an audio acquaintance had a pair of your Fonken monitors with an enabled driver (forget exactly which) and they sounded lovely.  He was powering them with a tiny 15w/ch Nu-Force amp.  I kept asking him whether his sub was on but he said no.  All around very balanced sound with great imaging.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2019, 10:18 pm »
You answered your own question.  Keep a lookout for a secondhand pair of Omega Super 3 speakers.  New ones start at $695, so you only need a bit of patience.

Sometimes they'll show up on his website store for a discounted price.  I've seen some real good deals on there.