Decent CD player ?

rahimlee54

Decent CD player ?
« on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:16 pm »
I have decided to go ahead and get a dedicated cd player instead of using my PS3, I was wondering if anyone could throw out some suggestions on a nice neutral cd player <500, I plan on using just this until I get I can get a DAC.  I'd like to be able to pop in DVDA and SACDs in just in case I get the urge but that isnt a deal breaker.  I couldnt really decide where to post this but I figured on this section would be good,since you can tell me what you think works well with salks.

Used is cool.

Jared

robinje

Re: Decent CD player ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:22 pm »
Maybe a Rotel RCD-1072.  I think Rotel is replacing that model, so you can possibly find one for a discount.  I have one and like it as a standalone player.  But, I now use it as a transport with my AVA Ultra DAC.  The Rotel has been very reliable.   :D

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:57 pm »
If you are getting a DAC down the road, why not just get an Oppo 983?

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2009, 05:13 pm »

Agreed.  8)

MichiganMike

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2009, 05:24 pm »
I bought a Denon 3910 for $500 from a dealer after it had been discontinued.  You can find these used in excellent condition for <$500 as owners move to Blu-ray.  IMHO the audio quality from the 3910 is close to my CD-only Classe CDP10, which cost significantly more and received several rave reviews.  The 3910 also offers DVDA and SACD capability.
Here are two links to reviews that comment on the superior audio quality of the Denon 3910.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/denon-dvd-3910-dvd-player-1-2005.html
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/dvd-players/denon-dvd-3910-dvd-player-review

clipped

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2009, 05:28 pm »
Ditto the ditto, Oppo

rahimlee54

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2009, 05:33 pm »
I had thought about the oppo and then I wasnt sure how long it would be until the DAC did actually come along so I figured I may want something more substantial, so I am trying to read up on alternatives, but I may just save the cash and go with the oppo as well.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2009, 05:50 pm »
There are some great deals on both new and used DACs.  I recently bought an AVA T8 DAC for $650.00 including shipping and PayPal fees.  Otherwise, if you are looking for a one-box CDP, there have been some deals on used Music Hall CD25 and Cambridge Audio 540C players.  I bought a Marantz CD5001 last year ($299.00 from Crutchfield) which is fine as a transport, but the analog output doesn't sound very good.  Whatever you get, you will want a CDP or transport that has a very quiet power supply.  I tried to use a cheap Philips DVP from Costco as a transport, and I had terrible noise in my system.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:01 pm »

Agreed.  8)

Excellent suggestion!

George

Scottdazzle

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:09 pm »
For redbook cd only, Maxwlarath has a Jolida for sale here in AC for a bargain price.  I'd put it up against any Oppo or Denon.  The tube output stage is the key.  You'd probably want to replace the stock tubes, though... they're not very good.

mathgeek97

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:46 pm »
or wait until the Oppo BDP-83 is released.
DAC: Two-channel Cirrus CS4398 DAC for Discrete Stereo; Eight-channel CS4382A DAC for Multi-Channel Analog
(I borrowed from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287)
And I know somebody on here is in the EAP (beta testing) program and can actually comment on the analog performance.  Was it Adydula?
-Kevin

bummrush

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:54 pm »
If you want used,easy choice ,,Arcam cd92 ,92t cd23 cd23t

AK

• twisterspeakers
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:56 pm »
I am very happy with sony CDP-CE275 and monica2 dac. I don't even think about upgrading.
also I like Samsung DVD-V2000, inconvenient to use, but sounds great.
IMO Oppo 980 sounds too harsh, overly bright. just like the most players with oversampling.

mchuckp

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:39 pm »
I owned a Oppo 980 and agree it wasn't up to par for me and got rid of it.  I am in the EAP for the 983 and LOVE it.  I've never owned a hi end CD player so I may not be the best person to ask comparing for that.  But I find it VERY good compared to my Toshiba A2, PS3, and AppleTV with Lossless audio.

Someday I'd like to try a "hi end" CD player.  I'm also interested in all the comments I hear on external DACs.  They really make that much difference?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:45 pm »
I am  in the Oppo EAP group and have had the BD 83 for 3+ weeks and 2 firmware updates. So far it has been a very good performer.
Extremely versatile and has more things to tweak than you could imagine.

The sound is marvelous and it built very well, 11 lbs, stable and works with most all the stuff thats out there.

They did a lot of engineering in the 2 ch analog part and its paid off.

The cost WAS $499 for the EAP. I dont know what the retail price will be.

I think the product is just a few weeks away from retail by my best guessing.

I sold a $1800 high end Denon CD player and this is just as good to my ears and does so much more other than 2 ch audio.

Alexh

BobC

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:52 pm »
A link to a thread where we're discussing the Oppo BD83.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66733.0

Can't beat it for $500, IMO. 

A nice CDP too, but I can't yet say it's a giant killer WRT only CD performance (again, IMO).

Suggest people get it (when released) for the blu-ray capabilities first and if it happens to replace your CDP then it's a bonus.  BTW, Oppo has a nice return policy.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2009, 08:53 pm »
The nice thing about the Oppo is it handles all the advanced HT codecs internally or bitstreams them and does SACD via PCM or DSD..and on and on.
I am sure there are other cd decks that are as good or even better built, but this one is in the sweet spot for a great all around player for stereo to HT and beyond.

Alex

mchuckp

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:43 pm »
The nice thing about the Oppo is it handles all the advanced HT codecs internally or bitstreams them and does SACD via PCM or DSD..and on and on.
I am sure there are other cd decks that are as good or even better built, but this one is in the sweet spot for a great all around player for stereo to HT and beyond.

Alex

I use the HDMI jack for surround sound and the analog L/R jack for music.  I love that the menu asks you if you want SACD to default to multichannel or stereo.  I'm a stereo guy!  I also love that they did create a dedicated 2-channel section in the player with it's own 2-channel DAC.  I'm sure Oppo will likely eventually release a lower cost bluray player with just HDMI but this player I think is meant to be more of a "giant killer".  That is arguable if they achieved that.  But I personally have never seen a player with such a great DVD picture and great features all the way around that just works.

Sorry to cheerlead, but I've bought a lot of gear over the last few years that just has quarks to it.  It's nice to have something that does what it is supposed to do and do it well.

Can't wait to get some Salks and hook it up!  The agony of waiting.....

Art_Chicago

« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:49 pm »

Alex

I use the HDMI jack for surround sound and the analog L/R jack for music.  I love that the menu asks you if you want SACD to default to multichannel or stereo.  I'm a stereo guy!  I also love that they did create a dedicated 2-channel section in the player with it's own 2-channel DAC.  I'm sure Oppo will likely eventually release a lower cost bluray player with just HDMI but this player I think is meant to be more of a "giant killer".  That is arguable if they achieved that.  But I personally have never seen a player with such a great DVD picture and great features all the way around that just works.

Sorry to cheerlead, but I've bought a lot of gear over the last few years that just has quarks to it.  It's nice to have something that does what it is supposed to do and do it well.

Can't wait to get some Salks and hook it up!  The agony of waiting.....

So, does Oppo BD-83 outperform all these BD's by Sony, Panasonic and so on <$500 in terms of a picture quality? Just curious.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:20 am »
There are many comments about this over at avsforum under the blue-ray section...

I had a Sony BDP S300, the BD quality was good but the OPPO has adjustments that the first gen Sonys and others do not have via the Anchor Bay chip and by turning on function and adjustments for the first time.

I you have a newer Sony Blu Ray I dont think its worth upgrading for the blu ray by itself.

I have several decks, and the 2 ch on this is better for sure....

The Sony BDP 300 I has was extremely Slooooooooowwwwww, painfully.

The Oppo is FAST, almost like a STD Dvd deck.

I prefer the 2 ch audio analog output vs the hdmi output...after many, many hours of switching back and forth.

What makes this player so nice is that it decodes and bitstreams all the codecs...Sony and the rest have always trailed in this area...Oppo delivered and even added
SACD, and DVD audio.

Alex