Super V sound after the build

Danny Richie

Re: Super V sound after the build
« Reply #80 on: 27 May 2012, 07:14 pm »
Again, my thought was to move the coupling cap inside the amp chassis at the input. But you have an even better idea with a coupling cap replacing the amps cap. But being an electronic dummy, couldn't the Sonicap I have now simply replace the amps cap, wherever that might hide?

If your amp has an input coupling cap then you can simply replace the cap or by-pass that input with a new input on the amp using the Sonicap Platinum in line with it.

I hate ruining a perfectly expensive cable, but the tradeoff would be worth it. Another idea is that I lose the interconnect and simply run a wire from the hot position of the speaker post to the plate amp terminal jack. What would be the better solution for ultimate sound?

Using the speaker level input on the amp works fine too, but whatever coloration there is from your amp will be passed on to the servo amp. Also many amps are soft or tend to roll off the lows a bit. That will also get passed onto the servo amp and result in softened lows.

The RCA input is your best bet. And if there is something negative in the sound when using the Sonicap Platinum as an in line filter then there is something else causing it besides the cap. Keep in mind that the quality level of the Platinum is just above the V-Cap that you are using in your amps. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #81 on: 29 May 2012, 02:33 pm »
I performed both mods yesterday, that is, a retermination from RCA to balanced on the interconnects, then I installed the caps inside the amp at the posts, a simple procedure. Since the Torii has 2 sets of inputs, I can easily AB between the Sonicap and full range inputs. Here's what we discovered;

Separating the signal going to the plate amps and main amp was a major improvement.  :duh: I guess I should have expected that and now I'm sorry that the folks at the getogether didn't experience this nuance. That was a GAF in my part sorry about that.
The change mostly centered around the performance of the upper registers or treble region. We no longer hear a saturation that was present, just extended sweet highs. Another nuance I noted was how real sounding the finish of a vocal was. It is in the trailing notes that I was struck by how present the voice was in our room. Instruments took on even greater clarity and space within the room. Image depth improved as well. Image width did not improve. Nor did the idea that there are musicians and instruments placed in specific boundaries in the room although it seemed that the singer was well placed between the speakers very focused in fact. Image depth as well is great, just not spread from wall to wall and not forward of the plane of the speakers.

I swear the bass got better too. It's probably a placebo effect thing, since everything else sounds better, well the bass sounds better too. But listening to Porcupine Tree, I was !#*king mesmorized  :o  I was laughing  :lol:

Adding the Sonic cap inside the amp was interesting after having it sound miserable in my kludge. Without the cap all was well anyway but how does it sound with the cap in line? Smoother. Vocals are simply smoother. Without the cap it at first listen seems more extended in the highs but going back to the cap we think this extension might be noise as it no doubt is brighter but loses it's analog like quality. I couldn't get a sense of much more than that but to be truthful, we just wanted to hear music, not constantly screw with ABing  :)

My wife still misses the image placement of instruments we had with the LS6's, different room, different speakers, different equipment. She loves everything else about the V's. There was a lot of "wow"s last night. And not typical from a female perspective, she actually likes the treble region brighter than what I like to hear it at. I think she's a space junkie  :lol: We will have to play with some diffusers at some point. The bass traps acting as diffusers is probably another one of those "bad ideas" of mine.  :oops:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #82 on: 29 May 2012, 03:23 pm »
Awesome!  That means we'll all just have to come back this weekend. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #83 on: 29 May 2012, 07:10 pm »
Awesome!  That means we'll all just have to come back this weekend.
........ummmm, you might want to push that back at least 1 weekend :green:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #84 on: 29 May 2012, 08:46 pm »
Yup,  Weekend after next.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #85 on: 29 May 2012, 09:26 pm »
Yup,  Weekend after next.

Cool, more tasty wine!  :drool:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #86 on: 29 May 2012, 11:17 pm »
SoCal, his lovely wife and I will be having dinner friday night in Newport Beach.  It would be a pleasure to have you guys join us. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #87 on: 30 May 2012, 02:38 am »
SoCal, his lovely wife and I will be having dinner friday night in Newport Beach.  It would be a pleasure to have you guys join us.

My lovely wife will be working while you folks enjoy dinner  :(

She'll get off work at 12 midnight, catch a few hours of sleep then will drive to The Show showing up at around 11 I'm guessing.

I'll be looking Cheesy, SoCal and their better halves lurking about the show with expensive gear tucked under their arms.  :green:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #88 on: 30 May 2012, 03:24 pm »
Cash and carry baby!  A Modwright KV-150SE mono under each arm.  I guess we can all dream. 
We'll see you on Saturday, all cheesey and stuff.  Drive carefully. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #89 on: 30 May 2012, 04:22 pm »
My lovely wife will be working while you folks enjoy dinner  :(

She'll get off work at 12 midnight, catch a few hours of sleep then will drive to The Show showing up at around 11 I'm guessing.

I'll be looking Cheesy, SoCal and their better halves lurking about the show with expensive gear tucked under their arms.  :green:
...... not gonna happen.............

... if it's expensive, it's probably very heavy, and I ain't gonna lug that around (it'll get carried to the trunk of the car PRONTO)

:green:

KUDOS to your wife for being willing to drive down for the show under those conditions!

Hope to se you at the show at some point. Looking forward to this. Trying to figure out whether or not I want to bring any demo material. It's a pain carrying extra things around these shows.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #90 on: 30 May 2012, 06:58 pm »
I'm bringing some earwax removal drops.  Thats it.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #91 on: 30 May 2012, 07:27 pm »
Where are you guys going for dinner Friday night?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #92 on: 30 May 2012, 07:53 pm »
Where are you guys going for dinner Friday night?
We've been discussing Woody's Wharf.

http://www.woodyswharf.com/

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #93 on: 30 May 2012, 07:58 pm »
Good food?

Do we need to make reservation?

Also, may we join you?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #94 on: 30 May 2012, 08:35 pm »
I'm good with you joining.  Are you good SoCal?

Seafood not too expensive.  Always a great piece of halibut.
Casual envionment.  Usually music after 9 Pm.  On the marina

Woody's Warf
2318 Newport Blvd.
949-675-0474

SoCalWJS

« Reply #95 on: 30 May 2012, 09:18 pm »
Good food?

Do we need to make reservation?

Also, may we join you?
How many is "we"????? :green: :green: :green:

I'll probably call and make reservations tonight. Was thinking 730 or so if they have seating at that time. I'm guessing if I get a table for 6 or so, we should be good.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #96 on: 30 May 2012, 09:24 pm »
We = 5   :)

Thanks,

SoCalWJS

« Reply #97 on: 30 May 2012, 09:36 pm »
so 5+2+1=8

Any thoughts on the timing? - it's going to take awhile to get there from the show. I think the show ends at 6. Allow a minimum of an hour for people to wind up/recover. Not sure how bad traffic is, but probably 30-40 minutes for comfort.

7:30??

8???????

SoCalWJS

« Reply #98 on: 31 May 2012, 03:12 am »
Went ahead and made reservations for 7:45 outside overlooking the water (they have heaters if it gets cold)

If anybody needs adjustments, let me know so I can change it.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #99 on: 31 May 2012, 05:04 am »
Awesome!  Thanks for handling the details.  One more day of work and it's off to LA!