No Rez in vintage speakers

Atexanathome

No Rez in vintage speakers
« on: 3 Jun 2012, 05:32 pm »
I've been putting No Rez into old speakers like the Advent 3002, but I'm wondering if I should modify the amount of fiberglass stuffing after adding the No Rez.

I can't really tell if putting all the stuffing back in is causing a change in bass response because these speakers are usually non-functional when I receive them. I refurbish them and give them away to keep them out of the dumpster.

Should I leave out enough stuffing to equal the volume of the No Rez, or  am I obsessing about nothing?

Danny Richie

Re: No Rez in vintage speakers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2012, 08:17 pm »
I've been putting No Rez into old speakers like the Advent 3002, but I'm wondering if I should modify the amount of fiberglass stuffing after adding the No Rez.

I can't really tell if putting all the stuffing back in is causing a change in bass response because these speakers are usually non-functional when I receive them. I refurbish them and give them away to keep them out of the dumpster.

Should I leave out enough stuffing to equal the volume of the No Rez, or  am I obsessing about nothing?

The damping layer take up air space. The foam layer adds air space. It is about a wash. You can add back the original damping material for fine tuning.

wgallupe

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2012, 11:46 pm »
The foam layer adds air space.

Are you sure about that Danny?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2012, 02:39 am »

Yes, it slows down the air flow in the box and makes the woofer act as if it is in a larger air space.

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2012, 04:16 am »

It acts like polyfill. I've used it more than once. Nice product. Sounds like you should check it out  :thumb:

wgallupe

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2012, 01:00 pm »
Yes, it slows down the air flow in the box and makes the woofer act as if it is in a larger air space.

Very interesting and good to know. Thanks.