lone star audio fest 2015

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
lone star audio fest 2015
« on: 11 Jan 2015, 04:28 am »
it's getting to be that time of year again.
make plans.
http://lonestaraudiofest.com/

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: lone star audio fest 2015
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2015, 04:02 am »
I plan on being there again this year.

Mike

apollophono

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2015, 04:20 am »
It would be cool to have different areas of Texas or other states were
represented by their respective regional audio clubs.  Austin hasn't
had a club for awhile, but it would be nice to know who is there from
this area.  Just thinking out loud.

If enthusiasts wore shirts with the respective club affiliations it would be
interesting.  For example when motorcycle riders get together they
wear their respective club gear.  Ok, that sounds silly.  That might
lead to fights between different club members over LP or CD.  Beer
bottles would be breaking and people going to the emergency room
from cuts and bruises.   :rotflmao:

marvda1

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2015, 04:37 am »
maybe you can get a few guys together, get a room, and bring up a small system.  put your club name on the door and have a good time.  we have guys from houston, san antonio, galveston and guys locally do this.

vinylphobia

• US Distribution
    • Believe High Fidelity
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2015, 02:30 pm »
I'll volunteer.  I have met the guys from Houston, but was very surprised that there wasn't a club out here in Austin area.

-Joshua

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2015, 04:42 am »
Lone Star Audio Fest is less than two months away and its starting to look like this show is hitting its stride again.  The addition of the Record Day tells me that its on the right path.

For those of you not familiar with me, I am a regular on the Polk Audio forum under the same moniker, as well as a semi-regular at WhatsBestForum.  This marks the 5th or 6th year for me to attend this show and my third year to legitimately show products.  This year is marking a big year for me: I'll be bringing three new-to-market products to show this year:

1. Usher Mini X with matching stands
2. Usher T-515 with stands
3. Essence DPA-440 Class D amp

For those who have attended this show before, I am the Usher guy.  The past two or three years, I've held a demo room with my CP-6311's.  I also had the Shuguang 845 monoblocks that garnered a lot of attention last year.  In addition to my continuing partnership with Douglas Connection cables, I've extended my reaches to Usher and Essence to try and garner more attention at this year's show.  I expect the Mini X to be a show-stopper this year - I've had the chance to hear these break in over the past month or so and they are absolutely phenomenal.  For those of you not familiar with it, this is the successor to the critically acclaimed Be-718.  While I've never heard the 718, if they are even a fraction of what these Mini X can do, they must be great speakers.

vinylphobia

• US Distribution
    • Believe High Fidelity
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2015, 08:46 pm »
I might have to pass this year exhibiting.  I am not sure my amps will be in the US by then and even if they do show up they won't have much break in time before the show if at all.  Anyone else from Austin want to volunteer if I can't pull through?

marvda1

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2015, 12:49 am »
just bring a small system and have a good time.  bring a brisket or two from franklins. :thumb:

vinylphobia

• US Distribution
    • Believe High Fidelity
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2015, 02:39 pm »
Lol.  I will see what I can work out.

:green:

vinylphobia

• US Distribution
    • Believe High Fidelity
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2015, 08:15 pm »
I am for sure not going to be exhibiting.  Don't think anyone really wants to hear Emotiva monitors  which is all I have at the moment.

Anyone from Austin exhibiting?  I can bring some BBQ (maybe not from Franklin's though)

marvda1

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm »
just bring a bottle or two, we can find bbq.

sebrof

« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2015, 11:39 pm »
Anyone from Austin exhibiting?  I can bring some BBQ (maybe not from Franklin's though)
Myself and a few of my friends will be bringing a system up from Austin. It will be made up of a couple of pieces from each of our systems, so not 100% sure about all the parts and pieces yet. I plan to bring my Well Tempered table and Klyne phono preamp, and one of the other guys has a DIY preamp, DIY amp and LSA speakers which I haven't seen yet. Add an Ayre DAC and music server and we're in business.  Oh yeah, and a cooler full of refreshments  :thumb:

Look for the 5one2 Audio room (you know, like the Austin 512 area code) and stop in and say hello. We'd love to share a drink and a few songs with y'all.

vinylphobia

• US Distribution
    • Believe High Fidelity
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2015, 02:50 pm »
Awesome.  Will likely go on Sat depending on the weather might go on Friday. 

Will make sure the cooler is stocked.  I always make a stop at the Czech Stop  for some Kolaches too

italynstylion

« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2015, 05:53 pm »
I'll be there showing the line arrays and a new version of my media server. Can't wait to see everyone. And if there will be brisket I'll be REALLY excited!!! :green:

sebrof

« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2015, 06:49 pm »
I'll be there showing the line arrays and a new version of my media server. Can't wait to see everyone. And if there will be brisket I'll be REALLY excited!!! :green:
Impressive. I'll have to check them out...Should be easy to find  :thumb:

italynstylion

« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm »
Impressive. I'll have to check them out...Should be easy to find  :thumb:
You'll be able to hear us down the hall  :lol:

The Stereo Clarity room will be rocking! 8)

marvda1

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2015, 02:30 am »
just got these in tonight, anyone want to demo them in their room at the show?  these are the maraschino cherry mono block amps from the digital amplifier company.

Specifications

Gain: 22dB

SNR: 118dB

THD+N: 0.003%

Size: 5" x 6" x 6"

Power Efficiency: 96%

Output Impedance: <0.02Ω

Sensitivity: 3.1Vin for 400W into 4Ω

Weight: <8 lbs/ch (amp on base)

Input Impedance: 20 kΩ true balanced

Frequency Response: 0 Hz to >100 kHz

Output Power per channel:

200W into 8Ω

400W into 4Ω

500W into 2Ω  (both channels driven)

Protection:

Thermal

Current

Voltage

Auto-Recovery

AC MAINS options (based on shipping destination):

100-130VAC

200-250VAC

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2015, 05:03 pm »
I expect the Mini X to be a show-stopper this year - I've had the chance to hear these break in over the past month or so and they are absolutely phenomenal.  For those of you not familiar with it, this is the successor to the critically acclaimed Be-718.  While I've never heard the 718, if they are even a fraction of what these Mini X can do, they must be great speakers.

Honestly the new Mini X is not likely to be close to the performance of the BE-718. Take a look inside the new Mini X. Crossover parts quality is likely to be very much like the original BE-718 seen here:

Let's just say that the parts quality and wire used were very inexpensive.  :(

The BE-718 that won all the awards and had all the glowing reviews had a completely redesigned crossover that used Erse XQ inductors, Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and JPS Labs internal wire. The difference between it and the original was pretty significant. See it below:

You'd have to do similar upgrades to the new Mini to get it up to that level, but that would not be a problem.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2015, 11:48 pm »
Danny, I don't doubt that at all.  However, I've seen much lesser crossover components used on products that cost the same, if not more than, the Mini X.  If a company were to skimp on something in the speaker, I'd rather it be the crossover.  These can be replaced and improved upon much easier than a cabinet or drivers can be.

I imagine most that have owned and enjoyed the Be-718 have not heard the upgraded ones I know you worked on.  For them, my statement still stands - a stock Mini X should be a nice improvement over a stock Be-718.  The tweeter alone is quite an improvement.  Visually, the X is the clear winner.  I love my 6311's, but I've never liked the appearance of the bookshelf offerings from that line.  They lose the charm and intrigue of the towers.

Are you going to make it out to the show this year?  Things are finally moving with Russ's speakers again.  He's gonna have some big boys to bring to the show.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2015, 11:55 pm »
Danny, I don't doubt that at all.  However, I've seen much lesser crossover components used on products that cost the same, if not more than, the Mini X.  If a company were to skimp on something in the speaker, I'd rather it be the crossover.  These can be replaced and improved upon much easier than a cabinet or drivers can be.

I imagine most that have owned and enjoyed the Be-718 have not heard the upgraded ones I know you worked on.  For them, my statement still stands - a stock Mini X should be a nice improvement over a stock Be-718.  The tweeter alone is quite an improvement.  Visually, the X is the clear winner.  I love my 6311's, but I've never liked the appearance of the bookshelf offerings from that line.  They lose the charm and intrigue of the towers.

Are you going to make it out to the show this year?  Things are finally moving with Russ's speakers again.  He's gonna have some big boys to bring to the show.

Actually all 200 pairs of BE-718's that were sold in North America had the upgraded crossovers. And every pair that was reviewed had the upgraded crossovers.

I might have time to come to the show for one day.