Cheap and Cheerful "swarm" system?

Rclark

Re: Cheap and Cheerful "swarm" system?
« Reply #120 on: 17 Nov 2011, 07:07 pm »
 When you say multiple, you mean two right? And you went the other way back to one sub?  Which one are you running?

You're the first person I've seen go back down in number. Did you do measurements? Did you treat your room?

I do get nice response from my current one sub setup. You can see where it is in the pic. I don't have any measurements but it blends very nicely. I can tell where it is though and it doesn't really fill the whole room at low volume. That's what I want. But at higher volume it crushes. I think it's tuned very low. Probably why it sounds so good. Feature wize, it's very basic. Still a very musical sub. I'll have fond memories using it, but its days are numbered. I've not really experienced many subs, so looking forward to exploring my options.

Anyone else wanna try and convince me one sub is better? That's a new one.

bfr1992t

« Reply #121 on: 17 Nov 2011, 10:39 pm »
PE has their basic powered sub on sale. No experience with them nor have I looked at the specs, just adding the info to the thread.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=THANKSGIVING_NOV_2011&srchExt=&perPage=25&sortBy=1&layout=LIST&page=1&srchPrice=&srchCat=620&srchMfg=301&srchPromo=&srchAttr=

Rclark

« Reply #122 on: 17 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm »
Those are definitely C&C and should be considered.

persisting1

« Reply #123 on: 17 Nov 2011, 11:20 pm »
When you say multiple, you mean two right? And you went the other way back to one sub?  Which one are you running?

You're the first person I've seen go back down in number. Did you do measurements? Did you treat your room?

I do get nice response from my current one sub setup. You can see where it is in the pic. I don't have any measurements but it blends very nicely. I can tell where it is though and it doesn't really fill the whole room at low volume. That's what I want. But at higher volume it crushes. I think it's tuned very low. Probably why it sounds so good. Feature wize, it's very basic. Still a very musical sub. I'll have fond memories using it, but its days are numbered. I've not really experienced many subs, so looking forward to exploring my options.

I hade two ACI Force XLs.  One of my favorite subwoofers.  From what I've read, a really good pairing for Maggies.  I did do measurements and for me, one subwoofer was enough. 
I spent days trying to find the optimal room placement for the sub.  Once I did, I had no need for the second.  Then again, I'm not big on bass.  Just want something clean, tight and blends in well. 

JohnR

« Reply #124 on: 18 Nov 2011, 12:10 am »
Wow, $100 for a 12" sub is crazy.

I can tell where it is though

What crossover frequency is it set at? You could also try an external DSP crossover to get a higher slope.

Like anything, it's about implementation (Hint: measurements ;) ), there's no best/easy answer for every situation.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #125 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:56 am »
I've had multiple subs in a small room and I ended up just using one.  You might not hear much of a difference than if you just went with one high quality sub.  It came down to room placement for me. 

Like I told you clarky, have you tried moving the sub yet?