Tartan Cables by Blue Jeans

gcos

Tartan Cables by Blue Jeans
« on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:14 pm »
Has anyone tried Tartan cables? They are the budget brand of BJC..certainly cheap but are they cheerful?

srb

Re: Tartan Cables by Blue Jeans
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:57 am »
Looks to be pretty much the same Chinese cables as sold by Monoprice.  In some cases they are actually a little bit cheaper.  I assume that's who they are trying to compete against, although Monoprice still has more configurations and lengths to choose from.

Steve

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2011, 06:22 pm »
We just bought two complete sets of Blue Jeans cables, speaker wires, interconnects, USB cables and all, so we will have reliable low noise, well shielded cables with solid non-destructive terminations for use at the upcoming RMAF and here in house.  We ordered their standard grades. The RCA plugs are great, the speaker wires are done with locking banana plugs and they work great too. The internal wire to jack connections are welded so they won't come loose.

I hear no difference between these and the normal scrap grade stuff I have used for years, but at least they are solid and reliable and low capacitance and well shielded and are not going to break the jacks off of the equipment.

Strongly recommend if you have a few extra bucks and don't plan into buying into the big bucks gonzo cable game.

Frank Van Alstine

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2011, 09:55 pm »
I have the BJ LC-1's which are inexpensive and have the Taversoe RCA connectors. Those ends grip tight but will let go unlike some Monoprice cables that recently pulled a jack right out of my amp.

JEaton

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2011, 08:40 pm »
I hear no difference between these and the normal scrap grade stuff I have used for years, but at least they are solid and reliable and low capacitance and well shielded and are not going to break the jacks off of the equipment.

I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that this quote won't be seen any time soon in the Blue Jeans Cable promotional literature. :)

"Reliable" cables? Can't remember the last time I had a cable failure.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:37 pm »
I think Frank meant the cables would not fail, by letting in unwanted noise, or suffer the signal with a poor design, at one time or another. We all have different systems, in different homes, in different places. Some folks are close to RF towers, others, next to factories, others (like me) out in the boonies. A good cable design will not "fail" in any of these different settings.

Wayner

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm »
"Reliable" cables? Can't remember the last time I had a cable failure.
I can. Like Frank and Wayne said, anytime a jack is damaged, or there is cable induced noise, etc., that by definition is a cable failure. It happens, but I've never had it happen with BJC wire.

Cornelis

ratso

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm »
i have used them for years and love them. full disclosure, i am not a guy that thinks any cable sounds "better" than any other (as long as the gauge is sufficient). i have bought monoprice cables that literally did not fit around/inside binding posts and rca connectors - never a complaint with tartan. and the owner is a guy that deserves to be supported, if for no other reason than standing up to monster cables.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2011, 11:59 pm »
I have heard good things as well, build quality wise. Thick and heavy.